Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Sub maybe ?

Options
  • 24-04-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Just thinking out loud here, theres a section for militaria (medals..badges etc), how about Transport, Police and Fire collectibles, I dont see one in Emergency Services (unless I am missing something), and anyhow thats mostly a discusion zone.... opinions???:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi TransplantedDub,I know you are only looking for opinions but if you wish you can submit a thread on the Forum Request forum here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461 to request a new sub-forum.This topic can be discussed about there and the Admins managing boards.ie can decide if a new sub-forum is needed or not in due course.

EDIT: Sorry just saw this,no new forums been accepted at the moment. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=461

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi guys,

I think we can find a space for this in Militaria as a sticky thread maybe? I know where arnhem is coming from but if we consider militaria in the widest form to include uniformed services then it would fit in I think.

A lot of German WWII collectors collect German police and fire services, civil defence and Luftschutz items as part of their WWII collections so police and fire services and other services (uniformed) from other time periods and, of course, countries could be placed into militaria.

Any thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't think there would be enough traffic to warrant a dedicated sub-forum.

I think it belongs in the militaria forum but not as a sticky as there are already too many of them going a good way down the page imo.

I myself feel at present that the subject doesn't warrant a sub-forum until it's established that users would contribute to the subject.Also a sticky I feel isn't the answer either.Whilst the subject matter does relate at times to the Militaria Forum it also relates to the Collectibles and Antiques Forum so a standard thread in either forum should be suffice to cover any topic that's wished to be discussed for now.

Thanks guys. So it looks like the consensus is that a) no sub-forum is needed and b) a sticky in the militaria forum is not really required.

I would agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

Preusse wrote: »
    Thanks guys. So it looks like the consensus is that a) no sub-forum is needed and b) a sticky in the militaria forum is not really required.

I would agree with that.

So it would be safe to say.....it will be included in the realm of Antiques and Collectables....and anyone accidently posting in "Militaria" will be politely redirected into A&C....Yes ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

So it would be safe to say.....it will be included in the realm of Antiques and Collectables....and anyone accidently posting in "Militaria" will be politely redirected into A&C....Yes ?

I am not a moderator but I would have thought Police items belong in the militaria forum rather than the antiques and collectibles one. I have posted WW2 related police items there previously, on other militaria forums I have seen police items (not just RIC, DMP etc) which are posted as militaria.

I do think police and other uniformed service items do belong into Militaria as well. I certainly wouldn't see it as a problem if someone posted it there. As Morlar said there are some threads/items there already. If someone posted it in Collectibles and Antiques I would suggest to also post the query in Militaria and vice versa. I know it's a duplication but depending on where you get your answers from we (mods) can always delete the less-active thread after a while (making sure to merge any replies with the more-active thread).

Does that make sense? It's very warm and sunny where I am at the moment :cool:

Morlar wrote: »
    I am not a moderator but I would have thought Police items belong in the militaria forum rather than the antiques and collectibles one. I have posted WW2 related police items there previously, on other militaria forums I have seen police items (not just RIC, DMP etc) which are posted as militaria.

If the topic of police,transport or emergency services apply to the militaria forum then threads can be started in that forum but if the topic is not related to militaria such as for example emergency services collecting(non war related) then it should be posted in the Collectibles and Antiques forum

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TransplantedDub

:rolleyes: sorry....didnt mean to cause any trouble, just wanted to see some clarity on the subject matter :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement