Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Mira Elite St question

Options
  • 29-05-2011 11:35pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Didn't want to hijack another thread.

The filters in my Mira are clean, also i put a calgon in the tank this morning as i worry about he hardness of the water in my area too.

This is my third mira in 7 years, its up about 18 months and i don't have the receipt, I know I'm a fool.

anyway the dial is very sensitive, it's not going hot and cold during use, just a tiny movement on the dial takes if from cold to too hot.

The pump seems fine the flow of water is good, it's wired correctly.

Must be a thermostat or something? anyone any ideas? should i just ring them ? or would it be a simple thing to fix in anyone experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Stoner wrote: »
    Didn't want to hijack another thread.

The filters in my Mira are clean, also i put a calgon in the tank this morning as i worry about he hardness of the water in my area too.

This is my third mira in 7 years, its up about 18 months and i don't have the receipt, I know I'm a fool.

anyway the dial is very sensitive, it's not going hot and cold during use, just a tiny movement on the dial takes if from cold to too hot.

The pump seems fine the flow of water is good, it's wired correctly.

Must be a thermostat or something? anyone any ideas? should i just ring them ? or would it be a simple thing to fix in anyone experience.

This is so similar to the other thread on this shower that its strange. There is no thermostat in these electric showers. Some mixer/power showers have them alright to vary the hot to cold mix ratio for a set temp automatically.

Is the water going from hot to fully cold with a change in dial position? That almost seems like the pressure switch is switching to open with a slight change in flow rate/pressure in shower.

Another possible cause is the element is badly scaled, which insulates it from the water, so at a certain flow rate the heating tank is kept just cool enough to work, but a slight increase in temp on dial (reduction in flow rate) results in the overheat cutout operating. This would cause the shower to cycle itself with heat on and off though, because if the overheat stat opens, the heating tank will cool and the stat will close again, and cycle starts again.

A badly scaled heating tank can probably cause the pressure switch to switch in and out with small changes in flow rate too(small temp dial adjustments), at different positions than it would with a clear heating tank and this will not cycle, but will stay cold or hot depending on which way the dial was adjusted, but fully cold is what would happen if this was the case.

So one of the main questions is does it go from hot to completely cold with the dial adjustment.

Overall if i was to make an educated guess, i would say heating tank limescale may be the problem anyway.

Did you try the calgon? Just noticed you were saying it was going from cold to too hot, is it from fully cold? I was reading it as going from too hot to cold. I`d a few too many the other night while posting for:).

If it was something like the pressure switch closing (which is to ensure the elements dont come on with no or too little water), then it would be going from fully cold to hot.

The pressure switch is after the heating tank as it goes to the shower head hose, so its between the tank and shower head.

This means a clogged head will reduce flow rate but increase pressure in the shower, so pressure switch stays on, and shower is just too hot right through the dial range.

A clogged/scaled element tank though, will reduce pressure on the outgoing side of the tank, so the water would have to be turned up that bit more to get the pressure switch to close, but at this flow rate, the shower may be too hot, so it switches from fully cold to too hot.

It might be none of the above, but if its from fully cold to too hot its going, its a good possibility. A simple test is to partially restrict the shower head holes while its running too cold, with a cloth etc, and this would close the pressure switch, and you would feel the water warming then with cloth still partially restricting the flow.

All of the above is only if its fully cold but changing to too hot on a dial temp increase.

Where did you put calgon as mattter of interest, direct into the shower tank? I`d say direct into shower tank itself would be worth while to see if it helps. An interesting one that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

it's going from hot straight to cold, or cold straight to hot, i cant hear the shower revving up or down as some units do when they struggle with heat. I put the calgon straight into the water tank in the attic, no difference yet.

However i was thinking of putting directly into the filter unit i could fit half a tab in there.

also with the main dial on max heat and the power dial on medium it's not too bad so its still working, so its warm enough for a shower. the shower head is clear

Yea that might work alright, maybe break the tablet into small crumb size pieces. Best way of all would be to remove the tank from shower and fill it with water and calgon while its removed. Not sure what the tank is like to remove from that particular one.

If the problem is the pressure switch operating as you move dial slightly, what would be noticed is that you would probably be turning the dial in the temperature cooling direction to make the heat come on, and in the temperature increasing direction would make it go cold. The same thing would happen if its the overheat cutout operating due to limescale, but if its the pressure switch operating, once it goes cold, it will stay cold without the heat coming back on if you left the shower running for a couple of minutes. If it was the overheat cutout, the heat would come back on again itself. So it might be worth leaving it running a few minutes when it goes cold to see.

Not sure if the pressure switches themselves go faulty in them, which would be another possibility maybe. Easy enough to test if it is the pressure switch operating with a meter. Needs to be done with shower running though.

Sometimes something simple we would miss in these matters with showers, like everything else electrical as you know.

also with the main dial on max heat and the power dial on medium it's not too bad so its still working, so its warm enough for a shower. the shower head is clear

Think you might of added this bit of post in after posting, this could tell us a lot, depending on which dials you mean.

The top dial (Low, Medium, High) you have on medium? And the bottom dial, the temperature one all the way up to hottest position? Or the other way around?

If thats the case, its the overheat cutout thats tripping the elements out, due to scale almost certainly.

• Advertisement

When elements are covered in scale, the water now does not remove heat from them as efficiently, so they overheat, and operate the cutout. Now the elements will cool, but again because of the scale, they wont cool near as quick as clean elements will, so while the heat on and off will cycle with the overheat stat going on and off, it will take a while.

So if your dial positions are as per top one at medium, and bottom one(temperature) up near its highest(red end of dial), then it is the overheat cutout operating when you have the elements all on. And de-scaling should fix that.

Did the calgon do anything for the shower? Or your still using it on medium element power?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Robbie have been waiting to get back on this sorry. I tried to get calgon directly into the filter, I would not advise this, so don't try it. I popped loads into the tank and it is improving, still using it on max power on medium but its warmer. It holds a little better on the max temp too but not fully there, I've used a whole box of it so far, and have noticed an improvement but its not perfect yet, hopefully it will be.

Must be scale in the shower heating tank alright so if its improving it.

It seems to be happening a lot on the mira`s, maybe their element setup is more prone to the scaling up or something.

Some lumps of scale may come out into the hose and get caught in the shower head so it needs to be washed out too just in case that happens.

yeah I'll check it, changed a triton last week, i'll post the pic up later on, it was melted inside, the newer model was rewired with shorted internal runs so hopefully it wont happen again.

• Advertisement

update

the Calgon has worked for my situation. So I intend to pop it into the tank every now and then to stop the build up.

I don't open the shower, I go to the tank feeding the shower and push the calgon into the pipe that feeds the shower, it starts to break apart very quickly. Then I run the shower for a few seconds and leave it over night.

Thats good anyway, once you had said it worked on low heat(1 element off), it seemed the likely cause alright.

My own t90 is beginning to cycle. I will probably remove the tank from it and de-scale that way. Scale seems to be causing a lot of shower problems.

Maybe an easy way to introduce de-scaler into the shower heating tanks by the manufacturers would be a possibility.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Thats good anyway, once you had said it worked on low heat(1 element off), it seemed the likely cause alright.

My own t90 is beginning to cycle. I will probably remove the tank from it and de-scale that way. Scale seems to be causing a lot of shower problems.

Maybe an easy way to introduce de-scaler into the shower heating tanks by the manufacturers would be a possibility.

I had industrial descaler, given to me by a friend, good stuff by all accounts, but I could not figure out how to get it into the shower without taking it apart, plus the tank in the shower is crimped, the way the showers are designed does not allow for gavity to aid the process, a maintenance route to add the descaler would be a gift.

I had industrial descaler, given to me by a friend, good stuff by all accounts, but I could not figure out how to get it into the shower without taking it apart, plus the tank in the shower is crimped, the way the showers are designed does not allow for gavity to aid the process, a maintenance route to add the descaler would be a gift.

It can be done by disconnecting the water feed to the shower after the gate valve in attic, then disconnecting the solenoid valve leads and supplying only the solenoid with a seperate 230v to allow water through, lie the hose down in bath to empty water from the shower tank and the now disconnected water pipe.

Then raise the shower hose above the shower unit onto its wall bracket and pour in the de-scaler in liquid form down the open water pipe in attic with a funnel until its coming out the raised shower head. This way it can be more concentrated and work overnight.

I might do it that way with my one with vinegar solution instead of removing the tank.

Not too difficult anyway for anyone with experience in electrical etc, but not an easy diy job though.

But your attic tank way seems to have worked well too.

I was also thinking of just sticking a graden hose down the pipe feeding the shower, and pouring the solution down the hose and running the shower for a couple of seconds.

That might work alright if you could avoid airlocks etc with the pump going. About 5 litres of the strong solution and run the shower for 20 seconds and then stop it.

With just the solenoid powered by disconnecting its own leads and connecting outside 230v, it can be poured in until its coming out the shower head which is above the shower unit height, showing the heat tank is now full. I will try it with my own one anyway and see. Its just beginning to show signs of scaling up.

Maybe actually having a very small tank in attic filled with calgon T`d into the feed pipe, switch a valve off from the main storage tank and on with the valve from the calgon mini tank would work too in areas where its a bad problem. Just have the small tank at least level with the big one in case both valves were left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

Coming late to this....quick question. I have a standard shower fed by an attic tank but live in a very hard water area.

Could you simply put a few calgon tablets in the attic tank and flow it through to clear pipes, tap diffusers and toilet feeds ?

I dont want to poison anyone ! ( we dont drink from that tank )

going to close this as a zombie thread,

but I've used the calgon tablets, but I found in my case that harpic lime scale remover flushed into the pipe from the tank while the shower is running worked for me. Its a two person job, stop the shower and stop squirting harpic when the water turns blue coming out of the shower, this process sucks the chemical into the shower rather than just diluting it into the whole tank, the shower pump will suck it in.

That shower is still going three years later, every now and then i flush it, leave it over night and then let it run for a while in the morning.

To clear and flush the whole system I'd say you'd be better asking the question on the plumbing thread and I'm sure there are better ways of doing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement