Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New-t-est form of pest control in garden

Options
  • 08-04-2011 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

The last day when I was blogging about drainage, I touched on making the garden more attractive to frogs.

Today, Josephina turned up with a newt or lizard (not sure, sent the photos away for ID) but thats really good news for me icon_biggrin.gif . From my initial reading it appears this is probably a male newt
    liz2_591.jpg
    Poor wee bugger had lost it's tail and part of a leg thanks to the attention of my fierce little feline friend, but otherwise seemed in good nick.
    liz9_122.jpg
    For now I moved it to an enclosed drain which has water and mud - and provided shelter.

My plan is - subject to advice - is to put dry catfood in under the shelter on a dry spot. This will attract slugs to the drain, and provide food for my retained reptile.
    liz7_824.jpg
    With only 3 legs and a tail (which will grow back) I recon the only name for said reptile is Lucky.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I reckon that's a Viviparous Lizard. See my post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56697818 for some photos of one I found up in the Wicklow Mts one day. The markings and the colour of it's belly match up well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Many thanks for that Alun, nice to know what I'm dealing with.
    Set up the shelter and habitat for it in a drain, so I hope it will recover, and when it does it might hang around.
    Josephina does not wander far, so it must be from the locale

Advertisement