Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vouchers for Lynch Hotels Now in recievership

Options
  • 01-04-2011 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

I purchased a voucher for Lynch Hotels as a Chritmas present for the parents , They rang today to try book there 3 nights and were told that the voucher cannot be used as the hotels are in recievership. The hotels are still trading is there anything we can do, Value is approx 300 euro ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they're not being liquidated, so all you can do is sit tight til they either come out of receivership and you can use your vouchers, or a liquidator gets appointed to wind up the company, in which case you'd have to join the list of unsecured creditors, which gives you little chance of seeing any of the €300

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did you purchase the voucher by credit card? If so, you may be able to request a chargeback on the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

What if they Booked the 3 nights online, they may have to give a small deposit.
    Don't mention the vouchers, opt to settle up when checking out then present the vouchers.?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,666 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Dayo93 wrote: »
    I purchased a voucher for Lynch Hotels as a Chritmas present for the parents , They rang today to try book there 3 nights and were told that the voucher cannot be used as the hotels are in recievership. The hotels are still trading is there anything we can do, Value is approx 300 euro ??

This isn't the first time people have got stung from this crowd.

As has been mentioned if you paid by credit card you may have some come back.

If not and this is a serious suggestion, take your parents and a few others to one of the hotels, have a slap up meal with a few bottles of wine, when it comes to paying hand them the vouchers and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Are all 7 of the Lynch hotels in receivership? I think only 2 of them are at the moment. Is the voucher specific to one of the hotels in the group or for any Lynch Hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

wyndham wrote: »
    Are all 7 of the Lynch hotels in receivership? I think only 2 of them are at the moment. Is the voucher specific to one of the hotels in the group or for any Lynch Hotel?

Voucher was for any Lynch Hotel.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Boggles wrote: »

As has been mentioned if you paid by credit card you may have some come back.

If not and this is a serious suggestion, take your parents and a few others to one of the hotels, have a slap up meal with a few bottles of wine, when it comes to paying hand them the vouchers and leave.

In fact, if you don't live near enough to the hotel, pop into the nearest shop and take the equivalent cash out of the till!

OP, a chargeback is your only option. The hotel might still be running but will be operated by the Receiver and not the original owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nope, they stung loads of people in 2009 in an examinership and word is they stung some of the same people as last time , last time meant you lost 90% by the way and they did not stick to that arrangement.

This time they seem to wish to 'guarantee' bookings but screw creditors.

I contacted the CC company and started the charge back procedure, need to get a letter off the hotel now stating that vouchers cannot be used.

Newaglish wrote: »
    In fact, if you don't live near enough to the hotel, pop into the nearest shop and take the equivalent cash out of the till!

That's a silly thing to say. :rolleyes:

This crowd have liberally taken peoples money and hidden behind liquidation and receivership policy while shafting everyone that has given them money, service or goods in good faith, in many cases not even honouring the measily 10% pay out they were generously awarded. See Sponge bobs post.

It's not like the hotels have shut down, they are still functioning and have no tangible excuse not to honour the OPs voucher.
    I contacted the CC company and started the charge back procedure, need to get a letter off the hotel now stating that vouchers cannot be used.

Good stuff, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

That's a silly thing to say. :rolleyes:

This crowd have liberally taken peoples money and hidden behind liquidation and receivership policy while shafting everyone that has given them money, service or goods in good faith, in many cases not even honouring the measily 10% pay out they were generously awarded. See Sponge bobs post.

It's not like the hotels have shut down, they are still functioning and have no tangible excuse not to honour the OPs voucher.

If the company is in Receivership, the OP is an unsecured creditor of the company. They are entitled to a dividend based on the sale proceeds of the company once the secured and preferential creditors have been paid. I guarantee this will be €0.

If they go to the hotel, order a meal and try to leave without paying, that's theft and the Receiver will almost definitely call the Gardai. While what I said might sound silly to you, I was trying to illustrate the level of bad advice the OP had received.

Yes, the company directors may have shafted people previously during Examinership. However, company law is company law and your emotive reading of the situation does not change that. Also, a receivership is a very different process. The company is now effectively controlled by the bank, not the former directors, so you're not exactly getting back at the right people by stealing from the hotel.

Good to see the OP has initiated a chargeback.

Newaglish wrote: »
    If the company is in Receivership, the OP is an unsecured creditor of the company. They are entitled to a dividend based on the sale proceeds of the company once the secured and preferential creditors have been paid. I guarantee this will be €0.

If they go to the hotel, order a meal and try to leave without paying, that's theft and the Receiver will almost definitely call the Gardai. While what I said might sound silly to you, I was trying to illustrate the level of bad advice the OP had received.

Yes, the company directors may have shafted people previously during Examinership. However, company law is company law and your emotive reading of the situation does not change that. Also, a receivership is a very different process. The company is now effectively controlled by the bank, not the former directors, so you're not exactly getting back at the right people by stealing from the hotel.

Good to see the OP has initiated a chargeback.

I would agree with you if the hotels had seized trading. Like I said there is no reason they cannot honour the voucher. They also have form and illegally flaunt the rules to suit them.

But what I advised the OP actually happened in one of their hotels in Clare. Your right the guards were indeed called, but advised the hotel to let the table leave accept the payment as no judge in their right mind would rule in their favour.

I don't know if you have been keeping an eye on the local courts recently, but the Judges aren't too happy with Banks, Business's, etc taking ordinary joe public to task, and are hammering them in the courts.

Also you seemed to have missed my initial advice of what the OP should do, which thankfully he is doing and hopefully will get his money back.

Besides Consumer Law is always based on fairness, what happened the OP is certainly not anywhere near the vicinity of fair, at the end of the day it is up to the individual to get his or her redress and this can only be achieved by making a stand and taken some action. I wasn't advising he rolls up into the lobby of the hotel with a 12 gauge.

Latest on this now from CC company is , I have to contact the Liquidator and try seek a refund, once I have recieved a letter from Liquidator I have 7 days to send Chargeback department and they will continue to dispute the amount, Jesus what a pain in the ass

Latest on this now from CC company is , I have to contact the Liquidator and try seek a refund, once I have recieved a letter from Liquidator I have 7 days to send Chargeback department and they will continue to dispute the amount, Jesus what a pain in the ass

Got letter from liquidator today to send to CC company, However happy days a letter also arrived from the CC company, Chargeback is completed, Happy days :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Got letter from liquidator today to send to CC company, However happy days a letter also arrived from the CC company, Chargeback is completed, Happy days :)

Well done for sticking to your guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ashdecmac

Hi -just saw your thread- i also bought a voucher for my dad & am in same boat-would you mind walking me thru how you've gone about setting wheels in motion for getting my money back-who do i contact? who is liquidator?
    would really apppreciate it. thanks aisling

ashdecmac wrote: »
    Hi -just saw your thread- i also bought a voucher for my dad & am in same boat-would you mind walking me thru how you've gone about setting wheels in motion for getting my money back-who do i contact? who is liquidator?
    would really apppreciate it. thanks aisling

I rang Credit Card company to inititate a charge back, I think I then had to put it in writing to them, Then I had to get a letter from the hotels stating that the vouchers were no longer able to be used.
    The CC company then requested that I get a letter from the Liquidator stating that my money was more or less gone and i wouldnt be getting a refund. We got this letter from the liquidator however the CC company issued the charge back and we didnt have to send it in.
    The Liquidator is Price water house cooper, we just rang there office in Dublin and got put through to the correct department.

Basiclly you need to put the dispute in with your credit card company and they will then let you know what they will need from you

Hope this helps let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ashdecmac

Thanks for your help-have started the ball rolling- rang bank fri !!!!

Advertisement