Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mulberry beckett stoves

Options
  • 22-02-2008 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hello all,great site.
    ok my dilemma is i have oil and a back boiler [firebird]which seems to eat fuel,i purchased a small stove last year which i run on offcuts of wood and sadust mixed with some slack and find it very warm and efficent in that it does not take a lot of fuel,so was thinking of replacing my open fired backboiler with the mulberry beckett[backboiler version as i always have sawdust and offcuts ]and wondered if any one here has done something similar ,and generally intrestes in the opions on the mulberrys over stanleys etc , as well as benefits over the backboiler if any ;)any help would be greatful:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dhaslam

I am going to use a Mulberry stove, Beckett model which has a nominal output of 12.2 to water and 5.5 to the room. The rated output is with coal, because it is multifuel, so with timber it should output a maximum of about 10kw to water and 4kw to the room.

Apparently the stoves are very similar to the Waterford stoves, some of which which are based on similar Jotul designs. I have one of the small Waterford stoves based on, I think, Jotel model 100, without boiler, which works very well. Obviously the boiler models are more difficult to design but I expect it to work satisfactorily. I am putting in a 500 litre heat store so that it can be used at full output for a few hours each day. Estimated heat requirement is 50kw per day on average in winter so about four hours should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kevester

Hi ,

Would you recommend the Mulberry Beckett. I am thinking of installing the same

Thanks Kevester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suilaglas

One think to consider when buying a stove is the efficiency of the unit, I was unable to locate the efficiency of the units discussed earlier on the respective manufacturer's websites. In Poland, there are stoves available with reported efficiencies of between 70 and 75%. Suggest you google "płaszczem wodnym" which is the polish for water jacket or look up http://www.lechma.com.pl/pl/en/43.php
    The idea is that the fire is surrounded on 3 sides with a steel water jacket, plus a large water tank at the top coupled with water pipes through which the flu gases pass through. I bought one with an 18kw boiler output plus an extra 6kw radient output via the glass door. These can be bought for about €1000 in Poland, I paid about €180 to have mine shipped by Schenker Logistics.
    All I can say is that it is a brilliant machine, and I wonder if the stoves currently available on the Irish market can compete on either price or efficiency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

suilaglas wrote: »
    One think to consider when buying a stove is the efficiency of the unit, I was unable to locate the efficiency of the units discussed earlier on the respective manufacturer's websites. In Poland, there are stoves available with reported efficiencies of between 70 and 75%. Suggest you google "płaszczem wodnym" which is the polish for water jacket or look up http://www.lechma.com.pl/pl/en/43.php
    The idea is that the fire is surrounded on 3 sides with a steel water jacket, plus a large water tank at the top coupled with water pipes through which the flu gases pass through. I bought one with an 18kw boiler output plus an extra 6kw radient output via the glass door. These can be bought for about €1000 in Poland, I paid about €180 to have mine shipped by Schenker Logistics.
    All I can say is that it is a brilliant machine, and I wonder if the stoves currently available on the Irish market can compete on either price or efficiency?

Interesting concept. Here is a picture of one:

60057.jpg_335.jpg

As far as I can gather I think they only burn processed pellets, not very practice. Whoever produces the pellets dictates the price, the middleman takes his cut and you have no say in the matter.

Much better off getting a stove that burns unprocessed wood. There are coillte woods all over the place and you wouldn't believe the amount of suitable firewood that is just left to rot on the ground. A chainsaw a trailer and Bob's your uncle:cool:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NicCat

Just saw the post from Suilaglas. Doesn't take much searching to find the efficiencies! I wonder where you looked????

Cos I found all of the efficiencies for every model on the Mulberry website (www.mulberrystoves.com) under Useful Information!

Also, instead of encouraging people to buy stoves from Poland, maybe we should be encouraging people to buy stoves made in Ireland by an Irish owned company, employing Irish workers???!!!

Mulberry are Irish owned, fully cast-iron stoves with high efficiencies and are all fully tested to CE standards.

Worth thinking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

NicCat wrote:
    Just saw the post from Suilaglas. Doesn't take much searching to find the efficiencies! I wonder where you looked????

Cos I found all of the efficiencies for every model on the Mulberry website (www.mulberrystoves.com) under Useful Information!

Also, instead of encouraging people to buy stoves from Poland, maybe we should be encouraging people to buy stoves made in Ireland by an Irish owned company, employing Irish workers???!!!

Mulberry are Irish owned, fully cast-iron stoves with high efficiencies and are all fully tested to CE standards.

Worth thinking about.

You have five posts all of which are recommending mulberry stoves, a suspicious person would think you work for them. (guess what, I'm a suspicious person)

But I do somewhat agree with you on buying Irish,

But mulberry stoves are designed in Ireland, sold in Ireland, Made In China:)

That's not to say that they are not good stoves and most of the profits probably do benefit the Irish economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I have two Mulberry Stoves, a Beckett and a Joyce. Both 100% reliable and effiecient, one of them heats 14 radiators (takes a while to get going admittedly), can't recommend them highly enough ! Also have pellet boiler for rads early mornings and late nights......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ashmcv

I recently purchased a Beckett Boiler and it' fantastic. I purchased mine from Point Building Supplies, very competitive and helpful. Great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

ltdslipdiff,
    are u using sticks or coal in your beckett?
    when mine gets the heat up i can hear like a gurgling sound for about 10 mins or so. Is this normal? I wonder does it need bleeding?

paulmallon wrote: »
    ltdslipdiff,
    are u using sticks or coal in your beckett?
    when mine gets the heat up i can hear like a gurgling sound for about 10 mins or so. Is this normal? I wonder does it need bleeding?

Hi Paul

Mine gets a bit hot sometimes too and starts to boil... Have you got a thermostat control on the outlet pipe from the boiler? If so, might be worth either moving it closer to the stove or try turning it down a bit..... Great stove I have to say, really coming to its own in the recent cold snap! Can rip through the wood and coal though !!!!:D (which is what I feed it on normally)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 olliewexford

hello

i'm so glade to see people taken into consideration the fact of mulberry been irish and protecting irish jobs. It was a massive part of my choice to buy mulberry when i was getting a stove , but the other facts is
    1. there construction is so robust , i looked at loads of different stoves , there poor enough , little bit of steal half way up the back wall and the mulberry has cement panels all the way up try and lift one of em compared to the green stoves etc etc, back panel is massive thick cast there built like tanks.

2. the price difference was the same the green stove , warm flow or wat ever there call same companys and there a host different brands ? they were the same price , do i did get €50 off in the mart where i got it on a sale €450 usually €500 ,

3. 10 years plus down the road ye'll be able to get parts for the them like the stanley , but them flying swallow brands be well gone.

4. mulberry have great aftersales , and information on there products after sale and with the stove.

i got a stanley ashling for the main house, as well as my mulberry joyse. fantastic stove to heat and cook on well worth it, great control of heat to. Heats 13 rads oki-sh and with the dual system its a humdinger , bar the real winter , itruns on pallets grand :)

ps . my friend got a charwood stove there lovely looking , really nice worth a look at if you want sommit fancy looking you can put the fire wood under neat the stove its self .. have to say nice.

happy heaing so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 babarino

I've just bought a Joyce and a Beckett (with boiler). Good to hear the positive feedback. A few posts however seem to suggest that the Beckett burns fuel very quickly.

Friends have a Jotul and rave about the ability to slow burn. I was hoping to put a good size log in late at night and have it burn slowly overnight, and rake it up again in the morning. Is this possible? Does the slow burn depend largely on the type of fuel? Someone mentioned sawdust mixed with slack. Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 olliewexford

ya does depend on what fuel , i find the log half burns wen its damped down few union nuggets and good for keeping it all night with a damp log . but i tryed mixing slack with with saw dust and the maggots outta the chain saw work okish , to be honest not worth the mess , slack is a dirty devil , €10.50 a bag not worth it nuggets are around €14 little under , getting a soft coal bit dirty but good off a local lad for /€14 a bag kinda as cheap to use the real deal. but with i did find brillant was i mixed slack and turf gibblings together , mighty , just don't sell much turf in wexford were i am and were they doo its not great value , but it works a treat , say a trailer load of brocken brickettes from borna mona in littleton and few bages of slack do a nice bbit of cheap heating in a stove

one other thing getting little off the subject sorry but my friends anut wets old news paper presses it in a block like turf leaves them to dry and burn's them in her stove , anyone ever don't that here , is it good ? i only know there storey on it ~~(its great )??

I can rarely get the stove to burn overnight, I think alot of it is the airwash draught. If its closed the burn is much slower but obviously less heat and the glass gets quite sotted up. I find the best mix of fuel for longevity is a base of decent seasoned hardwood logs and a top covering of Polish coal. The thermostat at the side tends to close slowing the air feed as the stove heats up......

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joe94

babarino wrote: »
    I've just bought a Joyce and a Beckett (with boiler). Good to hear the positive feedback. A few posts however seem to suggest that the Beckett burns fuel very quickly.

Friends have a Jotul and rave about the ability to slow burn. I was hoping to put a good size log in late at night and have it burn slowly overnight, and rake it up again in the morning. Is this possible? Does the slow burn depend largely on the type of fuel? Someone mentioned sawdust mixed with slack. Any other suggestions?
    Hi Barbarino,

I am thinking of installing a Mulberry Beckett stove and would like to know how often they need re-fueling when burning seasoned hardwood logs. I intend to heat 3-4 rads off it and my theory is that over an evening it would run comfortably if refuelled with 3-4 average sized logs every hour. Do you think my guess is close to the mark?

If anybody has experience running one I would greatly appreciate some info.

Thanks for any comments.
    Joe94.

I have two Mulberry Stoves, a Beckett and a Joyce. Both 100% reliable and effiecient, one of them heats 14 radiators (takes a while to get going admittedly), can't recommend them highly enough ! Also have pellet boiler for rads early mornings and late nights......
    Hi,

I am thinking of installing a Mulberry Beckett stove and would like to know how often they need re-fueling when burning seasoned hardwood logs. I intend to heat 3-4 rads off it and my theory is that over an evening it would run comfortably if refuelled with 3-4 average sized logs every hour. Do you think my guess is close to the mark?

Thanks for any comments.
    Joe94.

ashmcv wrote: »
    I recently purchased a Beckett Boiler and it' fantastic. I purchased mine from Point Building Supplies, very competitive and helpful. Great price.
    Hi,

Thanks for any comments.
    Joe94.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 babarino

Joe94 wrote: »
    Hi Barbarino,

Thanks for any comments.
    Joe94.

Our Beckett heats about 12 radiators. We use it as our main heat and it has been doing great so far this year. It also heats water. I expect we'll have to boost with central heating,coming into the depths of winter, as some rads don't heat up that much. But the more I'm using it the more I like it.

There isn't that much by way of wood where I live, but I have discovered that fine slack, not singles, is brilliant and burns slowly through the night. While the slack doesn't save on the environment it saves big time on my pocket, at STG £5.50. I'm into my 2nd week with one bag. Easy to stoke up and get going again the next day.

Hi Barbarino,

Thanks very much for the reply. Since posting my question I decided against installing a boiler stove as the cost and difficulty of installation was prohibitive. I opted instead for a Clearview Vision 500 non boiler stove, installed it during the summer and am very pleased with it. Located in our livingroom dowstairs, it heats downstairs easily and with the livingroom door and kitchen doors open to the hallway sends heat upstairs to take the chill out of the upstairs rooms. I expect that over this coming winter, we will use much less oil and save approx €600 per year on fuel bills. This calculation is on the basis of burning seasoned hardwood logs only which I purchase from local log sellers and collect on my car trailer. Cost approx €100.00 per load. Trailer 7 x 4 foot with 16 inch high sides. I expect to burn less than €100.00 per month over the winter using the stove all weekend and 5-6 hours per day Mon-Friday. I have also sourced unseasoned logs which are cheaper and have stockpiled a few loads of them to dry out for use from Sept 2011.

Cheers,
    Joe94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 barnettgs

Edited: Ignore my post, I have made up my mind and decided to go for non-boiler stove instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement