Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ann Druyan, talking about her husband, Carl Sagan

Options
  • 03-05-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭

This is gorgeous - heartwarming for the atheists among us.

http://monicks.posterous.com/ann-druyan-talking-about-her-husband-carl-sag
    “When my husband died, because he was so famous & known for not being a believer, many people would come up to me — it still sometimes happens — & ask me if Carl changed at the end & converted to a belief in an afterlife. They also frequently ask me if I think I will see him again. Carl faced his death with unflagging courage & never sought refuge in illusions. The tragedy was that we knew we would never see each other again. I don’t ever expect to be reunited with Carl. But, the great thing is that when we were together, for nearly twenty years, we lived with a vivid appreciation of how brief & precious life is. We never trivialized the meaning of death by pretending it was anything other than a final parting. Every single moment that we were alive & we were together was miraculous — not miraculous in the sense of inexplicable or supernatural. We knew we were beneficiaries of chance… That pure chance could be so generous & so kind… That we could find each other, as Carl wrote so beautifully in Cosmos, you know, in the vastness of space & the immensity of time… That we could be together for twenty years. That is something which sustains me & it’s much more meaningful…

The way he treated me & the way I treated him, the way we took care of each other & our family, while he lived. That is so much more important than the idea I will see him someday. I don’t think I’ll ever see Carl again. But I saw him. We saw each other. We found each other in the cosmos, and that was wonderful.“

- Ann Druyan, talking about her husband, Carl Sagan
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lovely words

Try find a video/recording of it, cos Ann Druyan has the most soothing and relaxing voice in the world. Wonderful woman.

Her and Carl were made for each other!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dave! wrote: »
    Her and Carl were made for each other!
    Although technically of course they weren't :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They were! God willed it that they meet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Very moving words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jobee

We now know the planet will die as the sun becomes a red giant.

We also know it appeared and solidified 4.5 billion years ago.

In a 'lot less' than 1 billion years it will become a fiery hell.

Isn't it time to stop saying thank you to a 'theoretical' god

and concentrate world wide on space time travel and habitable planets? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement