Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some service questions regarding a Focus 1.6 tdci

• 18-06-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey guys, i am lookin for some advice please.
    Car is up on 120,000 kms and needs another service and times being lean i wanna try it myself. But need some help.
    Oil is 5w30 but i dont know if i should use semi synthetic or fully?
    The oil filter is a paper filter in a black casing but i cant see it from the top of the engine.. can anyone advise the best method to spot it??
    Also does the fuel filter need changing at this time and is that a job that i could tackle?

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

You need to use fully syn 5w 30 which is dpf friendly if its the 110bhp.
    I usally change the fuel filter every 20k mls or so.
    I think its a fecker to bleed the fuel filters on the focus 1.6 tdci,

Hre is a pic of the oil filter location..
    Sep-Oct08068.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

According to the Ford schedual, the 120k service should be...

Air filter,
    Oil and oil filter,
    Fuel filter,
    Pollen filter.

Brake fluid is also a change due every 2 years and, depending on which engine you have, some with the additive type DPF require it to be replaced at 120k!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

Row wrote: »
    You need to use fully syn 5w 30 which is dpf friendly if its the 110bhp.
    I usally change the fuel filter every 20k mls or so.
    I think its a fecker to bleed the fuel filters on the focus 1.6 tdci,

Hre is a pic of the oil filter location..
    Sep-Oct08068.jpg

Thanks a million but can you give me a pic from further out so i can see if its under the air filter or what side of the engine its on... its a 90 bhp model so no dpf thank god!!!!!. Also i assume that no dpf means semi synthetic oil?
    Thank u all for your responses

You still have to use fully syn as these engines don't like the wrong oil.
    Also change oil and filter every 15,000 km instead of the recommened
    20,000 km.
    Here is a pic of the 110bhp 1.6 tdci focus....Hope this helps...:)

Image0672-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Also they are two 10mm bolts holding the intercooler pipe on. You have to remove these to get the filter out.

• Advertisement

... and be sure to drain the old filter fully before draining the oil, and don't use suction, allow it to drain *

* thanks to Row or Plug for that info :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Im after putting in semi synthetic 5w30 into my ford focus tdci. It was the recommended type in halfords. Should i really have gone for the fully sythetic oil?
    Maybe it will be fine but it will shorten the service interval time?

Ive seemed to have gotten slightly worse mpg than usual this evening when i drove from dublin to galway, that could have been caused by the cheaper oil, that was just semi-synthetic?
    It may have just been because I had more stuff in the boot than normal either?

Ive seemed to have gotten slightly worse mpg than usual this evening when i drove from dublin to galway, that could have been caused by the cheaper oil, that was just semi-synthetic?
    It may have just been because I had more stuff in the boot than normal either?

I can't see why 5w30 semi synthetic would cause less mpg's..:confused:
    Must the added weight or maybe your foot was alittle heavy this evening..:D

I would run it with the semi synthetic for say around a 1000mls or so and then change oil & filter again (5w30 fully syn low ash if yours is the 110bhp)

Its up to yourself but i have a funny feeling alot of the back street garages around the country use 5w30 semi synthetic in these engines..:eek:...:)
    Tbh alot of the time they use whatever is in there 200 litre oil drum.

Thanks, will change is soon enough so, but not too soon as it was a bit of pain getting at the oil filter because i had to remove the turbo intake hose. I heard on some other board that the turbo intake hose can become damaged on some of the early 2005 ford focus tdci's. And in turn can damage your turbo! I hope thats not correct because mine is a 2005 tdci, but it was registered at the end of september, so maybe its got a better turbo intake hose.

I had my wife in the car with me this time, and loads more in the boot, so that could explan my loss of about 1.5mpg. I used to see a huge difference if i went to some dodgy garage for diesel, i could lose about 3mpg from it. I try to stick at about 78mph on the motorway, but i could have had a heavy foot alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The intercooler pipe can split and cause loss of power I don't think it will damage the turbo. You didn't need to remove the intercooler pipe fully just remove the two 10mm bolts holding it on the bracket so you can move it out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi all,

would Castrol Magnatec 5W30 Oil 4 Litre be suitable for an oil change on a focus 1.6 110bhp? it says "Meets Fords WSS-M2C-913-C, WSS-M2C-913-B,WSS-M2C-913-A"

Thanks

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hi all,

would Castrol Magnatec 5W30 Oil 4 Litre be suitable for an oil change on a focus 1.6 110bhp? it says "Meets Fords WSS-M2C-913-C, WSS-M2C-913-B,WSS-M2C-913-A"

Thanks

W.

The WSS-MSC-913-C is the correct oil spec listed for your car, it should be a low ash oil, but just be sure before you use it as the 110hp model should have a DPF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi,

Actually both ford cars states (in the user manuals) WSS-MSC-913-B as the engine oil.

Can you explain what a "it should be a low ash oil" is?

Thanks
    W

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jobseek

Hi
    When you replace the filter there is a pin.post on one side with an oring on it, what is the purpose of this, is it just to stop rotation by locating in a bore at the bottom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Make sure that little nipple slots into the little hole in the oil filter housing :)

brembo26 wrote: »
    Make sure that little nipple slots into the little hole in the oil filter housing :)

Thats towards the bottom of the housing, say approximately 6 o clock postion, i fitted one in a car yesterday, and questioning myself if i have done so correctly:) i though would i have blocked an oil way in doing so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

jobseek wrote:
    Thats towards the bottom of the housing, say approximately 6 o clock postion, i fitted one in a car yesterday, and questioning myself if i have done so correctly i though would i have blocked an oil way in doing so

If it wasnt right you would know about it by now :-)

The nipple (with O-Ring) at the end of the oil filter is used to drain the oil filter housing when you remove the oil filter cap/filter...The old oil in the housing then drains down into the sump.
    Its always best remove the oil filter before or while dropping the old oil,
    Also always drain the oil on these engines when the engine is good and hot..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

These engines are notorious for carbon build up,if not serviced regularly and with the correct oil,a low ash oil like total quartz ineo ecs 5w-30(micks garage have it)is recommended to prevent this issue.Carbon build up can cause the turbo oil feed to block and cause turbo failure.You should consider changing the oil every 12-15000km.

• Advertisement

Row wrote: »
    The nipple (with O-Ring) at the end of the oil filter is used to drain the oil filter housing when you remove the oil filter cap/filter...The old oil in the housing then drains down into the sump.
    Its always best remove the oil filter before or while dropping the old oil,
    Also always drain the oil on these engines when the engine is good and hot..:)

Thanks for that, makes sense now, i had the sump bolt out and drained first, then when i went opening the filter i put the bucket in below it, beneath the car to catch any spillage, sure enough there came good drop of oil out the sump drain, i realize now from the filter housing.

magentis wrote: »
    These engines are notorious for carbon build up,if not serviced regularly and with the correct oil,a low ash oil like total quartz ineo ecs 5w-30(micks garage have it)is recommended to prevent this issue.Carbon build up can cause the turbo oil feed to block and cause turbo failure.You should consider changing the oil every 12-15000km.

It was a neighbours car, and i did advise that. More so based on what i do with my car(accord), every 6000 miles, not knowing at the time what you have stated.

Advertisement