Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic g20 saorview

Options
  • 03-03-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I am thinking of buying a panasonic 46g20, available on special offer for about €900 from Richier sounds. Richier sounds are not guaranteeing that the tv will receive the saorview channels.Does anyone have a panasonic g20 working with irish DTT I will be receiving signal from Mullaganish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No-one should buy any Panasonic Product. Plenty similar products.
    Search Panasonic on Forums to see why they deserve to be boycotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I have the 42" version of the G20, Sam. It's working just fine, apart from no teletext on TV3.

Picking up transmission from Three Rock, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sam Casey

Ok what would you recommend here's the spec list

saorview
    Freesat or sat tuner
    record to hard drive
    stream form computer
    High quality picture
    46" sceen
    Ideally plasma but would consider lcd

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sam Casey

I have the 42" version of the G20, Sam. It's working just fine, apart from no teletext on TV3.

Thanks for that, Richier sounds are no longer guaranteeing this set for ROI, rep told me that they took one in for a customer and couldn't get it to work properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Richer Sounds are spot on in this case, unlike other retailers who will happily sell this turkey down here. They deserve praise for highlighting the issues with it and they were also amongst the group that worked on the Phillips 'glitch' between November and January and got that sorted.

Panasonic refuse to acknowledge problems....never mind fix them :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Laker04

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Im am not sure what's the story with the g20

but i have a pz81 42 inch plasma, great display but no support for the digital tv even though it has the hardware capable of receiving it

if the g20 has the same problem as mine, then i can say that a new g20 out of the box wont work as it needed to be tuned in before rte changed the transmission settings, thats why tvs work for some and not others, depending on when they have been tuned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these Panasonic TV's that ye talk about, designed and built for the UK market, ie Freeview and not Saorview ? I bought the Panasonic 42" G10L ( Irish model ) two years ago and it works perfectly for Saorview, albeit without digital text ( not a big deal imo, and is more than compensated by a beautiful tv, with fabulous pictures via plasma ). It shows RTE2 HD etc beautifully. Ok, it's sister model in the UK has a Freesat tuner which the Irish model doesn't, but I have a Humax Foxsat PVR for that. I remember Watty saying ages ago, that a tv is merely a dislpay monitor for connecting all your boxes to and I agree with him.
    Irish model Panasonics have Mpeg4 tuners in them and I presume the latest models have Mheg5 aswell, if they don't, they should have, but bear in mind, until a few months ago,there was no "official" Irish dtt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

galtee boy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these Panasonic TV's that ye talk about, designed and built for the UK market, ie Freeview and not Saorview ? I bought the Panasonic 42" G10L ( Irish model ) two years ago and it works perfectly for Saorview, albeit without digital text ( not a big deal imo, and is more than compensated by a beautiful tv, with fabulous pictures via plasma ). It shows RTE2 HD etc beautifully. Ok, it's sister model in the UK has a Freesat tuner which the Irish model doesn't, but I have a Humax Foxsat PVR for that. I remember Watty saying ages ago, that a tv is merely a dislpay monitor for connecting all your boxes to and I agree with him.
    Irish model Panasonics have Mpeg4 tuners in them and I presume the latest models have Mheg5 aswell, if they don't, they should have, but bear in mind, until a few months ago,there was no "official" Irish dtt.

The Irish minimum spec was advertised in Feb 2008. The minimum requirements havent changed. The service in MPEG4 has been on air since August 2008 regardless of what weasel words are used .

Panasonic TVs were sold here.

No a TV is not a display monitor if it is sold as a TV. The expectation is that you will be able to receive digital TV without third party equipment.

The G10L isnt even compatible with Irish DTT. No MHEG5 - we use MHP apparently according to Panasonic.

There is no such thing as an MPEG4 tuner. The hardware is an MPEG H264 L4 chip. That does the work via the tuner module (if it is allowed to).

Sony and LG also released a "UK" Freesat/DVB-T range. They work perfectly with Saorview. They dont seem to have interpreted the UK Dbook spec the same way as Panasonic implementation in 2 Freesat Combo ranges. Why is that ?

Given the shortcuts taken with ETSI standards and what previous TVs have been crippled to decode, who in their right mind would recommend anything Panasonic to receive Saorview outside of an official certified product ? Only then can you wont have to second guess each manufacturers individual interpretation of standards.

As an aside because the G20s are based on the Freeview HD standard they should be okay, but I couldnt stand over that if I sold them. God knows what similar nasty surprises there could be down the line.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Sam Casey wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Richier sounds are no longer guaranteeing this set for ROI, rep told me that they took one in for a customer and couldn't get it to work properly.

Guys,

apologies for butting in - it's not an issue of does the G20 work or not work - at the moment we CANNOT GUARANTEE that the G20 range will work with Saorview - we have tried to get confirmation that this model will continue to operate with Saorview and unfortunately we have not been unable to get this from Panasonic - Even though we are based in Belfast and this is not relevant to most of our Customers we do feel duty bound to inform Customers that as the Pana models we supply are UK models we cannot guarantee that they will work in the ROI.

...after saying that - I will say that the G10/G15/G20 range are all stunning and I would have no hesitation recommending them but if MPEG4/MHEG5 are vital - I would advise caution.

We do have a spanker of a deal on the 46G20 at the moment though!(sorrry mods could not resist - delete as required :o

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Richer Sounds are spot on in this case, unlike other retailers who will happily sell this turkey down here. They deserve praise for highlighting the issues with it and they were also amongst the group that worked on the Phillips 'glitch' between November and January and got that sorted.

Again unfortunately we cannot claim much actual credit here - we did shout, jump up and down and threw a lot of toys out of cots on behalf of our Customers & Boardies to Philips - but to be fair Philips & RTE deserve the credit for actually sorting the issue out and it shows that it helps to have real people who actually care about the end user in large Companies - Things can always go wrong - but it's the way they are handled that makes the difference & it shows things get done when little people in big companies care!

As ever if we can assist drop us a line,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Helps to have retailers listening to their customers, watching out for 'issues' as they arise, and reacting quickly to them John.

Richer were the only multiple boxshifter who contacted Phillips that I know of and did so rather early on. Thanks for that again. You certainly lost no customers for doing so.

It would also be fair to say that the Phillips 'glitch' with disappearing radio channels was eventually sorted by RTÉ changing _something_ like inserting a space in a field and that the affected Tellys never had a problem with picture and sound.

Everybody is happy now...how bad is that ?? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭liamtech

pardon my ignorance folks, but what Phillips glitch are you referring too?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Fixed now, they could not find the Radio Stations on Irish DTT for around 3 months.

galtee boy wrote: »
    I bought the Panasonic 42" G10L ( Irish model ) two years ago and it works perfectly for Saorview, albeit without digital text ( not a big deal imo, and is more than compensated by a beautiful tv, with fabulous pictures via plasma ). It shows RTE2 HD etc beautifully.

The spec was out since February 2008. Panasonic ignored it. I would not "presume" anything.

The So called Irish Models are not for the Irish Market at all.

It's fine to have a Screen that's only a Monitor, if it's clearly sold as such. If it's sold as a TV it should work locally with an aerial.

I have PAL + RGB SD monitor (not a computer monitor) and about 4 x 19" CRTs that work as HD Progressive Monitors for PC or Broadcast (1920x1080@50p). So I know what a Monitor is ;)

LG can do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I was in an "EXPERT" store today and the 2011 Panasonic models have just arrived with them this week. They all have mpeg5 (his words, not mine).

Only 1 to 2 years behind.

I was in an "Expert" store and not a single TV set was labelled with any information other than Price.

No DTT info, no compatibility info. The Retailers told nearly THREE YEARS ago to label sets correctly and inform customers.

Yours Disgusted,

Of Tunbridge Wells.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 suites

i have a panasonic and it worked perfectly with the new channels for about 9 months then in october it also had great epg and digital text

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

suites wrote: »
    i have a panasonic and it worked perfectly with the new channels for about 9 months then in october it also had great epg and digital text

... then in october ...?

Did you lose the channels?

The Panasonic 0x16 / 0x19 Service Type problem - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056081158, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055542668

• Registered Users Posts: 26 suites

yes unfortunately because it was brilliant text and epg all in the new format . I had to invest in stb which is good and have all the channels back now .but it was so much easier before they changed to MPEG 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Who would have thought that buying a tv would be so hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

suites wrote: »
    I had to invest in stb which is good and have all the channels back now .but it was so much easier before they changed to MPEG 4.

MPEG-2 was only used in the Dept of Communication trial between 2006 and Jul 2008.

Since RTÉNL started pre-launch engineering test transmissions in the first week of Aug 2008 it's been MPEG-4 but thay have changed the service types used and the video profile (HD L4.0) which has knocked out products not fully compliant with the DVB-T standard.
    Who would have thought that buying a tv would be so hard

A Saorview certified product will be 100% compatible, cuts out the guesswork.

Advertisement