Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HATS IN THE RING! Do you want to be an interviewer for Stephen Donnelly TD??

Options
  • 30-04-2011 1:41pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Stephen Donnelly TD will be here Thursday and Friday to answer questions!!

So we are looking for a panel of people, from across the political spectrum, to pose questions and debate with him.

If you missed the explanation thread, its here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71816559

You need to be available at least a reasonable amount of time on Thursday and Friday to debate with him. I'll choose the interrogators on Tuesday so if you can do it and are up for it, please post here volunteering!

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I've been hugely impressed by Donnelly every time I see him, but given he's an independent first timer, I'd say it might be difficult to find somebody who knows enough about his or his policies to carry out an interview... Well, aside from the people of Wicklow who voted for him..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So ask him! :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

As much as I'd like to be an interviewer (Not much at all, actually...), I have a Leaving cert to deal with, so I'd appreciate if somebody would be able to ask him about which ideas he is going to put forward or support to improve the general infrastructure in Wicklow including:
    • Roads (particularly the N11 between Arklow and Rathnew)
    • Telecommunications (i.e., broadband)
    • Healthcare (Very little provision of hospital services for people in the South of the county, esp. in Arklow, you must travel to either Wexford general or Loughlinstown)
    • Wicklow Port (doing far too little business)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

As much as I'd like to be an interviewer (Not much at all, actually...), I have a Leaving cert to deal with, so I'd appreciate if somebody would be able to ask him about which ideas he is going to put forward or support to improve the general infrastructure in Wicklow including:
    • Roads (particularly the N11 between Arklow and Rathnew)
    • Telecommunications (i.e., broadband)
    • Healthcare (Very little provision of hospital services for people in the South of the county, esp. in Arklow, you must travel to either Wexford general or Loughlinstown)
    • Wicklow Port (doing far too little business)

Isn't Wicklow-specific infrastructure the job of Wicklow county council? I'd like to hear his views and policy ideas for all of those things nationally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Isn't Wicklow-specific infrastructure the job of Wicklow county council?
    While it is the job of WicklowCoCo to deal with infrastructure, I'd like to hear Donnelly's ideas on the topic. WicklowCoCo aren't exactly known for their down-to-earth planning and have made some bizarre submissions for roads (some of which have been developed, see R999). Little provision has been made for high speed broadband in the region, and a 50 minute drive to a hospital could easily be the difference between life and death in a serious accident. As these problems are rampant within Donnelly's constituency, I would hope that he would have interest in these issues.
    I'd like to hear his views and policy ideas for all of those things nationally
    Personally, I'd rather hear his opinion on issues relevant to people in his constituency, than his opinion on the N21 between Ratass and Ballycarty. I'd assume the same goes for residents of Tralee and Martin Ferris' opinion of the N11.

• Advertisement

Personally, I'd rather hear his opinion on issues relevant to people in his constituency, than his opinion on the N21 between Ratass and Ballycarty. I'd assume the same goes for residents of Tralee and Martin Ferris' opinion of the N11.

Youve mistaken what I mean by national issues. These are not specific road problems from a far flung constituency, this would concern his views on the national road strategy, views on repairs in general, views on road safety etc. He could of course comment on specific cases to back up his points but national TDs shouldn't be talking about their vision for their constituency

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is a serious issue with our political system at the moment. A TD, *should* be focused on the good of the nation but as places like Tipp North and Kerry have shown us that the way to get re-elected (and thus, keep your job!) is to pander to your local constituency even if its at the expense of the other counties...

In many ways we are becoming a Federation of Counties rather than a single country ruled by a single government...

Anyway, I take it you are both interested in questioning him?? (otherwise, ummm,... why are you on this thread :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Anyway, I take it you are both interested in questioning him?? (otherwise, ummm,... why are you on this thread :)

DeV.

I am... but I cannot be sure of my availability on those days. I can certainly jot down questions here over the next few days when I'm on but I can't be an interviewer as I cant set aside a block of time for which I can guaantee I'll be free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

I would like to throw my hat in the ring for this.

The main area I would like to Question him on is Education.

I would like to know his views on Third Level Fees. Church involvement in the Education system. Making the Primary school day longer. The Irish Language in the Education system. The funding of fee paying schools and cuts to special needs classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I would like to know why so much money is given to the RSA and far less to the organisations which help people with mental health issues even though more people die from suicide than road accidents each year in Ireland.

I would also like to know his views on the Irish Language in the education system and point out the many problems with the education system as I see them everyday, as I am a student. Stuff like why students who are capable of doing good in school are in classes with people who don't care the slightest about school and come to school just to annoy and harass other students.

Fees for college, I know a lot of people, including myself who will struggle to finance college of higher fees are introduced.

Why councils can pay €2m to re-decorate a town square when a hospital is lying vacant up the road from it, I know this is more of a local issue but I'm sure the money could of been invested in something better than the square which would benefit the whole north east than a place which will eventually become an area for alcoholics and druggies to hang out, as it has been in the past.

Why drug addicts are allowed to roam the streets of our capital city intimidating people and scaring away tourists who would bring more money into our economy.

That would be mainly the questions I would ask and the points I would raise.

• Advertisement

Ok, so far so good, you all seem sane and engaged with reality :)

One more day for others to step up, if you want to be involved just post below. If you have questions about the whole thing, post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Judging by the reaction here DeV, I don't think there is any fear of him being mobbed with posters in the same way Gogarty would have been.

Perhaps he should be just given a big red account, a thread of his own and let people who are interested chat with him.

No offence to Stephen Donnelly, or indeed yourself, but there is just not going to be the same buzz or excitement about this. Stephen only has a smidgen more power now than before. (Some might argue that he had a little more before as he wasn't a vested interest taking his salary from the state) He's in opposition, and on top of that he has no party behind him, so has very little power. I mean, he'll only get to speak in the Dáil on a rare occasion, and even then, lamentably, no one will listen to him.

None of this is his fault, of course, but its still true, that it doesn't really matter what his opinions on the issues facing people today, as there is shag all he can do about it.

Like I said, I don't mean to be overly negative, and perhaps this can serve to show other politicians that we're not a bad bunch here on boards.

Anyway, the main point I wanted to make was that I think that in this case there is no need to restrict access to the debate. Just unleash Stephen Donnelly and let him engage with the public. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Where is the questions thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd be interested in questioning him but my time on Thursday/Friday is a little limited due to the fact that I'm currently finishing a masters

Firstly I'm going to be upfront and disclose that I'm a member of the Labour Party in Co Wicklow.

The questions that I would like to ask are quite broad - As a TD he has focused mainly on economic issues but what does he feel that he can contribute to social issues broadly speaking but in particular social and economic inequalities, social housing, disabilities, suicide. I personally get very irritated by politicians and commentators focusing so much on the economy and economic issues that social problems get completely overlooked in many ways. Has he any thoughts on that?

I'm interested to know - does he see himself as a national representative for the people of Wicklow or in a different role than the other 4 TDs for Wicklow?

He has said he is in favour of gender quotas - Besides quotas how would he address the issues of the lack of women in politics? approximately how many men and how women were involved in his campaign? - does he think that any of the women in his campaign could be a TD?

One last question - Does he see any problems with the patterns of media ownership in Ireland?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'll run the idea of "free range Q&A" past him, I am just very cautious because if I get say, David Norris here, it might be a different question so then we end up saying "you're too hot/controversial/hated to be allowed talk to the general public" to some and not to others but I'll sleep on the idea. I'd still like us to pick questioneers though, so that we have a specific team ready to question him.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

DeVore wrote: »
    I'll run the idea of "free range Q&A" past him, I am just very cautious because if I get say, David Norris here, it might be a different question so then we end up saying "you're too hot/controversial/hated to be allowed talk to the general public" to some and not to others but I'll sleep on the idea. I'd still like us to pick questioneers though, so that we have a specific team ready to question him.

DeV.

I suppose you could do both, Have a team of questioners in the Political Debate forum asking questions on the various topics, the same as last time, and have a free range thread in the main forum that he can engage with as he sees fit aswell.

Ok, having had a chat with Steve he says he's very happy to simply answer questions in threads tomorrow in the main forum. So, we'll create a prefix most likely and simply keep the whole show in the politics forum. Anyone can ask questions (but I will be modding the thread so any acting the bollox is going to get squished.. and hard.) but I will be contacting the people who expressed interest on this thread to ask them particularly to engage.

Lets test it this way and see how it goes. He'll be here from 10 am tomorrow and has booked out three slots in his day to answer questions tomorrow (and finish up on Friday too).

DeV.

Advertisement