Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im hating the way the gaming industry is heading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Codemasters seem quite good at giving us unfinished games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Graeme The Poet

Most likely this is related to the rampant piracy of games on the PC which in all honesty the developers have used as a propaganda tool to give them carte blanch when dealing with the poor customer.

I live in an area without broadband so have been unable to play any game in the assassins creed serious bar the first one (gotta love the drm). It is an absolute joke and will ultimately kill the industry. Imagine going to the cinema and being told you'll have to pay for another ticket and come back tomorrow to see the second half of inception.

Would NOT be appreciated - so why employ these tactics in a related field of the SAME industry.

With you on this buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Whenever there is downloadable content I just don't buy it on principle, I think its very cynical and a bit of an insult in the respect that I've already paid for the game. They only do this because people are willing to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

we have to take back what we created , we dont owe the developers , the developers owe us , we are the consumer we created those buildings , we make the game great not them .its bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Some dlc is very good and well worth the money e.g. GTAIV:TLATD/TBOGT or ME2:LOTSB. Other times it's exploitative and not worth bothering with e.g. ME2 character skins.

So I don't think you can take a carte blanch approach to it. Just be smart about what you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What do we create?

Is this about user created content?

sink wrote: »
    Some dlc is very good and well worth the money e.g. GTAIV:TLATD/TBOGT or ME2:LOTSB. Other times it's exploitative and not worth bothering with e.g. ME2 character skins.

So I don't think you can take a carte blanch approach to it. Just be smart about what you buy.

i dont think you understand , there are clueless people out there that buy anything and everything dlc gun packs skins , it will destroy the games we love do you not see that already. as i said i dont mind dlc if its 4 months after the games released but its becoming a situation on why would you bother paying for a full game with your money and your not getting all the content

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I honestly don't see the problem with Online Pass.

It'd be great if they did it a bit better, though. At the moment, some developers are giving you a trial of multiplayer for 48 hours or so and locking certain game modes.

In an ideal world, you'd get to play all the game modes for that trial, and you'd get free a DLC map pack like Dead Space 2

Healium wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the problem with Online Pass.

It'd be great if they did it a bit better, though. At the moment, some developers are giving you a trial of multiplayer for 48 hours or so and locking certain game modes.

In an ideal world, you'd get to play all the game modes for that trial, and you'd get free a DLC map pack like Dead Space 2

ok lets look at EA For example of online pass, they said they did this cause it hurt the company people buying their games second hand but then they go off and pay 100 million for battlefield 3 advertisement :confused:, 2nd hand games do not hurt companies people who want their games will pay for it , its the same way avatar made a billion dollars in the box office and it didnt hurt the movie companies when people download it off the internet online pass is the start of companies thinking we owe them , i dont stand for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sigh, what ever happened to the days when games got a well crafted and developed expansion pack to extend the life of the game. Hells even call of duty got something of worth back in the day and was worth the asking price.

Now people hoot and holler, cash in hand, if all they do is add zombies .

The better the tech gets the better ways they have of fleecing us but thats a wider discussion than just games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Most likely this is related to the rampant piracy of games on the PC which in all honesty the developers have used as a propaganda tool to give them carte blanch when dealing with the poor customer.

I am sorry, but you are wrong. This has nothing to do with piracy on the PC, if anything, it has to do with the 2nd hand games market. People choosing to wait a week or two after a new release comes out and then buying it 2nd hand, is what is causing this need for Online Passes, or Day One DLC. As such, the problem lies with the console market, not the PC one.

Secondly, the problem also lies with how easy it is for "simpletons" to go and buy this DLC, thus perpetuating a cycle of reproducing crap as extra content. Any kid can buy Xbox Live Points, or buy a 20 Euro PSN top up card. Then they can spend it on what they want. Removing the need for a bank account or credit card has done this.

Your concerns lie with who the games are directed at. Take Fallout 3 for example, 5 pieces of DLC, that were relatively substantial and offered new content to move the storyline forward. How many 10 year olds or 13 year olds would play Fallout 3? Very few, because it is a tough game, it is drawn out and a child/teenager (in most cases) does not have the patience. The likes of Call of Duty will be ruined now because of this new Elite service - all the kids will want some extra logo/tag on their gamertag that makes them Elite - leave them to it. Next year, and mark my words, Call of Duty Multiplayer will go subscription based for online gaming - this Elite service is just a stepping stone.

As long as their is a voice against extortionist measures (see EA's/DICE's response to the COD Elite service), there will always be developers willing to offer gamers an alternative. Leave the morons/kids to their 'DLC' and you get on with the game you enjoyed, or alternatively, buy the week old 2nd hand copy to really stick it to the man! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

i dont think you understand , there are clueless people out there that buy anything and everything dlc gun packs skins , it will destroy the games we love do you not see that already. as i said i dont mind dlc if its 4 months after the games released but its becoming a situation on why would you bother paying for a full game with your money and your not getting all the content

If it's not worth paying for I won't buy it. Who cares what some numpty is willing to pay for. If developers/publishers want my money they will have to make things I'm willing to buy. Looking at the content coming out of E3 there is still plenty that I'm willing to part with my cash for.

There have always been games that are absolute rubbish and are just cashing in on peoples ignorance, dlc is no different. Just because some people were will to spend money on 'Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing', did not stop other developers producing quality games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The sub to cod is voluntary. You'll still be able to play everything but there will be extra (useless) things for people who pay, like extra stats. The 'community' will still buy it.
    Removing content from a game and releaseing it as dlc is not a new thing, I think its going on a while.
    Its all just a money making exercise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Liber8or wrote: »
    I am sorry, but you are wrong. This has nothing to do with piracy on the PC, if anything, it has to do with the 2nd hand games market. People choosing to wait a week or two after a new release comes out and then buying it 2nd hand, is what is causing this need for Online Passes, or Day One DLC. As such, the problem lies with the console market, not the PC one.
    This has actually been confirmed by the developers as the biggest issue beating out piracy by far.

calex71 wrote: »
    Sigh, what ever happened to the days when games got a well crafted and developed expansion pack to extend the life of the game. Hells even call of duty got something of worth back in the day and was worth the asking price.

Now people hoot and holler, cash in hand, if all they do is add zombies .

The better the tech gets the better ways they have of fleecing us but thats a wider discussion than just games.

online was suppose to offer us a new way to play games instead it has become a way to knickle and dime us away from a game we paid full price for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

we have to take back what we created , we dont owe the developers , the developers owe us , we are the consumer we created those buildings , we make the game great not them .its bull****

Wow, that's some crazy sense of entitlement ya got going on there. You might want to reign that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

how do you figure that?

krudler wrote: »
    how do you figure that?

with our community feedback on forums , just look what happened with Cole on infamous 2 they changed his look the community demanded it to be changed back and it did , we can make the difference but i never see it happen with some people spending ridiculous money on stuff that should be free

Wow, that's some crazy sense of entitlement ya got going on there. You might want to reign that in.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I don't mind the online pass, the only type of DLC i hate is the stupid **** tahts already on the game !

Anybody that goes into a shop and pays £44 for a £45 game because its second hand deserves to get mugged by the online passes. I've really grown to hate the second hand market (The new games 2nd hand market anyway), bunch of robbing bastards those retailers are !

Except when i bought black ops on the xbox preowned... they deserved it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

with our community feedback on forums , just look what happened with Cole on infamous 2 they changed his look the community demanded it to be changed back and it did , we can make the difference but i never see it happen with some people spending ridiculous money on stuff that should be free

What about games that arent sequels? what involvement had you in those?

that logic carries about as much weight as a facebook status update does for curing cancer

krudler wrote: »
    What about games that arent sequels? what involvement had you in those?

that logic carries about as much weight as a facebook status update does for curing cancer

the consumer still offers feedback , im just saying the games only get critically acclaimed awards and sells well cause of us we control what happens. the only solution developers then makes excuses piracy is why we make online games and 2nd hand games are killing us , all bull****

the consumer still offers feedback , im just saying the games only get critically acclaimed awards and sells well cause of us we control what happens. the only solution developers then makes excuses piracy is why we make online games and 2nd hand games are killing us , all bull****

Exactly.... so stop buying fooking second hand games and they'll stop with the online passes !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Magill wrote: »
    I don't mind the online pass, the only type of DLC i hate is the stupid **** tahts already on the game !

I really don't get the complaint with stuff being on the disk? You pay for a game, you get what you pay for. Most of the time it is bonus content that they put additional time and money into making, that would probably have been dropped to save money, or just not developed to start with if not for DLC.

Personally I can't see any difference between doing it at the same time as the game or 4 months later, except it would be cheaper to make at the same time as the game.

I really don't get the complaint with stuff being on the disk? You pay for a game, you get what you pay for. Most of the time it is bonus content that they put additional time and money into making, that would probably have been dropped to save money, or just not developed to start with if not for DLC.

Personally I can't see any difference between doing it at the same time as the game or 4 months later, except it would be cheaper to make at the same time as the game.

And you know this because ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Because DLC is usually planned from the very beginning of the project these days. It'd be stupid not to given how lucrative it's proven to be.

So he's correct in his assessment that it is extra content that time and effort is spent on creating, because without the DLC model there is no real reason for it to exist.

Exactly.... so stop buying fooking second hand games and they'll stop with the online passes !

why should i have to cave to a company demands ?

its either they have to offer a game to me thats worth my 50 euro or they face the music and accept 2nd games. i go in to hmv or gamestop browse through their games and if i see a game that i enjoyed by that developer i buy their next game , why should i have to fork money on a game i might or might not enjoy. also i aint paying full price to a company who offer a cash in game aka dragon age 2 or call of duty. i do pay full price for games like la noire , uncharted 2 littlebigplanet dragon age etc.. its up to the company to bring out a well worthy game if they are expecting us to pay 50 euros , where in a recession after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

You're assuming that companies would give this content free otherwise? For commercial games companies the first objective is to make a profitable game, the second objective is to make a good game. Stuff that is unnecessary to selling the game would be dropped to save money, or to be invested where it is better spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wow so you think because you changed the way a game character looked, by saying you didn't like it, that decided whether the game was great or not? You didn't exactly write the Portal Engine. Or create the Normandy. Or do the level design on Darksiders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

online pass is the start of companies thinking we owe them , i dont stand for it

But that's the point, you do owe them, in a way. You owe them the money they'd have gotten if you had bought it new instead of 2nd hand.

Advertisement