Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Lessons - Waterford

Options
  • 15-07-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for driving lessons in Waterford city. Anyone have any recommendations? (Looking for something cheap too :D )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I used Roadskill.ie with my kids and found them very good and had first time pass's with the three of them, 051 333909

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eolasguy

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I used Roadskill.ie with my kids and found them very good and had first time pass's with the three of them, 051 333909

Can you remember the cost per hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Jacqui Kiely from Top Gear is brilliant, i would highly recommend her

http://topgeardrivingacademy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I went to harmony, Ann vericker 086 884 3527.
    Very good instructor, get you out of bad habbits (I passed 1st time:D)!!!!

€35.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

+1
    I found Richard from there very good too. Can't remember the price though sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

I had a couple of lessons with Michael at Roadskill, and I thought he was absolutely spot on. Really clear, and really put me at ease - he had me so familiar with what to expect throughout the test that it basically felt like Id done it before

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eolasguy

Thanks everyone. Got it sorted. Went to Niall Dempsey from A Class School of Motoring Waterford. For €25 per lesson for the month of July I couldn't say no!

He was brilliant too. I actually enjoyed the lesson! Def going to be a returning customer!!

Linky:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Class-School-Of-MotoringIreland/148634615185660?sk=info

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

In my and friend's experience Norman Graham is the best driving instructor in Waterford

http://www.safewaydrivinglessons.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vicki3_2001

Hi,

i had my first lesson with Niall Dempsey from A Class School of Motoring Waterford yesterday. €25 per lesson

I've beeen a nervous driver since a car accident a few months back, so just need to build up my road confidence again.. Found him friendly and he make me relax, a few more lessons with him and I hope to be a confident driver once more :)

I would highly recommend him, especially to nervous learner drivers..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

Amzie wrote: »
    I went to harmony, Ann vericker 086 884 3527.
    Very good instructor, get you out of bad habbits (I passed 1st time:D)!!!!
    +1
    She's lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Deisesun

Hi.
    Following on advice from here, I decided to get lessons from Ann @ harmony. She seems to spot some bad habits but found her very blunt and invasive, when i was not using my mirrors she grabbed my hair!!! And use to put her feet up on the dashboard !! I don't mean to be harsh but just want others who might not be use to ppl being so in your face, and glad she has helped some ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

Ye, she puts her feet up on dashboard when she needs to fart..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I hope that's "road skill" and not "roads kill" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭deeks

Passed my test first time in January after getting lessons from Richie Roberts. Couldn't recommend him highly enough. Very nervous driver when I started with him he soon had me at ease. Also found that he covered a lot of stuff (routes etc) specific to the test as well as general driving skills which really put me at ease on the test day.

I recently recommended him to a friend who had failed the test and he couldn't believe the difference in the lessons that he got with Richie as opposed to his previous instructor. He passed with flying colours on the second attempt.

Hi eolasguy.

Just wondering how did you get on with the rest of your lessons? Im thinking of taking the test soon and wondering should I use the same guy you did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 june_rob

hey, if your looking for a good driving instructor give Maurice Walsh "ABC driving school" a call.I got lessons off him and passed my test first time :D his number is 086 1685434

Hi june_rob

thanks very much for the advice, I called him and A-Class, they are cheaper and have a current pass rate of 24 in a row! Cant go too wrong will keep you posted on how I go wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

I also rang around to check prices for lessons and found them all the same price as A class 25 euro. How do you know he had 24 passes in a row? I don't suppose he told you himself did he !!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

I used Niall in A-Class and passed first time. The guy is a real gent, was delighted with him.

I was with another lad before who seemed to be really busy, so you'd finish nearly before the hour was up, and was difficult to get bookings for. Niall on the other hand, if you were due to finish at 10, and he hadn't another booking until 10.30, he'd give you the extra 30 mins.

He even had me sucking on Rescue Remedy sweets on the day of my test. He had a chap before me who'd failed the test 7 or 8 times or something. Niall bought him the sweets to try and calm him down. The guy passed!

So, big fan of A Class, would recommend him to a friend.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reassurance An bodhran I met Niall (A-Class) for the fist time today, In reply to Fiesty lady I did my home work and got the following results.

I.S.M were priced at €35 a lesson
    Roadskill €35.
    Passmaster €35.
    A-Class €25 12 lessons or pre test.

And thats when I called last week, When I asked Niall about all the passes in a row he first rolled his eyes that I knew he said it puts ppl under more pressure and he laughed and said its now 28! He didnt care about the numbers.
    You should have a look at the Facebook page see all the comments, http://www.facebook.com/aclass.schoolofmotoring

And like you Bodhran he also gave me a extra half hour to help me understand hill starts more. Really helped my confidence, last instructor I had she use to be short and made me more nervous and use to be done before the hour and more expensive! I hope I can pull it off really need to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

thought this type of free advertising was banned on boards .!! have checked also and you are wrong on these prices. This is not celtic tiger era ALL driving instructors are giving extra time on lessons and at 25 euro . Also the rescue remedy is a trick of the trade I know from having 3teenagers doing driving test s recently all driving instructors use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

thought this type of free advertising was banned on boards .!! have checked also and you are wrong on these prices. This is not celtic tiger era ALL driving instructors are giving extra time on lessons and at 25 euro . Also the rescue remedy is a trick of the trade I know from having 3teenagers doing driving test s recently all driving instructors use it.

Hold on now, take a step back. Whoever started this thread was looking for people's recommendations on driving instructors. This forum is an essential source of information on local services. We have a long running thread on restaurant reviews for example. I gave my my recommendation based on personal experience. Whoever reads it can take it or leave it.

I used another guy in my first couple of lessons when I was getting started but wasn't massively keen on him. However I haven't and won't name him as I don't think it'd be fair to be giving a lad negative press. For the record he was charging more than A Class, didn't give any extra time, and this was a year ago - not Celtic Tiger era at all.

Also, looking at your 5 previous posts, they are all on driving instructors. In two you've recommended a particular instructor, and claim to have passed the test with him. Why were you ringing around looking at prices when you've already passed the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 __teenie__

The Hubby is a driving instructor he always sends his students to Paul Hutchinson, on the old Tramore road, just past Castlewoods. Never had a complaint yet !!!
    Feisty Lady - people in glass houses and all that....

Niall is a gent, would recommend him (and have) to friends. €25 an hour and very patient, even when with nervous drivers like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

Finally got around to finishing my 12th lesson with Niall.. he got a new car, first time ive ever driven without a handbrake.. kinda had me panic a little at the start..

He gave me info but ive misplaced it, where do i go about registering for the test?

now i can see why fiesty lady was out about Niall.. her Mr is an instructor as well :D

In this day and age you would wonder how anyone could provide a car fuel insurance etc and pay yourself and make any money at €25 per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

In this day and age you would wonder how anyone could provide a car fuel insurance etc and pay yourself and make any money at €25 per hour?

Relevance?

0rt wrote: »
    Relevance?

Observation,
    but who died and made you King that I have to answer to you, run along now and practice your handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 badbuzz

I've just started with Niall at A-Class School of Motoring. 4 lessons in and very happy.

I went with him because of the recommendations in this thread and he's just as good as everybody says. A really decent guy, gives you extra time most lessons and has even offered to go out with me for 30 minutes practice a week for free. Above & beyond anything you'd expect from a normal instructor.

He's a great laugh too - I look forward to each lesson! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

badbuzz wrote: »
    I've just started with Niall at A-Class School of Motoring. 4 lessons in and very happy.

I went with him because of the recommendations in this thread and he's just as good as everybody says. A really decent guy, gives you extra time most lessons and has even offered to go out with me for 30 minutes practice a week for free. Above & beyond anything you'd expect from a normal instructor.

He's a great laugh too - I look forward to each lesson! :)

whats the new car like? does it have an auto handbrake id be a bit dodgy
    about learning in a car with it ?

thanks!

Advertisement