Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Film Board Off-Topic Thread

• 24-03-2011 10:58am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Lots of other forums on the site have an off-topic/chit-chat thread, so we thought why not here as well? Basically this is a hangout for regulars (and non-regulars) to the film forum to participate in a bit of random chat that isn't necessarily film-related. Basically any off-topic conversation that doesn't fit anywhere else in the forum. This may or may not work here, we'll see how it goes.

Oh and forgive me for the boring thread title. Anyone have any suggestions for a cool film-related name for our little film board hangout? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The Foyer - The only place people should be talking ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know why, but Pete's post just vividly reminded me of the Barbie doll "Welcome to the movies, where our goal is your entertainment ad" that played before every single film in my local cinema when I was a wee lad. Must have seen the ****ing thing 100s of times. Can't find it on youtube, but I'm pretty sure it's forever stuck in my subconscious.

I don't know why, but Pete's post just vividly reminded me of the Barbie doll "Welcome to the movies, where our goal is your entertainment ad" that played before every single film in my local cinema when I was a wee lad. Must have seen the ****ing thing 100s of times.

Might be just the mention of the word 'foyer' in relation to the cinema.

I remember the old adverts in the Savoy used to say something like:

'Outside in foyer you can purchase refreshments ..'.

Which in turn reminds me of the old Happy Ring House Ads the cinemas always showed, along with crackling noise of course .. ah memories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I haven't been in the Savoy in years, but I have vivid memories of queuing outside it to see Jurassic Park. I remember going to the zoo shortly after and there was Jurassic Park related stuff everywhere. Toy dinosaurs and baseball caps, etc. It was a great summer.

I also have memories of being in screen 5 in the Savoy. My god, what a dreadful place. I'm sure they've done it up since, but as a child it I found it so bad it put me off going to the cinema if the film was on in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I had one of those horrible moments last night - missing DVD syndrome! And couldn't immediately recount who I had lent my copy of Spirited Away to.

But I now recall giving it to an ex-colleague. Phew.

Unfortunately, my copy of All The Real Girls is lost to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I had one of those horrible moments last night - missing DVD syndrome! And couldn't immediately recount who I had lent my copy of Spirited Away to.

But I now recall giving it to an ex-colleague. Phew.

Unfortunately, my copy of All The Real Girls is lost to time.

There must be around 10 DVDs that I've bought twice because either one of my sisters borrowed it without telling or I just forgot I lent it to someone

Barrington wrote: »
    There must be around 10 DVDs that I've bought twice because either one of my sisters borrowed it without telling or I just forgot I lent it to someone

There's a handful I have effectively sacrificed given varying levels awkwardness or difficulties in getting them back. I'm usually good at keeping track of them (and barring one I know roughly who has what) but will certainly have to get a new copy of Paprika and a few others at some point. I don't think my DVD collection has ever been 100% complete due to lendsies or borrowings.

There's a handful I have effectively sacrificed given varying levels awkwardness or difficulties in getting them back. I'm usually good at keeping track of them (and barring one I know roughly who has what) but will certainly have to get a new copy of Paprika and a few others at some point. I don't think my DVD collection has ever been 100% complete due to lendsies or borrowings.

Have about 20 DVDs borrowed and never returned and about 50 lost to brothers taking and lending on to their friends. Nothing worse than spending weeks and weeks asking for a DVD back only to have the person repeatedly say "Oh I'll get it to you tomorrow" or the old favourite "I gave it back to you". Really annoyed that I never got to watch Season One of the Invisible Man as a friend borrowed it and never returned it, equally annoyed over the loss of my It's ALways Sunny in Philadelphia but that was due to the death of a good friend and I didn't think it would be right to go to the family looking for the DVD back though it did go through my mind just how suited the scenario would be for an episode of the show.

As with lending someone a book, if I lend out a dvd, I pretty much take it for granted that it's gone. So it's a nice surprise when/if I get it back!

Papa Smut wrote: »
    As with lending someone a book, if I lend out a dvd, I pretty much take it for granted that it's gone. So it's a nice surprise when/if I get it back!

I have a strict policy when it comes to certain DVDs, no one bar 1 or 2 very good friends will ever get my copies of The Wire, Babylon 5, Farscape box sets, nor will they get my Battle Royale Limited edition Phantasm, Hellraiser, Battle Royale, etc. If I borrow a DVD off off someone I keep extra special care of it and if it was damaged while in my possession I would go out and buy them a new copy. Got a very, very, very scratched disc back awhile back and a shrug of the shoulders when I asked what happened to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, I hate lending out DVDs for the reasons given above. It really annoys me when people just completely forget to give them back or give them back in poor condition. Same goes for books or games. When I was younger I remember lending Sonic 3 to a school friend and his brother deleted all my game saves off it. I didn't really care that much because I didn't play it anymore, but I wanted to punch him in the face.

Lads, will you stop .. you haven't known pain until you get your VHS copy of Confessions of a Window Cleaner back, which won't play right and on inspection see that it has most likely been caught up inside someone's VCR before being stuck back together with sellotape :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I remember lending my friend my Clerks X DVD and This is Spinal Tap, both of which came back with scratched disks and ripped boxes. Needless to say, after I made him buy me new ones and telling him off, he learned his lesson.

I was still scared sh*tless giving him the loan of The Wire though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lent my friend The Running Man & Dog Day Afternoon.

I got The Running Man back off him albeit with a fag burn through the cover and the DVD looked like it was used as a replacement disc on an angle grinder. I got him to sort me out with a few pints :D

About 3 years later I got DDA back off him out of the blue in mint-condition.

One thing I hate doing is lending DVDs, you'll never see them again in the same condition considering about only 0.4% of the world's populations seem to know how to handle a disc.

Bastards, the lot of them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I got The Running Man back off him albeit with a fag burn through the cover

You should have said "how about a light?" and then smashed him in the face with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

bonerm wrote: »
    You should have said "how about a light?" and then smashed him in the face with it.

Or ask him to turn around so I can sign my name on a piece of paper on his back.........................then stab the pen into him. A nice Running Man touch :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,050 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Netflix could be launching in Europe, perchance by this year or the next?

http://consumerist.com/2011/03/is-a-worldwide-netflix-expansion-coming-soon.html

The Japanese: trust 'em to make something hilarious out of the dreaded anti-piracy ad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates lending DVDs! The last two we lent out came back in terrible condition. My Frasier box set came back with a missing slip cover and dented corners. Our friend let his 2 year old chew all along the side of our box of Let the Right One In. :mad:

He just said, she's a kid, what can you do?
    Eh, put other people's property out of her reach and let her chew one of your DVDs? We have a child ourselves and have our DVD shelves barricaded so he can't get at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There's 2 of my friends I'd have no issue with lending dvds to, everyone else can sod off. I rarely buy dvds anymore but I like what I have, anything limited never leaves the house, someone wanted to borrow my extended edition LOTR boxes (the ones with the harder cardboard cases that came with the statues and figurines) "for the kids" yeah, dont think so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

My attitude to lending DVD's is like my attitude to flying. Basically you're dead the second you step on the plane. If you land in one piece then you've just got your life back (well done). Similarly when I lend a DVD I accept beforehand that it has just been destroyed or lost forever. When I get it back correct it's a bonus.

Also is the irony not lost on anyone else that when you *buy* a DVD you're made to sit thru this (often menu locked too just to ad insult to injury!) whereas the downloaders get no such visual lecture. It's like preaching to the choir.

Yeah, I detest those forced piracy ads. They make me want to return the disc for a refund and illegally download it instead. Which I assume isn't the intended effect.

The one with the idiots having a great laugh while the downloader 'just isn't getting it' makes me want to hurt people.

The Japanese one above is how to do it. Got a serious laugh out of it when I saw it in a cinema over there. The ones on DVDs merely add insult to injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,499 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

The Japanese: trust 'em to make something hilarious out of the dreaded anti-piracy ad:

"10 years of hard labor"?

They don't piss about in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I hate lending dvd, cds, or books because nobody else appears to have the same OCD tendency I have towards them. I'm completely unreasonable about the standard I want them returned in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Guys, anyone out there up for some sort of blu-ray/dvd swap thing here? I've about 30 films I'd like to move on - some still in their original wrapping and all that - but there's no real value in selling them.

This probably goes against adverts.ie and all that but I've looked at the swaps on that site a good few times and no one really uses it. Think it'd be better suited to here tbh.

Renn wrote: »
    Guys, anyone out there up for some sort of blu-ray/dvd swap thing here? I've about 30 films I'd like to move on - some still in their original wrapping and all that - but there's no real value in selling them.

This probably goes against adverts.ie and all that but I've looked at the swaps on that site a good few times and no one really uses it. Think it'd be better suited to here tbh.

PM me a list of what you have, I've got a few dozen films I don't want or have multiples of.

just saw Hunter Prey on netflix. low budget sci fi, but damn excellent.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    just saw Hunter Prey on netflix. low budget sci fi, but damn excellent.

Sci Fi over her has been showing every other week, picked up the DVD awhile back and find myself returning to it every few months.

Can anyone recommend a good place for movie posters online or in Dublin? I really want a 2001 poster and had a look on AllPosters, but they are really small for some reason.

Can anyone recommend a good place for movie posters online or in Dublin? I really want a 2001 poster and had a look on AllPosters, but they are really small for some reason.

I find amazon are great for film posters, they have this very pretty looking 2001 poster.

Gonna throw it in my basket, have a number of posters I want to get saved in it including some of the truly epic Polish ones and some funk Japanese ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

I find amazon are great for film posters, they have this very pretty looking 2001 poster.

Gonna throw it in my basket, have a number of posters I want to get saved in it including some of the truly epic Polish ones and some funk Japanese ones.

Yep, I generally use Amazon and have never been disappointed. Some of them tend to be sent by other companies, but I've never had a problem with them either.

On a different note, I notice that it seems like I very rarely re-watch films, compared to other people on this forum. Maybe I just don't have the same interest as ye, but there's only a few films that I'd watch again and again and most of them would be the kind of films I watched a lot in my youth, stuff like Jaws, Jurassic Park, Star Wars and that. Even films that I thoroughly enjoyed in the last few years, I'd have very little interest in watching again, in 95% of cases, I'd rather watch a new film than one I already know the ending to.

Oh by the way: are you still thinking of a damn name for this thread? The Lobby? Seriously now.

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh by the way: are you still thinking of a damn name for this thread? The Lobby? Seriously now.

Everytime I'd see it I wouldn't be able to help thinking of this :p

• Advertisement

Cheers, hadn't thought of Amazon. A few good ones there.

Anyone heading to the One Hundred Mornings talk tomorrow in Filmbase?

So we're unstickying this thread to keep the top of the forum tidy for various reasons. Now, y'all have to keep it afloat!

As for One Hundred Mornings... won't be attending the talk. Curious to see it though, sounds interesting. Can never quite grasp how sincere the Irish press are when they praise homegrown movies, but this one sounds good.

Can't say I particularly liked it but just attending the talk out of curiousity more than anything. Might pick up a thing or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Just finished watching Poltergeist on Blu-ray. Damn that's a noisy film! We're definately going to get complaints from the neighbours. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Anyone have any suggestions for a cool film-related name for our little film board hangout? :D

Things To Do In FF When It's Dead :p
    Yeah, I detest those forced piracy ads.

GxzeV.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1275510693759

Ed Byrne on DVD Piracy Warnings:
    I wouldn't steal a handbag or a car? Don’t tell me what I would and wouldn’t do! You don’t know me! I am drunk at 4 o’clock in the afternoon, in my pants, about to watch women being tortured to death in an underground bunker in Eastern Europe.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm only asking the question, not advocating anything, but is it legal to make a backup copy of your own DVD and use that one to view the film with the original as the master copy should anything happen to it? You're not paying 50 or 60 euros for the plastic disc when you buy a limited edition DVD, but for the rights to watch it, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm only asking the question, not advocating anything, but is it legal to make a backup copy of your own DVD and use that one to view the film with the original as the master copy should anything happen to it? You're not paying 50 or 60 euros for the plastic disc when you buy a limited edition DVD, but for the rights to watch it, no?

I noticed on a disc I picked up the other day text running around the edge to the effect of "This disc remains the property of Miramax (I think it was) Entertainment Ltd." So I suppose you are just paying for the right to watch it.

I think the area of personal backups has always been a bit fuzzy, but tends towards the legal side so long as that's actually what you use them for.

I can't imagine anything would happen if you did make a copy - plenty of software out there for such a purpose, although unsure of some of their legality.

Alas, the reason these 'rules' are in place is because people will abuse them. For everyone making a genuine personal copy, there's someone making a copy for more sinister purposes. Like the argument that many people hack their technology for 'homebrew software'. Some, sure, but the real reasons for others are pretty obvious. And once again the genuine folk that are getting screwed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You know what's happening to me lately. With the increasing speed that I can "get stuff from my cousins in America" I'm now getting much more films every month then I get a chance to watch. I have a backlog of at least 20 films now that I would usually look at. Need to make a list and yee can tell me what to skip :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's everyone's oldest "Must watch this next" film? Something you acquired a while back and keep meaning to watch as soon as you're finished whatever you're watching. 8MM is the running gag in our house; it's been on next-to-watch since 2001. (the actual calendar year, not the sci-fi film, which is itself a perennial must-watch-this-nexter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What's everyone's oldest "Must watch this next" film? Something you acquired a while back and keep meaning to watch as soon as you're finished whatever you're watching. 8MM is the running gag in our house; it's been on next-to-watch since 2001. (the actual calendar year, not the sci-fi film, which is itself a perennial must-watch-this-nexter).

It's only been a few months (it's rare for me to allow a film go unwatched for long) but I'm struggling to get to watch Bloody Sunday, The Mexican, Days of Glory, and Running Out of Time. Every time I go to watch it I end up picking something else, or not bothered with them.

John Woo's Hard Boiled was on the list but I switched off after 10 minutes, the action scenes were terrible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have films on my must watch list for YEARS! Used to be better before the smallie came along. :(

In other news. There's a Film Quiz on in Kelly's in Galway once a month that I'd recommend to any of ye. It's great fun and the questions are well researched. There's some samples in my friend's quizblog (see my sig). The picture round was excellent this week, actors when they were young. :)

Getting a new 40" Sony HDTV tomorrow. Can't wait! It'll make a big upgrade over the 26" I'm using at the moment. Although as luck would have it my (cheapo) Blu-ray player died on me yesterday. Not sure what to replace it with. Thinking about getting a PS3, but it's a lot more than I planned on spending.

Oh, I was looking at Sony 37" Bravia yesterday in Peats, nice - picture on them are excellent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement