Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-07-2011, 00:28   #1
deisedelight

IEC Habitual Residency Query

Hi All,

I am currently over in Canada on the 1 year USIT visa.

I am applying for the 2nd year visa through the IEC.

When filling out the application I saw a potential issue with this habitual residency.

It says on the website :
What does “3 years habitual residency requirement” mean?
This means that that a candidate’s habitual residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in Ireland for a period of at least three years full-time prior to applying to the IEC. An exception is made if the candidate is temporarily in a foreign country for studies or short-term work, depending on the amount of time spent outside UK.

I lived in UK for a number of years in my 20s and did not live in Ireland for full three years before coming to Canada. I,m confused with the word "prior" .
Do they mean like you must have lived in Ireland for at least 3 years of your life or directly before applying ......

Has anyone else had any issues or any experience with my query. Any help at all would be really appreciated . Cheers all.
Advertisement
26-07-2011, 05:35   #2
deisedelight

any feedback ??? :-)
26-07-2011, 06:19   #3
tenchi-fan

It probably means three years immediately before applying, although they will not usually take into account time spent holidaying (including other year-long working-holiday programmes)

The fact you already got the first visa suggests you won't have a problem getting another.
26-07-2011, 09:21   #4
FreeAnd..

exactly...you'll be fine...I was away for the 3 years immediately proceeding my application and had the exact same worries (2 years Oz and 1 year NZ) - I put everything down and got my LOI a few months back...
Thanks from:
26-07-2011, 19:18   #5
myleftfoot

Best of luck, I was in Ireland for longer than FreeAnd.. and got rejected.

Saying this tho I know A LOT of people in my position who were approved. In fact I'm the only 1 I know who got rejected. I've a feeling I got some ****ing prick doing my application.
Advertisement
27-07-2011, 03:33   #6
deisedelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAnd.. View Post
exactly...you'll be fine...I was away for the 3 years immediately proceeding my application and had the exact same worries (2 years Oz and 1 year NZ) - I put everything down and got my LOI a few months back...
cheers all for your feedback.

yeh see i was in UK for 2.5 years of the 3 years . with Oz and NZ it states that it ignores temporary visas. thats why i was concerned about putting UK down as i was nt on a temporary visa there obviously etc.
27-07-2011, 03:35   #7
deisedelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleftfoot View Post
Best of luck, I was in Ireland for longer than FreeAnd.. and got rejected.

Saying this tho I know A LOT of people in my position who were approved. In fact I'm the only 1 I know who got rejected. I've a feeling I got some ****ing prick doing my application.
sorry to hear that myleftfoot. did they give any reason why they refused you . could you not just reapply ?
27-07-2011, 09:10   #8
FreeAnd..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deisedelight View Post
cheers all for your feedback.

yeh see i was in UK for 2.5 years of the 3 years . with Oz and NZ it states that it ignores temporary visas. thats why i was concerned about putting UK down as i was nt on a temporary visa there obviously etc.
that could be a problem alright, just like myleftfoot (rough by the way - would it be worth just reapplying and see what happens?)
27-07-2011, 17:37   #9
myleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by deisedelight View Post
sorry to hear that myleftfoot. did they give any reason why they refused you . could you not just reapply ?
Yeah they said I didn't fulfill the Habitual Residency requirement. My application was refused not rejected so they didn't send it back out to me.

I've a feeling that if I really wanted to argue against it, get all my forms together again and re-apply I might get lucky. But I'm over it at this stage, and I've got other options (other than going back to Ireland).

Like I said, I'm the strange exception; I'm sure you'll be fine OP.
Advertisement
28-07-2011, 03:40   #10
tenchi-fan

Quote:
Well, dont forget they give you plenty of space on the form to explain the peculiarities of the visa you were on.
I emphasised my time spent in Australia was on a temporary, working-holiday-marker visa, for example.

However, for someone who actually worked in the UK for 2-3 years prior to applying, they may have problems fulfilling the habitual residency requirement.
28-07-2011, 08:21   #11
deisedelight

Quote:
Yeah they said I didn't fulfill the Habitual Residency requirement. My application was refused not rejected so they didn't send it back out to me.

I've a feeling that if I really wanted to argue against it, get all my forms together again and re-apply I might get lucky. But I'm over it at this stage, and I've got other options (other than going back to Ireland).

ah thats good mate you have options. how many years were you not in ireland before you applied and were you away on a tempory visa at the time.
28-07-2011, 08:26   #12
deisedelight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchi-fan View Post
Well, dont forget they give you plenty of space on the form to explain the peculiarities of the visa you were on.
I emphasised my time spent in Australia was on a temporary, working-holiday-marker visa, for example.

However, for someone who actually worked in the UK for 2-3 years prior to applying, they may have problems fulfilling the habitual residency requirement.
but it dont make sense because even if i did nt meet habitual residency requirement i still could not apply under UK IEC scheme as not a citizen. from what i ve read as well working in either the UK and Ireland is part of the Common Travel Agreement so in essence there is no habitual residency. I m gonna chance it anyway and see what happens as they say. if i get refused their visa is seriously in breach of EU rules which allows free movement of workers so to discriminate would be wrong.
28-07-2011, 21:25   #13
myleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchi-fan View Post

I did that Tecnhi, I didn't forget.
19-10-2012, 00:10   #14
lennyzez

I participated in IEC in 2010 and activated it october 26th 2010. so i used it up from 26th october 2010- 25th october 2011. then i got sponsered from 21st december 2011 - 20th december 2012. so i am near 2 years in canada.

I wonder will the habitual residence rule apply to me because i have been away from ireland more than 18 months...

Does this apply to your second IEC. Even though i have been in canada. seems a bit daft?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion