Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus EI-ORD

Options
  • 16-03-2011 5:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

PPrune and Airliners.net are reporting sources that EI-ORD the A330-300 will not be returning to the EI fleet. It will either be parted out or scrapped altogether.

This is the bird that had the heavy turbulence issue and ended up with the aileron castings breaking. For whatever reason it never really worked out properly in the end. It has been in Bordeaux since the beginning of February.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

LOL I flew back from Frankfurt on EI-ORD over christmas when they had to clear the backlog. It was a fair bumpy ride to be fair and the plane fell out of the sky for about 3 seconds.

Im sure thats not the Flight it got damaged with the heavy turbulence though. I did however nearly live up to my username :P

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

Im sure thats not the Flight it got damaged with the heavy turbulence though. I did however nearly live up to my username :P

Hahaha, EI-ORD was a heap anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

David086 wrote: »
    Hahaha, EI-ORD was a heap anyway.

How do you work that out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

LOL I flew back from Frankfurt on EI-ORD over christmas when they had to clear the backlog. It was a fair bumpy ride to be fair and the plane fell out of the sky for about 3 seconds.

The flight with the heavy damage was a trip into ORD. It was on the ground there for 16 days in the AA hanger whilst repairs were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The flight with the heavy damage was a trip into ORD. It was on the ground there for 16 days in the AA hanger whilst repairs were made.

Rather ironic that EI-ORD should run into trouble on the way to ORD!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

lord lucan wrote: »
    Rather ironic that EI-ORD should run into trouble on the way to ORD!:pac:

I had a return flight on ORD or "Maeve" and all the PTV's kept freezing and the whole cabin had to be reset twice during the flight.There was also a noticeable vibration in the cabin during deceleration.I have heard other stories of ORD bieng jinxed.

I wouldn't say it was jinxed ,just like a car theres always a few in the production line that give sh!t after production.

I actually flew EI-ORD myself in late 2006 from JFK to DUB. It was probably the worst flight i've ever been on. As soon as the aircraft left the Newfoundland coast and headed out over the North Atlantic it experienced the worst turbulence i've ever experienced on a flight. It continued for the whole run over the NA until we reached the Irish coast. Obviously not the aircrafts fault but maybe it was jinxed! I had a wing seat and it was amazing to watch the wing flex and absorb the forces pummeling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dirtbox

lord lucan wrote: »
    I actually flew EI-ORD myself in late 2006 from JFK to DUB. It was probably the worst flight i've ever been on. As soon as the aircraft left the Newfoundland coast and headed out over the North Atlantic it experienced the worst turbulence i've ever experienced on a flight. It continued for the whole run over the NA until we reached the Irish coast. Obviously not the aircrafts fault but maybe it was jinxed! I had a wing seat and it was amazing to watch the wing flex and absorb the forces pummeling it.

Flew on ORD lot of times between DUB and BOS and never really had a bad flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

dirtbox wrote: »

The bold bit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dirtbox

dirtbox wrote: »

The bold bit ;)
    Sorry dude didnt meam to quote ur last post..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Well it is an old a/c. Has this affected T/A ops?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

donvito99 wrote: »
    Well it is an old a/c. Has this affected T/A ops?

This thread has been resurrected by dirtbox.

EI-ORD left the EI fleet earlier this year. (March/April)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

never heard anything furhter whether it was scrapped......

any pics of its final demise?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemul

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dercu

Only one way out of KGWO for an A330 and thats on the back of a truck. Runway to short for departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

dercu wrote: »
    Only one way out of KGWO for an A330 and thats on the back of a truck. Runway to short for departure.

LOL I don't think the runway is the problem in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dercu

Lol agreeded!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    LOL I don't think the runway is the problem in this case.

Maybe they are just getting the T/O weight down before departure , who needs engines and a cockpit anyways. :p

shanemul wrote: »

I thanked this for you posting it but it's a horrible sight to see.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Out with the old, in with the new!
    Some of the parts on that probably have a good bit of value left in them on the spares market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    Out with the old, in with the new!
    Some of the parts on that probably have a good bit of value left in them on the spares market.

Absolutely. As the photo shows all the doors, the engines and the cockpit have been removed. I would hazard a guess that the galleys and cabin have also been stripped. She still has her landing gear, it might be a bit worn after so many cycles in her time with EI. Maybe not a high value item currently.
    The will even remove the wiring if they can sell it on. Finally you will be left with a metal shell which will be cut up and melted down for coke cans (or similar lightweight metallic items.)

Spare parts is where the money is in aviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

The A330 and 340 gears have both a cycle and an hour limit, it's mad. But some of the major parts would still have a lot of life left in them to be used as spares.

Airbus are looking at extending the life of the A330/340 and if it comes to fruition, parts from scrapped aircraft like this would keep many other A330/340 flying longer.

Not to mention the coke cans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

seeing as there aren't many scrapped a330's yet parts make a lot of dollars!! and there is no freight conversion available either, it is a lot more economical to the owners to sell it for parts than to sell it on to brussel airlines or whoever

Advertisement