Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog chewing paw - is it the food?

Options
  • 28-05-2011 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

My Mum has a 2 year old Bichon/Poodle. Lately he is constantly chewing one of his paws to such a degree he has removed all the hair and he is down to bare red skin.

He is on Iams and I am wondering is this causing the problem?

Anyways I have been on to my Mum to change food for ages but she finds it convienent to get Iams in Tesco's when shopping.

I picked up a bag of Arden Grange Sensitive (fish & potato - cereal/grain free) and I am hoping this might make the difference.

Could the food be causing the problem? Or is there something else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

paultf wrote: »
    My Mum has a 2 year old Bichon/Poodle. Lately he is constantly chewing one of his paws to such a degree he has removed all the hair and he is down to bare red skin.

Anyways I have been on to my Mum to change food for ages but she finds it convienent to get Iams in Tesco's when shopping.

I picked up a bag of Arden Grange Sensitive (fish & potato - cereal/grain free) and I am hoping this might make the difference.

Wouldn’t say it’s the food, say its boredom/lack of exercise or a medical reason.
    I remember during the really icy period there last winter, we couldn’t get the dogs out as much as we would normally, there was a few days when we couldn’t get out at all (due to the ice compacting) and my lab started to gnaw at her paw. Now there could be another reason for your dog doing it but that’s just what I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Hey we had a Pyrenean Mountain Dog, who did the exact same thing, its a behavioural issue, a vice if u will:)
    There is a scientific name for it, its a learnt behaviour, sometimes a stress or boredom release. Its the exact same thing as a child who sucks their tumb. We tried everything to stop him as he licked so much he bled. But not much works. Sudacreme helped. He also suffered from "hot spots" so we gave him Zurtec and I dont know if he just grew out of chewing his foot and his back (hot spot) or if the zurtec worked but something did:) Hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Chewing at the paws is a very common symptom of a skin condition caused by intolerance to some ingredients/additives in food. I would say it is most likely the food and see what happens if you change the food before running off to a behaviourist or vet to fork out a fortune of money. ;)

(ETA - Do have quick look over the paw and make sure the dew claw isn't causing the problem though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

My dad had a pup years ago that did the same thing. The vet tried everything but in the end, we had to put her down as the chewing had got down to her bones. The vet couldn't really explain it except that the pup had some mental disorder. Hope your dog has better luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tara2

wouldnt say its the food,sounds more like a skin allergy,atopie is one skin condition that some dogs get and it need to b seen and treated by a vet im a vet nurse,if it was food i would think he/she would b chewing other parts over her body not just one paw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

paultf wrote: »

It absolutely is his food causing the problem. Have a read of a previous post on itchy sore paws, it explains the causes and cheap solutions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...6&postcount=63

This is a very common, and very easily cured, malady. And there's no need for the vet or expensive and inconclusive tests.

Advertisement