Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Masters in BUsiness/Managment

Options
  • 16-04-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I got a 1st in my Engineering degree a few years back and I have been lucky enough that my employer has offered to support me going back to school part time so to speak. My manager then went on to recommend I do something with a more business slant than engineering.

My question is what is out there? I live in Donegal, but travel a lot for work and spend most weekends in Dublin so I would need it to be mostly distance learning.

I was looking at the Msc in Ops Management from DCU via Oscail and the Master in Management from Smurfit. These 2 courses seem to fit my requirements well but are they any good?

Any feedback/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Crisco10

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

I think you should add the OU MBA as it seems from your lifestyle this would be right up your street in terms of the study methods and the flexibility that affords. It has triple accreditation as well. Tutors, tutorials and residential weekends are offered in Ireland.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/qualification/f61.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the IMI courses; Henley MBA or Msc in Business?

How do these rank compared to smurfit etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭lizanne83

Hi Crisco,

I am finishing up my 2nd and final year of the Masters in Management at the UCD Smurfit Business School. I am also working fulltime in a large organization.... similar to many of my classmates. Most people are working fulltime.... furthermore; most people are outside of Dublin... and indeed Ireland.

We have classes one weekend/month Friday's and Saturdays: The block release Semester 1: August, September October, November. With exam(s) December. The monthly block weekends for semester 2 is January, February, March, April. With exam(s) in May.

The course is very interesting, great subjects, a lot of support (online, study guides, etc) but the only negative thing that we all agree on is the workload intensity for what is called a ‘part-time’ masters. It feels more like full-time… if you want to do well you need to stay on top of it. It can get annoying at times when after doing a long day of work in the office you have to face study/assignments when your friends/colleagues can go do what they please! You can still fit in sport, hobbies, family time... but definately need to make sacrifices in that area too.... you adapt I guess.

We have 4 modules/semester with 2 – 3 assignments per module (actually about 8 - 10 assignments/semester). There’s no more than 2 exams at end of each semester. For the final semester of 2nd year we are into our thesis (simultaneous to assignments) and continue to finish that over the summer. We are currently finishing up final assignments, exams mid-May we will finally then finally be able to focus 100% on finishing thesis… as it was an on-going process since September 2010 (proposal, developing concepts, etc)

All in all – it is ‘manageable’, it is very interesting, it is relevant, the lecturers are great (in the industry and top of their game), you will find that nearly everything we learn is currently applicable to all of our jobs. However – you do need to be self-disciplined. The assignments all have deadlines… but there is nobody to remind you of these… it’s up to you to keep up and manage your time. I would strongly recommend this… some of us in our class compare it to a ‘part-time’ MBA, as it’s quite intense! Here are the modules we have completed… good luck!

Strategic Management
    Organizational Behavioral Management
    Human Resource Management
    Accountancy

Project Management
    Intercultural Management
    Corporate Finance

Business Information Systems Management
    Marketing Management
    Business Research Methods
    Operations, Processes and Supply Chain Management

Managerial Economics
    Conflict and Resolution Management (Labour Relations)
    Salesmanship
    Law
    International Marketing
    Major Thesis (submitted August @ end of the 2 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 welwyn

Hi

Great post, very informative.
    Are you? and were most of your classmates from a business background?

Advertisement