Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starcraft references

Options
  • 23-05-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

As suggested, Here is a list of all alias, shortnames, abbreviations, code names, tactics and general references for starcraft.

Please, feel free to post additions, and I will keep the thread up to date on a regular basis.
    Gameplay:
    • Cheese = performing obsecure builds that are intended to catch your opponent off guard in order to gain a significant advantage or win the game.
    • turtling = Hiding behind a wall in your base while you research and build higher tier units.
    • rushing = Fast producing units/buildings to kill your opponent or gain a significant advantage over them before they have anything to fight you with.
    • teching = researching higher tier units
    • counter = units/buildings/research designed to fight the opponents current units/buildings etc
    • Scouting = using units such as observers, overlords, scv's, helions etc that can move fast through an opponents base giving you insight to what they are currently building what where they are located on the map.
    • F/E = Fast expand, building a second command center/hatch/nexus early in the game.
    • Transfer = Using the resource share button on the top right of the screen, you can give allies resources.
    • Harass = Keep your enemy distracted and attempting to do small damage while you build up your base/forces for the final push.
    • Maynarding = transferring a number of your drones fron your main base to your natural base.
    • expo = Expansion base, usually named natural then 3rd, 4th etc. counted from the main base outwards.
    • OP = overpowered
    • UP = underpowered
    • IMBA = imbalance (commonly used by players who vent/rage against other races/units that they cant counter with their regular methods, e.g zerg often call protoss voidrays and collossi IMBA as they have a had time countering these units.)
    • Q_Q = Back in Starcraft this was the command to exit out of game(Alt+Q+Q). Friends will then say, "Aww! You QQ'd!" This will later spawn the crying face with the tears.
    • All-in= means committing to a single attack which can yield a huge gain, but if it fails you are either 1) very far behind or 2) out of the game. Note this doesnt apply to SC2 a race called Terran.
    • Timing attack = refers to an attack that moves to exploit a temporary weakness in an opponent's build. Some Timing attack can be rather all-in but not all timing attack is all-in.
    • kite/kiting = see SC2 unit Marauder with Concussive Shells upgrade vs Protoss unit Zealot(without charge)
    • metagame = due to the vast mis-use of the communities now it is accepted to be used as a Verb or Noun:
      1. A term that describes any planning, preparation, or maneuvering that a player does outside of actual gameplay to gain an advantage.
      2. Describes the current trends and stable strategies that are being used.
      3. 'You metagamed me!!' - Blindly execute an unconventional build based on the understanding/guesswork of your opponent's unique/personal playstyle.
    • Worker Harass = Attacking resource collecting units (drones/probes/SCVs) at opponents mineral lines without engaging in battle with offensive units.
    • APM = Actions Per Minute
    • GG = Good Game
    • GL = Good Luck
    • HF = Have Fun
    • WP = Well Played
    • Manner = just means politness. If you use all the above regularly you are considered to have Good manner.
    • Rage/Raging = (1.care of IDRA) getting angry while playing. so when you start off your APMs top out at like 300, and then you do some terrible all-in build.
    • Rage Quiting = (2.care of IDRA) quiting without saying GG
    • On-Tilt = (3. care of IDRA) Letting your emotion cloud your judgement
      You can see an example of the above 3 in the following youtube video
    • Stutter step or people might call it animation cancellation, orb walking, strafing. A micro technique that can increase ranged unit effectivness by over 9000. Basically you order a unit to move right as its attack animation starts. This way it will deal damage and instantly start moving again, allowing you to keep up with fleeing units or retreat urself and attack again.
      You can see an example of stutter step in the following youtube video.
    • Proxy : A (production) building anywhere that is not part of a player's base. This reduces travelling time from the unit-producing structure and the opponent's base leading to a strategic advantage.

Terran:
    • MMM = an army consiting of marine/marauder/medivac units.
    • Rax = Barracks.
    • PF = Planetary Fortress.
    Zerg:
    • lings = zerglings
    • slings = speedlings (researching the upgrade for zerglings in the spawning pool which costs 100 minerals and 100 gas)
    • cracklings = speedlings with the 20% attack upgrade (requires a Hive to be built and research is in the spawning pool)
    • blings = banelings (requires a baneling nest, which also contains speed upgrade for the blings)
    • Doomdrop = Loading a large portion of your army into flying "transport" and unloading in the enemy base or other advantages offensive position.

6 pool:Considered "cheese" this build involves building no drones until you have saved up 200 minerals, then building a spawning pool, followed by 6 lings as soon as its finished. This build in 1v1 is intended to clear the opponents mineral line so they have no income, and is usually very easily countered by either walling in, or using your drones/probes/scv's to attack the incomming lings.
    As a zerg player, this can either win you the game, or cost you greatly as your income is behind by not making drones during the first few minutes of the game.

Baneling bust = using banelings to blow up building walls and allow other units to flood in

Baneling bombs = Most often referred to as banelings unloaded from overlords on top of the opponents army which effectively makes them explode as soon as they hit "the ground" or enemy units. Possibly also used if banelings are burrowed and are unborrowed when enemy units move across, like a land mine.

Muta Magic Box = When attacking with mutalisk, in order to avoid taking splash damage from units like Thors, you make the Mutalisk hover right over the unit so that splash damage from that unit does not damage all Mutalisks. Also, the defending unit is forced to turn in order to target a different unit as the Mutalisks are grouped right above it. This causes a slight loss is rate of fire as the movement of turning takes a small amount of time.
    Protoss:

DTs = Dark Templars
    Speedlots = Zealots with the Charge upgrade, researched from the Twilight Council.

K4G = powerful (korean) 4 gate and is abit allin-ish. there are variety of them but the BO is roughly the same, throw 3gateway down at about 18supply (anfd constant chrono warpresearch).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

*reserved*

*reserved *

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭VikingErik

Doomdrop = Loading a large portion of your army into flying "transport" and unloading in the enemy base or other advantages offensive position.

DTs = Dark Templars
    Speedlots = Zealots with the Charge upgrade, researched from the Twilight Council.

Worker Harass = Attacking resource collecting units (drones/probes/SCVs) at opponents mineral lines without engaging in battle with offensive units.

Baneling bombs = Most often referred to as banelings unloaded from overlords on top of the opponents army which effectively makes them explode as soon as they hit "the ground" or enemy units. Possibly also used if banelings are burrowed and are unborrowed when enemy units move across, like a land mine.

Muta Magic Box = When attacking with mutalisk, in order to avoid taking splash damage from units like Thors, you make the Mutalisk hover right over the unit so that splash damage from that unit does not damage all Mutalisks. Also, the defending unit is forced to turn in order to target a different unit as the Mutalisks are grouped right above it. This causes a slight loss is rate of fire as the movement of turning takes a small amount of time.

Just some of the ones that I could think of. Worker harass might be self explanatory. Magic Box might need a better explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

F/E = Fast expand, building a second command center/hatch/nexus early in the game.
    Transfer = Using the resource share button on the top right of the screen, you can give allies resources.

I'll try cook some more up.

Edit/
    Harass = Keep your enemy distracted and attempting to do small damage while you build up your base/forces for the final push.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Maynarding - transferring a number of your drones fron your main base to your natural base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

expo = Expansion base, usually named natural then 3rd, 4th etc. counted from the main base outwards.

Maynarding = transfer workers from an existing mining base to a new expo in order for it to a) start providing the player with income immediately and b) increase overall mining efficiency. Named after the SC:BW player Maynard.

OP= overpowered
    UP= underpowered
    IMBA = imbalance
    Q_Q = Back in Starcraft this was the command to exit out of game(Alt+Q+Q). Friends will then say, "Aww! You QQ'd!" This will later spawn the crying face with the tears.

All-in: means committing to a single attack which can yield a huge gain, but if it fails you are either 1) very far behind or 2) out of the game. Note this doesnt apply to SC2 a race called Terran.

Timing attack: refers to an attack that moves to exploit a temporary weakness in an opponent's build. Some Timing attack can be rather all-in but not all timing attack is all-in.

kite/kiting = see SC2 unit Marauder with Concussive Shells upgrade vs Protoss unit Zealot(without charge)

metagame = due to the vast mis-use of the communities now it is accepted to be used as a Verb or Noun:
    1. A term that describes any planning, preparation, or maneuvering that a player does outside of actual gameplay to gain an advantage.
    2. Describes the current trends and stable strategies that are being used.
    3. 'You metagamed me!!' - Blindly execute an unconventional build based on the understanding/guesswork of your opponent's unique/personal playstyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

terran = crybabies
    zerg = overpowered
    protoss = perfectly balanced master race

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

APM = Actions Per Minute
    Rax = Barracks.
    PF = Planetary Fortress.
    GG = Good Game
    GL = Good Luck
    HF = Have Fun
    WP = Well Played
    Manner = just means politness. If you use all the above regularly you are considered to have Good manner.
    Rage/Raging = (1.care of IDRA) getting angry while playing. so when you start off your APMs top out at like 300, and then you do some terrible all-in build.
    Rage Quiting = (2.care of IDRA) quiting without saying GG
    On-Tilt = (3. care of IDRA) Letting your emotion cloud your judgement

Note: 1. 2. 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

Funky you got definitions of zergs and terrans wrong, should be the other way around :D

I might add:

Baneling bust - using banelings to blow up building walls and allow other units to flood in

Stutter step or people might call it animation cancellation, orb walking, strafing. A micro technique that can increase ranged unit effectivness by over 9000. Basically you order a unit to move right as its attack animation starts. This way it will deal damage and instantly start moving again, allowing you to keep up with fleeing units or retreat urself and attack again.

Also I dont think turtling should involve a wall. TvZ zergs basically turtle all game until broodlords\ultras. Both TvP and ZvP protoss usually tro to turtle on 3 bases until deathball status. Just hardcore defense. As far as to just force a draw.

khaz u war3 player??? i feel so warm when i see 'orb-walking'!!!

ops better put something OT:

Proxy : A (production) building anywhere that is not part of a player's base. This reduces travelling time from the unit-producing structure and the opponent's base leading to a strategic advantage.

• Advertisement

Nope I am terrible at classical TFT
    DotA - played that for 7 years.

NICE :D same here played dota for years now eventho i played quite some RoC/TFT back then. if you are interested i think i can get you a dota2 beta key (when the beta is officially open for public ofc).

OT:

K4G = powerful (korean) 4 gate and is abit allin-ish. there are variety of them but the BO is roughly the same, throw 3gateway down at about 18supply (anfd constant chrono warpresearch).

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

manner pylon: a Pylon placed inside your opponent's mineral line, obstructing the mining process and possibly trapping workers between the mineral patch and the building.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

gg - good game, say it to your opponent when he's losing. Follow it up with "out plz."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

[QUOTE=seraphimvc;72372545
    Q_Q = Back in Starcraft this was the command to exit out of game(Alt+Q+Q). Friends will then say, "Aww! You QQ'd!" This will later spawn the crying face with the tears.[/quote]
    Really? Is that true or is there a touch of the bacronyms there. I remember seeing qq and tt at around the same time, so i always assumed the qq came as a crying icon.

Timing attack: refers to an attack that moves to exploit a temporary weakness in an opponent's build. Some Timing attack can be rather all-in but not all timing attack is all-in.

This is very misleading. Most timing attacks refer to attacking just as your own upgrade is finished and in play rather than divining the time that your opponants siege tech is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

No, the whole point of a timing attack is to exploit a time window where your opponent cannot easily react to what you do. This can be done by having better upgrades but there's others like the roach ling timing attack against 3 gate sentry.

^what he said:D

T_T is another popular internet meme i think but QQ is defo from sc(or maybe warcraft2 time, meh sc is bigger anyway).

manner hatch/nexus/cc = Is a kind reminder that dropping a hatch/nexus/cc at your oppo main to remind him to tap out asap.

Aren't Doomdrops possible for all races? I know a protoss would never actually try. Or have I missed the "true" meaning of doomdrops?

lots of protoss doomdrop.

• Advertisement

lots of protoss doomdrop.

Should start working on a build for this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

seraphimvc wrote: »
    ^what he said:D

T_T is another popular internet meme i think but QQ is defo from sc(or maybe warcraft2 time, meh sc is bigger anyway).

manner hatch/nexus/cc = Is a kind reminder that dropping a hatch/nexus/cc at your oppo main to remind him to tap out asap.

QQ existed in Warcraft III for 2 reasons.

1) To exit the game was Alt + Q + Q (generally done without a GG - IdrA knows all about it)
    2) A professional player once quoted in an interview 'More pew pew, less QQ' and the QQ was to be taken as BM. It's essentially stuck since then

Whether or not it existed before then I have no idea.

QQ predated wc3 by far.

QQ always refered to tears, as well as tt, qq, etc. Pretty sure the alt q q thing is a backronymesque thing.

As to timing attacks, like i said, it refers to both. Dont take my word for it though, just listen to any artosis commentary. He and tasteless regularly refer to a timing push once a certain upgrade is completed.

Dustaz wrote: »
    QQ predated wc3 by far.

QQ always refered to tears, as well as tt, qq, etc. Pretty sure the alt q q thing is a backronymesque thing.

As to timing attacks, like i said, it refers to both. Dont take my word for it though, just listen to any artosis commentary. He and tasteless regularly refer to a timing push once a certain upgrade is completed.

I'm no expert, but I'd say timing pushes are pretty vague in terms of definition. I think it has more to do with choosing a time, but it's referred to as a timing push because you know that it's "the right" time. The pros will do timing pushes based on their knowledge of what stage their opponent is at, but the simplest timing push is once your own upgrade or specific unit comes out.

If I wait for my next round of units to come out before I attack then that's a timing push as well. However in pro games it usually refers to a time point where your own "something" finishes but before your opponent has time to reach specific tech.

But that's just my interpretation.

Good DT timing would not be when you just get ur DarkShrine. It would be when terran has no detection. No turrets\out of scans (just dropped mules).

VikingErik wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I'd say timing pushes are pretty vague in terms of definition. I think it has more to do with choosing a time, but it's referred to as a timing push because you know that it's "the right" time. The pros will do timing pushes based on their knowledge of what stage their opponent is at, but the simplest timing push is once your own upgrade or specific unit comes out. .

This is exactly what i was trying to say. thanks :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

VikingErik wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I'd say timing pushes are pretty vague in terms of definition. I think it has more to do with choosing a time, but it's referred to as a timing push because you know that it's "the right" time. The pros will do timing pushes based on their knowledge of what stage their opponent is at, but the simplest timing push is once your own upgrade or specific unit comes out.

I agree. A timing push could be to attack and arrive at the enemy base just after an upgrade finished (ie. stim, conc shell or +1 for Terran)

At a high level of play it could mean spotting you opponents tech path and attacking when you know his tech/rush/upgrade isn't quite down (ie, when he has tanks but no siege, before he gets banshee cloak) This feels more like a 'window of opportunity' attack to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

A 'Timing Attack' is a word used by casters far too often. 90% of the time it's literally just an excuse to say they're attacking but the casters have no logical explanation as to why. It's ridiculously overused and ridiculously vague. Just avoid it.

RM - Make this thread a Sticky??? it's going to get lost pretty quickly otherwise.

• Advertisement

bump, any other info we can add?

Advertisement