Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I went for a spin at the weekend...2011 F800R - a mini 'review'.......

Options
  • 06-04-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, I had cause to visit Munich at the weekend, to attend a surprise 40th birthday party of a friend, so we decided to make a weekend out of it.

I was originally going to rent a mad car: Porsche 997 Cabrio or somesuch, but €600 per day was just a bridge too far. But I wanted something, anything.

So, we decided on a bike, and I went online and rented an F800R for the weekend : from Friday to Monday. I wanted an F800GS as I've a hankering for one of those, but an R is all he had. Mind you, I was pleasantly surprised that it was a nice colour. Better still: brand new: only 237kms on it :D Yum Yum Yum

1241391759_8spTK-M.jpg

Our flight was late on Friday, and I underestimated the time to get from airport to hotel to hire place, so it was about 17:00 when I actually got there, instead of 14:00, but it was a lovely sunny evening, and I set off the 50-odd km to Munich via back road. Which is where the GPS came in handy.....:D Tom Tom Rider 2 and matching bluetooth headset in helmet.

Now, he'd have put a GPS mount on the bike for me, and/or luggage, but then we twigged that mine is a Tom Tom, and BMW use exclusively........Garmin. Ah well.

Good job I brought my sucky-cup car thing, then.......and this is where I put it
    1241408040_pbY8K-S.jpg

1241408275_iW6rX-S.jpg

In short, I had no idea if it would stay there, and kept looking and feeling for it with my left hand as I rode along, to make sure, especially after a bump. However, nothing seemed to affect it.

Saturday was promised fine, and they weren't joking: another reason for picking a smaller rather than a bigger bike: I've ridden big tourers there before, and for pottering and short hops, smaller is definately better. And, fairing-less, keeps you cooler, too. Now I understand why unfaired bikes are popular on the Continent..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

:eek:
    Saturday dawned very fine, and Saturday's task was to visit a local Hein Gericke shop, to see if they had any up to date stuff for Mrs Gtt, and then to BMW Welt and Museum.

1241391330_RtCKf-M.jpg

Whilst there, we saw this - I think it's brilliant - a 'full dresser' Honda DN-01.

1241392920_DF4km-M.jpg

Anyhoo, didn't see anything she fancied, so we head off to the BMW Welt and BMW Museum. At this point, you might want to look HERE

The F800R was great in town. Mandatory u-turns perfromed with aplomb. Parking barriers skillfully avoided :p It's light, turns nice and sharply, had great brakes (and ABS btw..), and it made the most delicious noise from it's shiny endcan. The colour suited it's sporty mantle well.....

1241392562_j9zku-M.jpg

Fruity endcan and football pitched size number plate.......
    1241408714_hjAoH-M.jpg

Mrs Gtt said the pillion was very comfortable as well
    1241393271_qR5WD-M.jpg

Mind you, I wasn't totally enamoured with rider seat: I think it had the low seat fitted, which is great - I could flat-foot both .......feet, easily, but did find the pegs a titch high. There again, I'm not twenty-something, and my knees are shot. Oh, and I normally ride a Harley, so my opinion is somewhat coloured........I'd say a std seat would be perfect, otherwise I'd be for adjusting, for fitting adjustable, rearset's.

The clutch was light, but in the constant stop/go of Munich traffic (and you're not allowed to filter, btw.........:mad: :eek: ), my hand got tired quickly - much more so than on my Harley. There again, my joints, like my knee's, are knackered as well............. :(

The engine is as sweet as a nut, it really is. Spins lovely, yet has nice torque.

The gearbox, though. Oh dear. A Suzuki it's not. It clunks into first and I did find it a titch snatchy on v.low speed maneouvres, but it's not bad, and not enough to not buy the bike. If it had belt drive it'd be perfect. Even 1st to 2nd changes weren't as smooth as I'm used to, but, hey, it's works.

In 20-something degrees heat in town, it didn't overheat, the fan cut in, and I didn't get cooked.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

A few pics from the museum, the rest of which can be seen here

Simply gorgeous:

1241395748_zoCdC-M.jpg

How do you make a scrambler from a road bike ?? Just change the tyres of course !
    1241395951_oxLhk-M.jpg

Acting the maggot on the exhibit's.......

1241399636_xeALm-M.jpg

No idea who these kids were, but they were having fun anyway !
    1241399405_yPPEA-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

They had the new big K1600GT and GTL there too, and it didn't feel any bigger than any other tourer btw...

1241394199_ySLsa-M.jpg
    1241406100_Awy9y-M.jpg

So, Sunday dawned even sunnier, and up early and on the road, aiming for the castle at Newschwanstein, in Schwangau. This is the castle famously on which the one at Disneyland is based, so it's a bit of a must-see.

Don't know how hot it got during the day, but at this time, 11:00am, it was already 21 degrees C. :(
    1241408465_zwCYB-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nice one. Sounds like an alright bike. Looks like you had fun anyways which is all that matters

..the road's were fabulous, and there were 100's of bikes out all day.

We pulled in near a famous bridge and sat, like everyone else, facing the road, watching all the bikes and cars out on their Sunday spin. What could be better ?

1241409122_rZtp7-M.jpg

And, as we went higher, the roads got twistier..........and the bike got better. No need for many, manic gearchanges, you could just ride it on the throttle. No one going mad though: Der Polizei are out and take a very Dim View of speeding...........but no need to go at walking pace, either.......

1241411512_yFKQn-L.jpg

Eventually, we get to the castle, and it's just like on the postcard's........
    1241410108_Nwf4x-M.jpg

1241411286_DeQHF-M.jpg
    Horse outside, anyone ?? :p
    1241410301_qoT2r-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

When the time came to leave the castle, around 17:00 on Sunday, and after eating dinner outside at a local hostelry, Tom-Tom gave me a route home. But I said, 'nah', 'recalculate' and I followed it's instructions...........next thing I know I've crossed the river Inn, and we're in Austria !! Cool.

Not.

It may be beautiful, and the glaciers gorgeous.......but seriously, 30km/h speed limits ? FFS. Even Mrs Gtt said if we want any slower the bike would stall.........:confused: We did find one section of 70km/h limit, but met loads of bikers giving what I thought was warning of a speed check.......but it turned out to be this........:( Not good......

1241390725_3C267-M.jpg

We got past that, eventually, duly sombre.......and enjoyed the trip back to the hotel for the last time, and took the following pics: yes, that IS snow!! The temp in the mountain's was a good 8 deg cooler than in the valley, and I was glad I had all my gear on then !

1241391330_RtCKf-M.jpg

1241391546_WEPBs-M.jpg

So, what can I say about..........

The 2011 F800R ?
    Lovely engine, handling, brakes, looks. Std seat is probably better than low one for me, pillion happy to be there.
    Max recorded speed by me 140km/h, mostly 100km/h or thereabouts.
    And here's the kicker: I did 370kms on 13.3 litres of juice. That's an astonishing 75.3mpg. :eek: :eek:
    Commuting? Bloody perfect !!

Germany ?
    Fabulous roads, riders, community, weather. You all have to go.

Austria ?
    Fabulous roads, riders, weather. But if you're a loon, or can't hack following speed limits: forget it. Not only that some towns have complete motorcycle bans........:eek:

Oh, and I forgot: I got my bike from Rudi Fortsch at REF Motorsport in Tutzing, top man, nice to deal with, and the rent was fair : €277 for the weekend. Worth every cent.
    http://www.ref-motorsport.com/index1.htm

Oh, and Tom-Tom Rider ?
    Bloody essential - and the sucky cup is genious !
    All the pics are hosted here, to browse: http://galwaytt.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-Welt/16487486_LpWUx#1241389670_W5YAi

Ode To The Motorist

That castle looks really out of place. Cool though.

What do you think the journey would have been like on a Harley?

seanybiker wrote: »
    That castle looks really out of place. Cool though.

What do you think the journey would have been like on a Harley?

Brilliant actually. Would love to bring mine, but not sure if it isn't just easier to rent again: would save 5 days travelling to/fro- more time in the Alps.

Mind you, don't go on open pipes: you won't get far !

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    Brilliant actually. Would love to bring mine, but not sure if it isn't just easier to rent again: would save 5 days travelling to/fro- more time in the Alps.

Mind you, don't go on open pipes: you won't get far !
    have to do a European trip sometime. Friend went all around France, Italy and a few other places last year on his R1. Don't think I'd like to do it on me gsxr 1000 or any sports bike to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Oooh, i hate you OP.

But in a good way. :pac:
    Looks like a great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Excellent write up - I was over in Munich last week too but stuck in a rental car for my sins. I saw very few bikes and was disappointed with the prices in the various shops - HG, POLO and LOUIS.

I wouldn't mind a spin on the F800R - it looks like a nice all-rounder.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Ooh, I miss Munich now :(

Damn you.

Excellent write up - I was over in Munich last week too but stuck in a rental car for my sins. I saw very few bikes and was disappointed with the prices in the various shops - HG, POLO and LOUIS.

I wouldn't mind a spin on the F800R - it looks like a nice all-rounder.

'cptr

...are you sure it was the same Munich ?? :p
    Mind you, on Saturday - they all headed out of town for their spins. Sunday even more so. Then they all tore back to town on Sun eve.
    HG not the cheapest, but nice stuff. All my gear in the pics is HG. I just like the fact they have a choice. Where is the POLO shop ? Wanted to find one of those, though, for Mrs Gtt to try a particular POLO jacket. Tbh, I wouldn't call motorcycling in Germany cheap. If you want cheap, get the tram. :)
    KTRIC wrote: »
    Ooh, I miss Munich now :(

Damn you.
    ..can't blame you: I loved it. In Another Life, I could easily live there :o

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

...are you sure it was the same Munich ??

I'd say most bikes were being woken up after winter hibernation - I was there during the week too, maybe its a weekend thing
    Where is the POLO shop ? Wanted to find one of those, though, for Mrs Gtt to try a particular POLO jacket.

Here is a map from the HG shop on Balanstrasse to the POLO shop...

There is a huge POLO shop outside Stuttgart airport - it even has a cafe and bar in it.

'c

Advertisement