Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in Dublin to get engagement rings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Robocop2010

Have recently bought a diamond engagement ring in Thomas Gear Jewellers and was very surprised at how reasonable they are. Have been looking around for the last few weeks for a diamond engagement ring, would recommend them. There's also plenty of diamond ring online shops out there in the UK, but glad I spent my hard earned cash in an irish jewellers.:)

Cheers,
    D.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

Going to Dublin over the next couple of days to look for an engagement ring. Seamus from Volitare Diamonds is on holidays until end of August so can't make an appointment with him. Can ye recommend some jewellers that I should visit?

What are Fields, Ernest Jones, Applebys, Weirs & John Breneton like??

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

culsoh wrote: »
    Going to Dublin over the next couple of days to look for an engagement ring. Seamus from Volitare Diamonds is on holidays until end of August so can't make an appointment with him. Can ye recommend some jewellers that I should visit?

What are Fields, Ernest Jones, Applebys, Weirs & John Breneton like??

i got all of my wife's jewellery in weldons on clarendon street, behind brown thomas. definately worth a look.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I got my engagement ring in Fields on Grafton St and I found them really helpful, we were brought down to a little private room to look at stuff, they were very relaxed and there was no pressure, and we got a good deal on the ring.

I wasn't overly impressed with Ernest Jones, we found them very pushy and they totally weren't listening to what we were saying. I wanted a thin band because my fingers are quite small and they kept showing us massive rings even though we kept saying that wasn't what we wanted, so we just left.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭07734

Toots* wrote: »

I wasn't overly impressed with Ernest Jones, we found them very pushy and they totally weren't listening to what we were saying. I wanted a thin band because my fingers are quite small and they kept showing us massive rings even though we kept saying that wasn't what we wanted, so we just left.

LOL, that has to be about the most annoying thing in the world! fair play for walking out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Thomas1981

shops in the powerscourt shopping centre are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭thumper10

try volitaire diamonds, love my engagement ring,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Have recently bought a diamond engagement ring in Thomas Gear Jewellers and was very surprised at how reasonable they are. Have been looking around for the last few weeks for a diamond engagement ring, would recommend them. There's also plenty of diamond ring online shops out there in the UK, but glad I spent my hard earned cash in an irish jewellers.:)

Cheers,
    D.

His son Jeff Gear is also a Jeweler with a shop on Parnell street. Couldn't recommend him enough. Great guy to deal with and reasonably priced. I would advise anyone buying a ring to do their research on the the 3 C's and then spend a few days shopping around, find a cut, size and metal that suits and compare and contrast prices and be sure the stone is certified, preferably by the GIA..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I am looking for antique ring (not engagement).

can anyone recommend some good antique shops around dublin ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

irishbird wrote: »

thanks

Went by this place in the Powerscourt Townhouse centre and it had a huuuge amount of rings in the windows, I was amazed by the variety and the design of all the old ringboxes and the rings themselves of course.

http://delphiantiques.com/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

ESL in Powerscourt are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dubgal22

I recently got engaged and i cannot recommend enough glynn jewellers in abbey street its a wholesale jewellers and workshop on site fabulous value and service

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

dubgal22 wrote: »
    I recently got engaged and i cannot recommend enough glynn jewellers in abbey street its a wholesale jewellers and workshop on site fabulous value and service

I second that! Patrick Glynn`s is where I got my fiancee`s engagement ring last year, went back there for our wedding rings this year and they remembered everything about us:-) excellent customer service and advice (prices aren`t bad either;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NatashaS

irishbird wrote: »

thanks

Delphi Antiques is great - and Declan, the owner really knows his stuff. O'Reillys, on Francis Street hold auctions every month and often has some really beautiful pieces. If you're ever out the Galway direction, Cobwebs is a must-visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Jaw

Hi. Firstly I want to make it clear that I don't work for Voltaire, I dont know Seamus at all ( other then the single dealing I had with him) and he didnt give me money off/induce me to post positive comments on here, so with all that being said;
    I think it is an excellent company and well worth a first. My good lady and myself got engaged on a Friday night and I had an appointment made with Seamus for early Saturday.( I had rung, left a message and he got back to me within the hour. That was a Tuesday and the appointment was made for a Saturday) This was based on reviews on boards. I had spent months subtley trying to get information on what type of ring she liked and then took this information to various shops around the place. I found them all to be very kind and all that but they were really onlyl after the sale of the most expensive thing I could get. 3 times I had to tell different shops that the ring they were putting in front of me was not her style, but they knew it was within budget and started saying stuff like "you could go for that but it will look very small on her hand" ( They never saw her so I dont know how they knew this) or lots of people go for that option and regret it later.It is a life long investment" Anyway I bought a token ring and arrived to Seamus early on a Saturday. He immediately put us at ease and took out loads of rings. After about twenty minutes of "yes, no and maybe's" he said that he had exactly what she would like and produced a ring that he had made to order for another customer. My darling other half, being the great poker player almost screamed "that is the one, I want it, I want it!!" Seamus actually encouraged us to go away, look around and come back if we saw anything we liked. We did see something very similiar to the ring he showed ( diamonds were slightly different and placed is different housings). It was about double the price Seamus was asking and was a grade down in terms of clarity and carat. We went back to him with a picture and he said he could have it within 4 weeks at the previously agreed price. (This was actually well below my disclosed budget, but we wont tell her that!!!) She just loved it.
    I generally hate shopping. I have a closet of suits and jumpers at home that I never wear but bought just because I freak out when the sales person puts the squeeze on me. I am massively immature about it but Seamus was dead sound from start to finish. I did do some reaearch in terms of cut, clarity etc which did help but I do thin Volatire are a brilliant place to start.
    All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

jack01 wrote: »

I agree. I also had a bad experience. Very over-rated in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭winterlight

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I agree. I also had a bad experience. Very over-rated in my opinion.

I agree with these reviews about Voltaire Diamonds.

We love the ring. It's exactly what we wanted. We got it for a good price (better than Applebys, but not rock-bottom by any means)-

but there was a long, long wait for it that we weren't quite prepared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dimpey

Try Des Byrne on Batchelors Walk. Been in the business for years. Got my engagement ring and wedding ring there in 1974 also both my sons got their rings [engagement] and wedding rings there. Brilliant people to deal with. Des and his family are great to deal with.

Best of luck for the future.

Ah Jack01 that does suck indeed. I am sorry to hear that. I know the future Mrs Jaw was very very anxious to get her ring and was almost counting the days down. To wait over 3 months is not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jack01

The Jaw: You obviously know firsthand how excited us women get when it comes to an engagement ring :)
    It takes a bit of the excitement out of it when you end up waiting this long but once I have my ring now I plan on doing plenty of celebrating!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I'm newly engaged (Squeee!)

My fiance designed the ring with Seamus from Voltaire diamonds and I'm overwhelmed with the quality and how beautiful the ring looks!

My fiance said he was an absolute gent to deal with and very professional. Would highly recommend! Can't stop looking at my engagement ring, fabulous! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

We've ordered our ring from Seam at Volt and I've just thought of something ... are his diamonds certified? GIA etc. I can't seem to find anywhere saying that they are. Which leads me to believe they're not. Can anyone give me some advice on whether to go ahead with our purchase or not? Is it a bad thing that they're not certified ... if they are good enough tho then why aren't the certified?

Also, not wishing any bad luck on the man but someone pointed out to me that givin he works in a small way what happens if he's not there in a few years time if anything goes wrong with the ring? No comeback?

Hmm ..Concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My ring is from Voltaire and it's GIA certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Thanks Bobblehead Panda ;)

Rodar08 Yes the ring I bought is GIA certified too. ( I did some research priorto buying and it seems that there are loads of certification agengies but GIA is the most respected). Seamus also gave me a valuation of the ring from an valuation service that we used for insurance on the ring.
    I know what you are sayinf re:the fact that he is a small operation, but I think that is what keeps the prices down and if there is a problem with the ring, i should be covered by insurance etc in the event that he does close if a few years. He seems to be doing ok though so...
    Best of luck with the ring. I hear the boys are supposed to get a present themselves.Wonder what I will get?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭All in all

Rodar08 wrote: »
    We've ordered our ring from Seam at Volt and I've just thought of something ... are his diamonds certified? GIA etc. I can't seem to find anywhere saying that they are. Which leads me to believe they're not. Can anyone give me some advice on whether to go ahead with our purchase or not? Is it a bad thing that they're not certified ... if they are good enough tho then why aren't the certified?

Also, not wishing any bad luck on the man but someone pointed out to me that givin he works in a small way what happens if he's not there in a few years time if anything goes wrong with the ring? No comeback?

Hmm ..Concerned

We met with Seamus but ultimately decided to buy elsewhere - went to a bricks and mortar shop who were able to offer the same ring design service and able to slightly better his quote after some haggling. They also provide free cleaning, etc.

Seamus does both certified and uncertified diamonds the split is 40/60 he told us but it depends on what is requested. We were also looking at only GIA certs after our research which work out significantly more on the quotes that Seamus (and everyone else) gave us to uncertified diamonds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dol_kav

[SNIP]

dol_kav please read the Charter before posting. Users with less than 20 posts or 2 months membership are not permitted to post recommendations for retailers/service providers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Jeff Gear on Parnell street or Brereton's on O'Connell st. If you buy the ring on Grafton st, expect to pay extra as the rent for shop fronts here is extremely excessive and this cost will be factored into the cost of the ring. Another option would be Ronan Campbell out in Citywest Business park. Trust me on these 3 been the best value around, as I did my research.. Best of luck with the hunt :)

+1, I would recommend the three Gear jewellers on the Northside. We just picked up my ring yesterday in Thomas Gear in the Ilac and it was a very positive experience... we didn't have a huge budget so they brought us out a selection in our price range and left us alone to try them on, no pressure. If sizing is a problem they can adjust it within an hour.

In the end I went for a beautiful white gold solitaire that was actually €250 under budget - and to top it off I got to walk out with it on the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

It's great to hear all the positive reviews of Voltaire Diamonds,we have an appointment to go in and see Seamus in a few weeks:)It sounds like he really knows his stuff,and gives people a great walkthrough of options,but I think I'd like to have my homework done too, brush up on the four C's:D
    I saw an interview with him where he was saying the fact that he doesn't have a shop front drives the prices down by 20-30%!He sounds like the second best option to actually going to Antwerp itself.
    Checked out a few rings in Boodles on Grafton Street yesterday.Beautiful rings but pricey!! Got a few quotes from them so will be interesting to compare them to Voltaire.Should be a fun day:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 XmasProposal

sickle wrote: »
    Went by this place in the Powerscourt Townhouse centre and it had a huuuge amount of rings in the windows, I was amazed by the variety and the design of all the old ringboxes and the rings themselves of course.

http://delphiantiques.com/index.php
    Any indication of the starting prices in this place? Would 6 or 7 hundred get anything?

Advertisement