Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penelty points and insurance

Options
  • 03-05-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

I just get a letter in the post saying I got 2 penelty points for speeding. How much will this effect my insurance quote next year? Does 2 make much of a difference? I was thinking of getting an Integra Tyre R
    Right kick in the balls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ring your insurance company and ask them, easiest, fastest and only way to know exactly how 2 penalty points will affect your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For most people 2 penalty points doesn't affect the premium, though some insurers give a bonus for having zero.

A few insurers (maybe all of them now) add clauses to the policy which increase your excess to 2,000 or 3,000 if you have penalty points that you haven't told them about.

Edit: Quick quote on the Aviva website shows that you get a 20% discount for no points, 10% discount for less than 3 and no discount for having less than 5. They won't actually quote if you have more than 4 points (although maybe the full quote works).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Predator_ wrote: »
    I just get a letter in the post saying I got 2 penelty points for speeding. How much will this effect my insurance quote next year? Does 2 make much of a difference? I was thinking of getting an Integra Tyre R
    Right kick in the balls

As a matter of interest OP, how long after the offense did you get the letter?

What the others say is the norm, I know with my own insurance I get 17% off for no points, 10% off for 2 points, and no % off for 4 or more. Probably increase the premium after 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

If it's your first 2 points then it shouldn't make a difference, but you should still notify your insurance company.

If however these are just two extra, for example if this pushes you up to 12 points, then it will make a big difference. Still notify your insurance company though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

polyfusion wrote: »
    As a matter of interest OP, how long after the offense did you get the letter?

What the others say is the norm, I know with my own insurance I get 17% off for no points, 10% off for 2 points, and no % off for 4 or more. Probably increase the premium after 4 points.

About 3 weeks ago, going 114 in a 100

btw do I have to inform my insurance company? Could they charge for getting them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

You'd want to check your insurance conditions, you may have signed something to the effect that you would inform them if you got any points.

I know when I got my points, once I received notification that the points had been applied, I then informed the insurance company that I had them.

I think there was another form I signed a few years back, in effect, allowing them access to my points record. I know (at the time at least), they wouldn't give the full penalty points discounts if you didn't allow them access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Predator_ wrote: »

btw do I have to inform my insurance company? Could they charge for getting them?

Your duty of disclosure period arises at renewal regarding Penalty Points. So it won't make a difference telling them now. And even when you inform them at renewal it will more than likely make no difference to your renewal premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

If it's your first 2 points then it shouldn't make a difference, but you should still notify your insurance company.

If however these are just two extra, for example if this pushes you up to 12 points, then it will make a big difference. Still notify your insurance company though.

Ya !

A hooooog difference.

You'd be disqualified from driving :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Ya !

A hooooog difference.

You'd be disqualified from driving :eek:

Exactly. Which is why one should notify their insurance company if such an event occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Exactly. Which is why one should notify their insurance company if such an event occurs.

I think you should find out the implications of this action before you take it.

I got 2 points for speeding on two occasions a few years ago and therefore had four points on my licence for a period. When renewing the deal was that there was no requirement to notify the insurance company if you had two points. If you had four points it was optional. More than four was compulsory. I received a 10% discount on my premium and if I elected to supply them with my driver licence number (and therefore access to my points record) I got a further 10% discount (if I had less than four points). As I had four points it didn't make sense to give them my driver licence number but of course there was a downside to this and it was that there was then an excess of €2,500 on my policy.

As I was driving a 5 year old car and I decided that if I was in an accident I was happy enough to pay the first €2.5k myself, I didn't submit my driver licence number. This is like self insuring and basically depends on your attitude to risk. Its a perfectly legitimate route to take.

It would seem that the insurance companies didn't have the right to access your points record years ago and may have been trying to incentivise people to supply their details - things may have changed since then. If the terms of your policy state that you have to divulge any points you definitely should. Its doubtul if they will load you for 2 points unless you are a young driver. You could always ring up and make a general query without stating your policy number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement