Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Celica VVTi

Options
  • 02-05-2011 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭

http://www.kavanaghsofarklow.ie/Details.aspx?ID=4400937

I'm contemplating on going to view this car tomorrow, i'm sure the price is well up for negotiation so i'm not too worried about that, i'm just pondering the car in general.

it looks well spec'd and original (except for whatever asshole painted the calipers red) and the figures suggest that it only does 4-5 mpg less than my current car so thats a winner, and there are no dramatic tax differences either.

just wondering does anyone have any info as to what to look out for in these cars?

all i can seem to recall is that some of the 140bhp's can be fond of a drop of oil. is there any way to tell (via chassis number etc) which ones were affected or was it all of them? also, what is the best way to get an oil burning car to produce blue smoke (check on start-up, or rev hard or something) so i can check for that too.

any other info/ opinions would be great also, thanks lads :)

Comments

I have been keeping my eyes open for a decent example of the same model lately. As you say the only complaints i can find about them are the oil burning issues, which, lets be honest are a potential minefield. Have talked to my mechanic(ex toyota indie) who assures me that really is the only issue with them and that it was sorted out by late 03. His advice on spotting an oil burner was a cold start on a cold day. Apparently it is much harder to spot in warmer weather as the seals(i think he said) were warmer and more supple thus less likely to leak oil where it shouldn't be. Might be hard to spot with current weather. Lovely car by the way, hope ya get it for 3 or less!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wouldn't touch a pre 03 or whenever they sorted the oil problem VVTi Celica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Correct me if I'm wrong but where the oil burning issues confined just to the 1.4 and 1.6 VVTi engines?

shamwari wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but where the oil burning issues confined just to the 1.4 and 1.6 VVTi engines?

The 1.8 had a seperate issue :)

I reckon it's not likely to spot one with the issue and I don't put any value on what the seller claims, especially a dealer as they won't know. I wonder though if it was a guzzler would the 3 month warranty cover it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Guys, correct me if im wrong but isnt that price advertised a bit expensive for a 10 year old petrol car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Asking price is expensive which could account for the warranty and judging by the manual air conditioning it is either a UK or JDM spec car. Irish Celicas had climate controlled air con.

This one seems better value, higher spec and a year younger:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1758806

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

i'm liking the 140bhp version for the cheaper insurance, there is a considerable difference between 140 and 190bhp models insurance wise and i'm not going to be doing any fast and furious **** in it, i just want something that can move a little bit and looks the part, i also fancy the vvti celicas as opposed to the likes of the FTO above because they are chain driven so if its maintained properly, service costs should be a little cheaper too.

the asking price is a bit adventurous but i briefly worked for the garage selling it, and i'm still good friends with the dealer so i'm hoping he'll do me a good deal (that said, i don't trust him enough to let him tell me it doesn't burn oil :P or have the warranty cover it).

also, i still have my car so i'm not in a position to stump up 4k cash, but maybe 2k max with my car, if he considers it for a trade in at all, if not i'l have to rethink my plan again.
    RoverJames wrote:
    The 1.8 had a seperate issue

what was that issue? :pac:

andyseadog wrote: »

Toyota blurb attached :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Toyota blurb attached :)

from reading that it seems like this isn't a wear thing, but more a problem that could just appear all of a sudden at any given time, but from reading that article too it would seem that cars that have had the correct oil services are much less likely to suffer from the problem.

i'd like to imagine on a car thats already covered 106k miles that any problems that were likely to have happened would have already and that its either burning shed loads of oil or has already been repaired. i might just be trying to sell the car to myself though.

best thing to do i suppose is go view the car, see if it has a good service record and/ or (hopefully) some proof of the repairs being carried out, otherwise i'l just leave it, i suppose its just not worth risking.

• Advertisement

No, that makes sense, the Toyota blurb is Toyota blurb though. On the owners club there is lots of cases of low mileage ones that were main dealer serviced guzzling oil from low miles. Also the blurb does have a mention of vehicles with full service history. 'twas 2006 when I got my Celica and there was loads of threads on ToyotaOwnersClub.co.uk that were years old by then.

As you say though if it's not guzzling it now it should well be fine, loads of them didn't have an issue too. My fear would be buying a guzzler. It's not easy to spot, loads of people maintain they never observe any signs of oil being burnt except for the need to top it up.

RoverJames wrote: »
    No, that makes sense, the Toyota blurb is Toyota blurb though. On the owners club there is lots of cases of low mileage ones that were main dealer serviced guzzling oil from low miles. Also the blurb does have a mention of vehicles with full service history. 'twas 2006 when I got my Celica and there was loads of threads on ToyotaOwnersClub.co.uk that were years old by then.

As you say though if it's not guzzling it now it should well be fine, loads of them didn't have an issue too. My fear would be buying a guzzler. It's not easy to spot, loads of people maintain they never observe any signs of oil being burnt except for the need to top it up.

it's a very tough call. would be terrible to get rid of a car thats running great for a ****ter. i'm going to go have a look anyway and suss it out but won't be taking any chances at all and won't be commiting to buy tomorrow either way.

with my old 1.4 corolla if you were to engine brake in gear with your foot totally off the accelerator then take off again it would puff out a cloud of blue noticeable in the rear view mirror :P

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Is there any particular reason you are going for the 140bhp? The 190bhp is more fun (:D), just as frugal if you don't drive the stones off it, same tax and once the lift bolts are sorted seems to be more reliable...

Is there any particular reason you are going for the 140bhp? The 190bhp is more fun (:D), just as frugal if you don't drive the stones off it, same tax and once the lift bolts are sorted seems to be more reliable...

i'm getting a massive difference in insurance quotes, and i'm not a fast driver either way, once it does 0-60 in under 5 minutes i'm happy enough :)

i did notice when i was looking into them though that there is only 3mpg in the difference between 140 and190bhp models, if i was a little older and insurance less of an issue i'd definitely be looking at 190's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

On the test drive just drive the stones out of it, if it smokes its burning oil.

I have a MR2 with the same 1.8 1zz-fe engine and it likes a drop of oil, but if kept under 3500rpm it uses very little.

IMHO just buy the VVTLi you will enjoy it alot more, its a much better engine and a hell of alot more fun. You should find a VVTLi for about the €3,000 mark, spend the rest on your insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

andyseadog wrote: »
    i'm liking the 140bhp version for the cheaper insurance, there is a considerable difference between 140 and 190bhp models insurance wise and i'm not going to be doing any fast and furious **** in it, i just want something that can move a little bit and looks the part, i also fancy the vvti celicas as opposed to the likes of the FTO above because they are chain driven so if its maintained properly, service costs should be a little cheaper too.

the asking price is a bit adventurous but i briefly worked for the garage selling it, and i'm still good friends with the dealer so i'm hoping he'll do me a good deal (that said, i don't trust him enough to let him tell me it doesn't burn oil :P or have the warranty cover it).

also, i still have my car so i'm not in a position to stump up 4k cash, but maybe 2k max with my car, if he considers it for a trade in at all, if not i'l have to rethink my plan again.

I'd also go for the FTO. Much rarer and nicer (IMO on the nicer part), parts are shared across the Mitsubishi range, and I have had two FTOS and have yet to spend anything beyond the usual consumables on them! 30mpg average which isn't too bad for a 190bhp or so car!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I'm surprised there is so much difference in insurance...I recently went from a focus to a vvtli celica and it cost me €26!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

I currently own a VVTL-I Tsport! I would recommend the L-I. The extra horses give it the kick needed for a car that looks like it does. You dont want to be left behind at the lights by a ford Ka now or something do you? :eek:
    That being said, I havent driven the 140 model, but anyone I know who has own says they are a bit slow.

The issue with the oil was in the 140bhp vvti models from 99-01. Anything after that should be fine(id aim for an 03 at least to be sure).
    Check the alloys before purchase, make sure they are in decent nick, they 'can' wear pretty easily, and make sure none are cracked(aswell as the spare) as they are difficult enough to find(originals anyway for the 190).

So how did ya get on op? Was it a good'in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

A guy in work has the 190bhp for sale, he has it lovingly looked after with the best of equipment used on it. A car enthusiast who is constantly cleaning the car, servicing it and generally doesnt skimp on the equipment. Bit steep imo what he's looking for it but admittedly its a beauty with low mileage.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2089264

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I traded up from a 140BHP model last month. Have to say, I loved the car and was sad to see it go. Unless you're looking to move up to the higher echelons of power (teg's, skyline, s2k's) etc, then it has more than enough power.

Very comfy drive. Bit heavy on petrol for a 1.8 imo. Great handling. Very reliable (Mine was an 04 with 80k miles. Most I ever changed was the tyres and the brakes.) Timing chain rather than belt so no worries there.

And like previous posters said, no oil isses after 01. (I think).

Would highly recommend. Get a better price for yourself though! Re: insurance, nononsense do quite good insurance on them.

Advertisement