Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper/van awning

Options
  • 19-11-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi im looking to buy a camper/van awning can anyone advise where i can get i any size will do thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Charles Camping in Wicklow have a good choice. I purchased from them and found them good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

We'd have them too if you're South or Midlands based .

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Hi buttons,

What type of awning are you talking about? Is it the wind-out type that goes on the side of the van or is it a tent like structure that gives you an extra room?

If the latter, then there are more questions to consider. Do you want to have to detach and fold it up every time you want to go off exploring, and then set it up when you get back?

We have both types for our motorhome, the wind-out for sunny days when we're not staying long, and a drive-away tent like awning, that gives us an extra room for those rainy days and nights when you want to get out. Here's ours

2786815293_07bb94d245_o.jpg

There are several styles on the market - google "Khyam Motordome" and "Movelite family" for different styles. Ours is the movelite, but an older model. They now come with extra bedrooms in them too. We bought on the web from the UK, and were happy with price and service.

If you want any more info, feel free to ask or PM me.

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

hi zoltar boi,
    that looks a lovely spacious addition to your motorhome.
    i bought my first motorhome just 5weeks ago,but unfortunately
    it does not have any awning.
    do i need an awning to attach the extra room to or can it be
    attached straight to the vehicle?
    is the one pictured a drive away version and roughly how much should i
    expect to pay for something similair?
    thanks,
    kev

Hi Kev,

Congrats on the new purchase - and the best of luck for the road.

The movelite attaches in a couple of ways. you can either hook it to certain roll out awning (albeit with an extra attachment that you have to buy), or use the included throw over straps. I use both, to be sure to be sure!

It takes the 2 of us about 20 mins from arrival to glass of wine, and adds a 3m square room. With 2 kids it's great on a wet day when trying to cook dinner.

I paid about 200 yoyos a couple of years ago, and they really haven't changed in price - here's a link <<Click here>> which shows them in the UK. Look for the Family version, as it has an annexe which is like an extra bedroom - good for in-laws. You need to check max heights as well, to make sure the tunnel that joins to the side of the van will reach over the habitation door. The Movelite is quite tall, as our door is up in the clouds.

It is a drive-away, and is perfect when on site and you want to go touring. just unhook the straps / awning and drive off. 5 mins to de-camp or when you get back. It is fibreglass poles, so quiet lite, and has stood up to gales in Kerry / Galway. If you know how to erect a dome tent you can do this as easily.

Feel free to ask any more questions you have.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

thanks zoltar,
    thats great.ill have a look through that site and if i need more help[which i prob will] ill give you a shout.
    cheers,
    kev

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

We've one of those movelites, with sleeping room , great job, had it for our 3 weeks in UK. Good quality too. Seen them on campers of all shapes & sizes over there incl. conversions

Could put kids to sleep I mean bed... & sit out for a while, allows you to drive off & not have to pack everything too..

I can't get it all back in the one bag though... grr

Make sure when you buy it that you get the awning attachment, it's a quick attach system for the awning. I didn't & had to sling a few straps over the camper.

zoltar_boi - think I saw you in Tralee last year - Easter?

Hi Konit,

We were in Tralee last year, but just before the Rose festival (august). We pitched in the top field (let all the rain flow down the hill). Had the awning up that trip alright (that's where the photo's from).

Do I owe you any money????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

na, just thought I was parked there same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bob Coggins

hi,

Just found this, and was wondering if anyone has any idea where Id get my hands on a second hand awning or one for less than €400?

I have a 27ft camper, so want to get as large an awning as possible, but not pay €1000 or more..

Thanks,

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

One here, from a fellow boardsie

Great, thanks for that, looks good. May need to go for a bigger one. Know any good breakers or used part suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Check out eBay
    I have the same one as zoltor. Bought it last year on eBay barely used for about 130 euro. And it was only a few months old too.
    It's a great yoke and is way lighter than the canvas equivalents and it's easy put up on your own too.
    Here's one on eBay 160571334999
    Marty.

Thanks for the steer!
    Im thinking something more like this 120707948744 from ebay though, just want the canvas roll out with the scissor arms, had one on the last van, great job for what we want..
    Ill keep looking though..
    Thanks.

Advertisement