Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reasons for owning a higher performance car in Ireland?

• 18-04-2011 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

First off, I'm very much in favour of high performance cars, I'd just like to find out how people justify the high running, tax and insurance costs in Ireland to themselves. I'm defining 'performance' as Golf GTI and above - a fairly wimpy yardstick I know, but this is Ireland after all.

So considering we don't have much of a motorway network, low max speed limits compared to some countries, small landmass and very few racing tracks, what's the point in buying a high(er) performance car? Basically, when I go looking for one I want to be able to justify it to myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

its fun, comfortable, and you have a bit of speed when you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Outside of unrestrcited sections of Autobahn, are our speed limits any lower than others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

knowing that if and when you need to, youre car can and will get you out of a sticky situation that probably our own stupidity got us in in the first place and simply that when we pull up next to a normal car we can look down on them like an insect and possess huge cojones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Confab wrote: »
    First off, I'm very much in favour of high performance cars, I'd just like to find out how people justify the high running, tax and insurance costs in Ireland to themselves. I'm defining 'performance' as Golf GTI and above - a fairly wimpy yardstick I know, but this is Ireland after all.

So considering we don't have much of a motorway network, low max speed limits compared to some countries, small landmass and very few racing tracks, what's the point in buying a high(er) performance car? Basically, when I go looking for one I want to be able to justify it to myself.

The ability to make the rest of us in our crapmobiles soil ourselves with jealousy would be worth it alone. :D

Seems as the Golf GTi sneaks in I reckon I can mutter about the ZT, no way a performance car but it's a grand a year to tax and does 20mpg ish, justification
    - cheap to buy
    - tremendous handling
    - V6 sounds lovely
    - has cruise control, leather/alcantara seats, auto dip mirror, auto wipers etc etc as well as all the standard standard muck like 4 electric windows, fogs, ABS bla bla bla
    - I love it
    - only €300 to insure too btw

Driving the likes of a boggo Avensis, Golf, Focus, Mondeo etc would depress the arse off me not to mind stuff like a little Fiesta or Fabia. Minimising depreciation makes my car financially sensible so I don't even have to justify it to myself :)

I wouldn't class a GTi or my yoke as a performance car with high running costs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Outside of unrestrcited sections of Autobahn, are our speed limits any lower than others?

The majority of Europe I'd say.

A lot of countries have 130kph speed limits. I belive Italy has 150kph and Poland recently changed to something similar ?

I think Spain reduced motorway limit to a shocking 100kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

RoverJames wrote: »
    I wouldn't class a GTi or my yoke as a performance car with high running costs though.

I agree, but that's the general Irish definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ah it's not the top speed that counts, it's all about how quickly you get to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...what's the point in buying a high(er) performance car? ...

Because you can, and you want to.

Don't need any other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Because it's fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

there are no benefits here,Ireland must be,NO definately is the most car unfriendly country I have ever lived in.
    Generally the roads are/feel a hundred years old!!
    Insurance is a ripoff scam!!
    Petrol is a rip off/scam!!
    VAT and VRT is extortionate.
    Car prices are the highest in europe and most cars are base spec,cloth seats,nothing electric etc.
    The Irish are the biggest begrudgers of wealth,if you drive a decent looking car,100% sure it will be sratched or damaged by some gob****e for no reason!!
    For the first time in 20 years I dont drive a sporty car and its because of where I'm living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

tweedledee wrote: »
    there are no benefits here,Ireland must be,NO definately is the most car unfriendly country I have ever lived in.
    Car prices are the highest in europe and most cars are base spec,cloth seats,nothing electric etc.
    The Irish are the biggest begrudgers of wealth,if you drive a decent looking car,100% sure it will be sratched or damaged by some gob****e for no reason!!
    For the first time in 20 years I dont drive a sporty car and its because of where I'm living.

Me hole.

Ireland is dirt cheap for luxo barges and performance cars, especially in these times.

I would say citywise in Europe the most car unfriendly cities would be in order of sh*ttyness:

1. Rome (Nutters)
    2. Amsterdam (Parking, Congestion, Having a car is like a Chocolate Fireguard)
    3. Milan (Nutters and Ninja parking rules)
    4. Paris (Arch de Triumph says it all and Parisians are as*holes)
    5. Antwerp (FFFFUUUUUU, stupid ring road ala M50)
    6. Duesseldorf (frikking potholes and cobblestones everywhere, plus the Umweltzone you cannot enter without a sticker)

All the backroads and national roads in Ireland are great fun to drive on, here in Holland theres frikkin speed cameras everywhere.

Road tax and fuel in Ireland is cheap also.

Everyone in Ireland has a car, some houses have 5 cars parked outside. Here in Holland allot of people don't have cars at all, same in Germany.

Edit, my Dutch Insurance is Marginally cheaper than my Irish Insurance was, albeit with an extra year on my NCB.

My Motor Tax is double was it was on the same size/type engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

The feeling of trashing an RS4 TDi off the lights (Or anywhere for that matter) is joyous :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I thought car ownership in Ireland was quite low compared to most European countries?

There are still plenty of back roads that it is possible to drive *cough* a little *cough* over the speed limit, as most of the speed cameras are on main roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh, depends where you live.

Not if you shop around / have a good NCD and a full licence

The UK is more expensive.

I don't pay VAT or VRT by buying secondhand. Simple.

That's rubbish. High end cars have very high depreciation in Ireland and are excellent value. You're talking about a boggo Astra. Plenty of Irish cars have better spec than their UK equivalent.

Meh again. Park your car next to nicer car if you're that worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

tweedledee wrote: »

I'll quote based on living in Ireland:

Agreed. Even the newest surfaces will shake your insides to pieces in a proper car with larger size rims when driving at low speed with the scattered man holes and bumps here and there. I saw a driver get out of the car before to see if the car had a puncture, because the road was so rough (just off of a Motorway).

There are cars which have been dubbed "boy racer" which are unrealistically expensive to insure. Not sure who's at fault here - do the majority of accidents fall under this category?

Petrol is now a complete rip-off. Ireland used to have the 3rd lowest in Europe behind Spain and Greece, before countries from eastern Europe joined. Now Ireland is one of the highest in Europe. Sure the UK has more expensive petrol, but car TAX is also about a quarter of what we pay in Ireland.

Yes and Yes. Don't buy a new car in Ireland!

Again some of the luxury cars in Ireland are a joke with what is ripped out of them.

I don't understand this. Does there need to be a cul of some sort targeting a specific demographic? The U.K isn't much better as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Two lanes going in your direction, you come to lights, after the lights the road quickly filters into one lane in your direction, you pull up to the lights as normal and then some idiot pulls up in the other lane but sticks their car/van/jeep half way across the junction to try to skip ahead of you when the lane filters.

You wait.....

Light goes green, you go and without even breaking stride go past them and safely into the lane in the correct manner while they're foot is planted struggling to get up to speed.

Worth €1280 tax a year every time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

Because it's a statement like sticking up two fingers to whinging greenies. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I like knowing there's a bit of power there if needed. And when it's safe to do so flooring it in 2nd until it hits the limiter and gives you that little queasy feeling in your stomach as your pushed into to the seat.

The GTI is only warm in performance terms but it still does 0-60 in under 7s, the problem now is that my next car will have to be considerably faster again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

There are still plenty of back roads that it is possible to drive *cough* a little *cough* over the speed limit, as most of the speed cameras are on main roads.

...and end up another single vehicle accident/fatality statistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Back roads:

Back roads with small chances of safe overtaking needs powerful cars in Ireland. But car gets bigger, perception of narrow roads makes it harder to go faster. IMO, 2 lt clio is better than 4 lt 7 series at back roads from performance perspective.

Motorways:

Powerful engines with long ratio 5/6 th gear can give low rev silent cruising on motorways. Big engine regardless car itself always makes you feel good on motorways :D

I think big engine luxury cars quite cheap in Ireland in comparing to other countries and this should justify running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

kerten wrote: »
    Back roads:

Back roads with small chances of safe overtaking needs powerful cars in Ireland. But car gets bigger, perception of narrow roads makes it harder to go faster. IMO, 2 lt clio is better than 4 lt 7 series at back roads from performance perspective.
    Backroads and limited overtaking are indeed what commands a performance car, but I would disagree that a V8 7series and its ilk is worse than a 2litre Clio. People talk about "big and small" cars as if there was a huge size difference, but in the context of the length of a road section the size is utterly irrelevant. Handling does come into it, but a quick, torque'y overtake is not a handling focused movement and big V8s do this job quite excellent.

Only if you are used to small nippy cars can the big powerful ones seem a handful. However considering a 2.0litre hatchback would be considered a performance car in Ireland.. this is a moot point. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

David09 wrote: »
    Because it's a statement like sticking up two fingers to whinging greenies. :D
    Sounds like you've been watching too much Clarkson. The Greens don't care what you drive, as long as you pay your taxes. I'm a Green and i've always driven quickish cars. As Chris says, we do it because it's fun. And for those of you whining about the state of the roads, lose the big rims and hard suspension and you'll go a lot faster and in more comfort. Unless, of course, making a statement is more important than actual ability?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Backroads and limited overtaking are indeed what commands a performance car, but I would disagree that a V8 7series and its ilk is worse than a 2litre Clio. People talk about "big and small" cars as if there was a huge size difference, but in the context of the length of a road section the size is utterly irrelevant. Handling does come into it, but a quick, torque'y overtake is not a handling focused movement and big V8s do this job quite excellent.

Only if you are used to small nippy cars can the big powerful ones seem a handful. However considering a 2.0litre hatchback would be considered a performance car in Ireland.. this is a moot point. ;)

First of all, I prefer a V8 7 series over a clio anytime on any kind of road :) .

IMO, throwing a 2 lt clio with proper suspension on a sharp corner fast is easier and less riskier than 7 series in a narrow back road. Because 7 series will almost fill lane and leave so little space in lane to use in case of an unexpected slip or stupid oncoming driver. My logic is all about driving at the limit with minimum risk

About overtaking, I agree that a V8 7 series won't have so much problem power wise but again if it is a narrow road with tight overtaking lane I would be more hesitant to do a fast overtake maneuver in 7 series than clio.

It may only be me slowing down more on blind corners with big cars to not to scare oncoming traffic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

knowing that if and when you need to, youre car can and will get you out of a sticky situation that probably our own stupidity got us in in the first place and simply that when we pull up next to a normal car we can look down on them like an insect and possess huge cojones :D

lol,don't you drive a 1.4 astra or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,587 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Seeing as Golf Gti and this comment comes in to it :
    Ah it's not the top speed that counts, it's all about how quickly you get to it!

My car is no race car but it is a nice feeling to have a bit of poke when you need it.

vectra wrote: »
    My car is no race car but it is a nice feeling to have a bit of poke when you need it.

Don't worry...pretty much everything out there will annihilate my Polo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Don't worry...pretty much everything out there will annihilate my Polo.

and my Seicento :o

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Unless you pull up alongside a 1.4 Focus :)

or a Seicento...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Reason #1: The possibility that your car might turn up here:
    Here's what I saw today (Please read the rules before posting)

My life is complete :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Having a real high performance car (and Skoda VRS's are not) in Ireland is like stuffing a cucumber down the front of your trousers.

Looks impressive to the ladies, but you'll never really use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

My #1 reason is so irish people can begrudge me about how much tax i pay or how many miles per gallon i might get in an effort to make me feel bad about having a nicer car than them. still sleep at night though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

Some of the good reasons for owning a performance car.

Catching your reflection, in a shop window.
    The girl who smiled at me, whilst I was stopped in traffic.
    The N2 at 06:30 on a sunny Spring Sunday morning.
    Taking it to Europe.
    Walking towards it in a car park.
    Flooring it.
    Getting a little side ways.
    The challenge of owning something people think is very very expensive, and running it on a shoe string.
    Fixing it, and improving it.
    The look on someones face, when replying to, how many litres is it.
    To be different.
    And not forgetting relentless acceleration.
    But Mainly the huge grin it puts on your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I think if you (or anyone) needs to justify it to yourself then you might never get one.

I have my 8er (wouldn't really call it a high performance car though) because I want it :D Pure desire really, same for the Lexus ...........

They're quite the 'must have' rather then the 'need' item imo. My 'need' wagon is a Corolla.

Go out and do it - you know you want to ;) (Or if you're looking for excuses for the OH (or your own subconscious) then there's plenty of viable material above :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

or a Seicento...:pac:

You would give me a run for my mo ey in my super awesome 1.6 mondy! :p

• Advertisement

Bumpstop wrote: »
    Some of the good reasons for owning a performance car.

Catching your reflection, in a shop window.
    The girl who smiled at me, whilst I was stopped in traffic.
    The N2 at 06:30 on a sunny Spring Sunday morning.
    Taking it to Europe.
    Walking towards it in a car park.
    Flooring it.
    Getting a little side ways.
    The challenge of owning something people think is very very expensive, and running it on a shoe string.
    Fixing it, and improving it.
    To be different.
    And not forgetting relentless acceleration.
    But Mainly the huge grin it puts on your face.

Nailed it. I miss it all now, and that only 3 weeks in!!!!

I wount hide it, I lived to do this to people:

"hmmm nice car, what is it?"
    "it's a skyline"
    "is it fast?"
    "define fast?"
    "how many letters is it?"
    "it's 2.5 with 400hp"
    "holy ****"

Now this will sound weird, but I noticed interesting thing. When I drove skyline people were nice to me, they would let me go in junctions. Would let me go past etc. Just generally nice. When I drove old crept Mondeo people tream me like ****! Some lexis fella almost drove in to me while I was going main road. I stoped and and looked at him, he just looked at me as I was some poo on a stick and drove off!

In my opinion, if you are a petrol head, you will allways have a reason to buy a performance car. Having that extra power allways makes you feel safer. (excluding rwd, LSD, rain lol )

P.s having a wheelspin in third gear by accident makes it worth the price you pay of ownership lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bumpstop wrote: »

I love this, when I tell people my Focus is a 2.5 litre the reactions can be priceless! :)

draffodx wrote: »
    I love this, when I tell people my Focus is a 2.5 litre the reactions can be priceless! :)

Focus with different engine then 1.4?! Now that's silly mister! :D

They must be complete non car folk though, sort of like talking soccer to someone who isn't into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

On top of all the reasons mentioned already I can go out and buy a 10 year old 740 with all the bells and whistles and it will cost me less to run for one year than a boggo spec brand new Corolla.

2011 Corolla 1.4 D-4D
    Price: €19995
    Tax: €156
    Power: 90bhp
    MPG: 60.1
    Retail Value After 12 months: €15k

2001 BMW 740
    Price: €3k
    Tax: €1566
    Power: 282bhp
    MPG: 22.8
    Retail Value After 12 months: €2.5k

Corolla:
    Tax: €156
    Fuel: €1128 @ 10k miles
    Depreciation: €5k

Cost 1 year: €6284

740:
    Tax: €1566
    Fuel: €2985 @ 10k miles
    Depreciation: €500

Cost 1 year: €5051

I know which one I would rather be in!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    On top of all the reasons mentioned already I can go out and buy a 10 year old 740 with all the bells and whistles and it will cost me less to run for one year than a boggo spec brand new Corolla.
    Yeah, if nothing needs to be spent on the 740 over the course of the year. I like your thinking, but i've run enough middle-aged heavy metal to know that that's a very big if.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Reasons to own a performance car in Ireland
    1. Acceleration is fun.
    2. Safe overtaking.
    3. Speed can get you out of trouble in ways that non performance car don't.
    4. Performance cars have performance tyres and brakes, this is safer and stops better at legal speeds.
    5. Sounds better.
    6. Looks better.
    7. Tend to have more toys & safety equipment
    8. Tend to be better constructed than regular cars to withstand the forces greater performance put on the mechanicals.
    9. Its a hobby as well as a mode of transport.
    10. Makes driving more enjoyable.

Basically if you have to ask then you probably wont get it.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yeah, if nothing needs to be spent on the 740 over the course of the year. I like your thinking, but i've run enough middle-aged heavy metal to know that that's a very big if.:)

€1k in maintenance over the course of the year and you're still better off than in the Corolla!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

My #1 reason is so irish people can begrudge me about how much tax i pay or how many miles per gallon i might get in an effort to make me feel bad about having a nicer car than them. still sleep at night though ;)
    Sad reasons if you ask me. Sounds like a fast motor is wasted on you. What you got? If I had a fast car it'd be for the ready access to the power if I ever feel the need for speed.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Sad reasons if you ask me. Sounds like a fast motor is wasted on you. What you got? If I had a fast car it'd be for the ready access to the power if I ever feel the need for speed.

Sarcasm radar down for maintenance?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

You wouldn't wanna drive in Wicklow in a 1l Micra...

Saying that you wouldn't wanna be driving in a Ferrari either because most of the roads are absolutely ****e!!

Still there are some select roads in the mountains which have been recently paved and you can freely open the taps on it...

Also its not about the top speed or engine size.
    Its about handling in the twisties and acceleration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

lol,don't you drive a 1.4 astra or something?

I do but I'm still a man after all :D plus with 2 buddies having m3s, 1 an evo 7 and another with an s2000, i know :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I say a Corolla try to overtake both a car and a truck (same time) this morning at 60kph. He couldnt quite get by the truck so had to slice between the 2 vehicles as there was (at that point) oncoming traffic.

I mean literally a 1.4litre average Irish car couldnt (sufficiently, it was gaining but too slowly) outdrag an already accelerating truck. So sad. :rolleyes:

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I say a Corolla try to overtake both a car and a truck (same time) this morning at 60kph. He couldnt quite get by the truck so had to slice between the 2 vehicles as there was (at that point) oncoming traffic.

I mean literally a 1.4litre average Irish car couldnt (sufficiently, it was gaining but too slowly) outdrag an already accelerating truck. So sad. :rolleyes:

In fainess to the Corolla the driver was probably in 3rd or 4th, in 2nd I would think there would be loads of acceleration to get by an accelerating truck. And of course overtaking stuff that is itself accelerating on a non dual carraigway is sh1te driving too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Well, I've just gone back to an FTO after driving a 3 litre BMW, and I find it too slow! (no that doesn't mean im changing it Onkle!) I don't speed, but I need my car to have oomph, just for safety. Drove my girlfriends 1 litre Polo for a week or so, and it really was disgraceful how cars like that are allowed on the road. Plain dangerous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement