Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Mac Munster craic 30/4/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 snozz

Great new adventure race on yesterday in Millstreet -Monster Mac! the scenery was spectacular, the course pretty tough, but I have to say I've never done a race with such brilliant support from the marshalls and locals - there were people outside every house cheering us on! Thanks to all the Millstreeters for making it such a cool experience:p
    Lovely setting and well organised - its great to see some good races based in Munster - saves travelling too far which is nice for a change
    homemade soup and sandwiches after were a bonus. The party later on was mighty craic with the locals mingling with the blow-ins! One for the calendar next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

Loved this race yesterday :) Challenging course, lots of hills on the cycle but really well organised and chilled out atmosphere, 11:30am start for the sport - nice, great local support and very friendly competitors in Munster. The prizes looked amazing, specially designed pottery, great incentive to go faster next year :) great fun in Millstreet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EmmaD1

Loved this event! There aren't enough good things I could say about it. The organisation of the race was second to none, as expected with any event run by Paul Mahon. Even though it was a new course, there was never any doubt where you needed to go, markers and marshalls at all junctions or in places you may have any doubt. Course was very challenging, especially the second cycle which nearly had me in tears :eek: but thats what you're looking from in an adventure race and this had it in abundance!

Have to reiterate about the local support - it was in a different league to some of the other races I have done. You could really tell the local community was 100% behind the event and that they were delighted we were down in their part of the world getting to see all the beautiful scenary. Craic was great during and after the event (with some much appreciated soup and sandwiches to be had as well) and had great fun out that night too. The prizes were very personal as well, each one uniquely created by one of the race organisers herself - Hilary Jenkinson. Such a nice touch and one that summed up this race. If you weren't there, make sure to add it to the calendar next year. It can be a bit of a drive down if coming from somewhere like Dublin but it was a really enjoyable weekend away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dubs114

A big congrats to everyone who completed the course on saturday. Who knew there would be so many hills. Great race, though it is only now that i am able to say that. I sure wasnt saying that after the race as my legs ached but a few days on i can revel in the satisfaction that i completed it. Thanks to all the organisers and the soup afterwards brought me back to life. Spectacular scenery and great views from the top of the mountain climb. Its great to see another part of ireland i probably would not have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kevd2000

Really good race, well organized, enthusiastic local support and a really nice course. A little bit tougher than I was expecting though ! The hills on the second cycle nearly killed me. Definitely one for 2012. We also stayed in one of the nicest B&B's (Coolefield house). The owner couldn't have been nicer, He had tea ready when we got back from the race and he even taxied us into town post race! Thanks Mike for giving us such a great impresion of the Millstreet locals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I'll just echo what everyone else reported above, well organised, great course and scenery, very enthusiastic local support. I finished 8th in the Sports with a flu so will definitely be back next year to improve :D (hopefully)

Had to dash straight after the race so couldn't wait for the refreshments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Thanks for all for their universal positive reaction to the Monster MAC:D

Hilary, Marie and I were really happy with how things went on the day and for sure the enthusiastic locals helping out and supporting really contributed to the positive vibe and enjoyment of the day for all concerned.

The provisional date for the next Monster Mac is 28th April 2012 so one for the "must Do" in diary ;)

If anyone is interested in Hilary's pottery she can be contacted at Crannmor Pottery - some good value stuff there for wedding / "significant" birthday presents too - There is an apparent trend away from just giving money and instead to support local crafts and produce :eek:

Next up from me in terms of AR/ Multisport races is the West Wicklow Roar on 28th May and WAR Glenmalure on 16th June

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mumford

Great race. Really well organised - thanks to all the marshalls out on the course - without them I would have been lost! The support from them and the community was great particularly when climbing some of those nice steep hills! Refreshments afterwards were great especially the soup and brown bread. Definitely one for the diary for next year. :D

Advertisement