Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3FE

Options
  • 08-06-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭

Anyone try 3FE? It's on Abbey St. opposite the Arnotts st. entrance. It's in the bar called the Twisted Pepper. I have been for coffee a few times, it's a tad grimy due to the fact that it's a bar at night, another annoying thing about it was that last Saturday Morning it wasn't open at 10.10AM!! Realistically, they should be open before 9AM....

But... the coffee is amazing. Really really good stuff, even non-coffee drinkers should give it a shot. Never tasted coffee like it and they play good music.

http://www.3fe.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Its a bar at nighttime? Didn't know that.

I was in 3FE only yesterday for a lovely cappucino. Staff are friendly, its a breath of fresh air to have friendly staff who know what they are doing when you are buying coffee. Had a nice chat to one of them about different types of bean etc.

They are all trained baristas so they know and love what they do.

Was in Cafe Sol this morning ands like a different world, they have no idea how to make coffee and your just a number in the queue.

Thumbs up to 3FE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Taste of Emilia around the corner on Lower Liffey Street has the best coffee in town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

3FE's founder was Ireland's barista championship for years, until he retired from the competition to give other people a go. They really know their stuff and are very friendly too.

And I love that the prices are normal cup-of-coffee prices, even though they serve some of the best gear in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Taste of Emilia around the corner on Lower Liffey Street has the best coffee in town.

Ah it doesn't. 3FE's is far far better.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    another annoying thing about it was that last Saturday Morning it wasn't open at 10.10AM!! Realistically, they should be open before 9AM....

They've tried opening at 8AM plenty of times, but just aren't busy enough at that hour, especially on weekends. It's usually busy by 11, and has a good crowd by lunch.

They've started doing some pretty tasty sandwiches and baguettes in there too.

I guess I just don't like that US style of over-roasting the beans. I much prefer Italian/French coffees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I guess I just don't like that US style of over-roasting the beans. I much prefer Italian/French coffees.

I'd generally find Italian & French roasted beans would be a much darker roast. None of the beans (HasBean) in 3FE would be over roasted, and most of them take on a lighter profile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Personally find most coffee places to be pretty poor so must give this place a go some time. I generally stick to my nespressos if I want a decent cup of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

wouldn't be overly pushed to be honest, dirty feel to the place.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'd generally find Italian & French roasted beans would be a much darker roast. None of the beans (HasBean) in 3FE would be over roasted, and most of them take on a lighter profile!

Must have been there on a bad day last week... place stank of burnt beans and my coffee was not nice.
    SteoL wrote: »
    Personally find most coffee places to be pretty poor so must give this place a go some time. I generally stick to my nespressos if I want a decent cup of coffee.

I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the nespresso machines. Machine is a bit of an investment (new pixies aren't too bad) but the pods are dirt cheap and the quality is pretty damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Gonna get shot down for this but........ I was in there not too long ago with the missus. I had told her that loads of folk were saying it was the best coffee in Dublin. We both had Latte's and........... left sorely disappointed. I was very unimpressed I'm sorry to say.

The staff were indeed lovely and it's a cool looking place but I found the coffee very bland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Gonna get shot down for this but........ I was in there not too long ago with the missus. I had told her that loads of folk were saying it was the best coffee in Dublin. We both had Latte's and........... left sorely disappointed. I was very unimpressed I'm sorry to say.

The staff were indeed lovely and it's a cool looking place but I found the coffee very bland.

You need to try the coffee black. It is delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Twee. wrote: »
    You need to try the coffee black. It is delicious!

I shall give it a second whirl so Twee. Hopefully I just got someone on an off day!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Yeah it really is a brilliant coffee.
    I don't regularly drink coffee by any means, but I go in here every weekend for a cappuccino and a brownie, deadly!

Really like the way the business is run too, the food is brilliant, and every inch of the TP is used when possible, they've now got a book store upstairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

wixfjord wrote: »
    Really like the way the business is run too, the food is brilliant, and every inch of the TP is used when possible, they've now got a book store upstairs!
    Yeah, it's run by one of the lads from Chapters. He left to open his own shop. :)

Does the bookshop have a good horror section can anyone confirm?

New books or 2nd hand?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Both AFAIK. No idea on the horror but I wouldn't have been looking for it myself.

Nevore wrote: »
    Both AFAIK. No idea on the horror but I wouldn't have been looking for it myself.

Cool, thanks. Must head in for a look the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

SteoL wrote: »
    Does the bookshop have a good horror section can anyone confirm?

New books or 2nd hand?

Cheers,

If he doesn't have what you want, he'll get it. And if you don't really know what you want, he'll figure it out.
    Glad to see that guy set up on his own and hope it works out; he was easily the best person I dealt with any time I was in Chapters or any bookshop come to think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There also few comments about 3FE towards the latter pages of this thread, including input by the Verified Rep that may address some of the comments made above.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Ste.phen wrote: »
    If he doesn't have what you want, he'll get it. And if you don't really know what you want, he'll figure it out.
    Glad to see that guy set up on his own and hope it works out; he was easily the best person I dealt with any time I was in Chapters or any bookshop come to think of it

Agreed, this guy knows his stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement