Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Rate for a cover band?

Options
  • 26-07-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Just wondering, whats the going rate for a cover band these days?
    We're just putting a set list together now with a view to start giggin in the next couple of months.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

depends.How many are going to be in the band? And what area will ye be gigging in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

i know its around €50-100 per member depending on venue promoter how much pull the band has then the proper big covers bands are getting up to and around €800 a show but sometimes these will have 5 or 6 members.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭flameboy87

I know alot of bands are undercutting themselves with their prices to get gigs so they are driving down the prices in alot of pubs so owners are expecting to not pay over certain prices for bands. Some 5 piece bands can get as little as 300 (IMO)with is pitiful considering the amount of equipment and practice thats needed.

This might be ok for a band trying to earn a reputation and to get in to a few bars or venues but I reckon 70 to 80 is minimum per band member per night. You have to treat it as a job if your doing covers and a night may take up to 6 to 7 hours to play if you include setting up and taking away the gear.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BIGDOGG

i'm full time player i play solo/duo and with 3/4/5 piece bands
    rates for pro players/bands are before VAT

solo: 100/200
    duo: 250/300
    trio: 350/450
    4piece: 450/650min
    5piece: 550/800

starting out you should agree a two tier price with the publican
    first gig at a cheap rate and every gig after that at the proper rate.
    this eliminates the risk for the publican and if his punters like the band he might pay the full rate.

box clever, right band right venue: a 5 piece rock/pop band in a pub that holds 150 ppl shouting for "sean south" won't get paid properly.

try and stick to three piece bands for pubs, maybe 4 piece in the bigger ones
    this keeps general cost down for the publican and splits the wedge nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Im in a 4 piece rock/pop covers band (typical pub list)

we mainly get 75-125 a man depending on the venue. For the 75 euro gigs, we just use a vocal pa and dont mic up the backline, so you get set up in around 30 mins. When the full backline needs to be miced up, then you need at least 100 a man as more equipment needs to be transported to the gig, set up, sound checked, taken down and transported from the gig.

Bigdogg is right about keeping the numbers in the band down, I started off in a 5 piece a few years ago (after the boom). Couldnt get paid properly and we took up too much space in the pubs we played in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

i know its around €50-100 per member depending on venue promoter how much pull the band has then the proper big covers bands are getting up to and around €800 a show but sometimes these will have 5 or 6 members.

The big bands as you put it start at 1200 and usually vat on top.

Advertisement