Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to beat the increasing fuel prices!!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Get the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Run it on veggie oil / pure alcohol.

Or buy a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

Agri diesel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Drive less, Drive efficiently and if you really must, drive a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The simplest is to eliminate or combine journeys where ever possible. Do shopping on way home from work. Get petrol when passing a petrol station, a special journey to buy cheaper petrol will probably burn more than the savings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No fat chicks. Cuts down on weight in the car. I find a helium baloon in the backseat also helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Take off roof racks, fit an under body tray (or make sure its in good shape), try to plan the route ahead by not braking and accelerating continuously.. if you brake you have to speed up again.

Limiting my revs to 3000rpm max and gentle acceleration brought my mpg from 19ish to 21 ish mpg. I went back to giving plenty of right foot again so 19mpg is the average again. I spend €60/€70 a week on petrol so 10% saving isn't to be sneezed at but still it's not a hugely significant difference. K&N panel filter made no difference, nor did new plugs just before the recommended interval (they're 50k mile jobbies).

A 2.0 diesel would save me over €30/week in fuel costs and almost €400/year in tax so I do see myself in a diesel MG ZS in a year or so. Although I have an inkling (project kicking off in one of my old haunts) I may be working closer to home within a year too (less than 2 miles away) so if that happens I might get the bus to and from work and get a 1.4 little petrol yoke as I don't do much driving really.

What does work
    - cut out all short spins of a few hundred yards (local shop, library, Mass etc).
    - get the bus into town if you are near a bus stop, eliminate parking charges too. Have only done this once in the last 10 years and there is a bus stop a hundred yards from home and town is only a mile and a half away.
    - car pooling (obviously)
    - servicing on time and before the car starts feeling like it's due a service

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tailgait very closely and reduce wind resistance*

* don't try this folks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I keep my engine running on 2 cylinders just disconnect the injectors, job done:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Siphon hose, crowbar and a three gallon container. Shop around for lower fuel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

RoverJames wrote: »
    Limiting my revs to 3000rpm max and gentle acceleration brought my mpg from 19ish to 21 ish mpg. I went back to giving plenty of right foot again so 19mpg is the average again. I spend €60/€70 a week on petrol so 10% saving isn't to be sneezed at but still it's not a hugely significant difference.

I would spend similar to you on fuel James but I enjoy driving too much to do the whole 'taxi driver quick gear change' thing. It costs me €10 / day to drive to and from work and I hit the loud whenever I want to and can. If I was to drive a little easier, saving me €6/€7 per week I would be better off driving a Micra and screwing the nuts outta it for 'emjoyment' - not gonna happen.

kbannon wrote: »
    Tailgait very closely and reduce wind resistance

And slingshot around just before you reach your exit! :p

I agree :)
    I only did it for a tankful, was awful really, there's a hill just before work that I enjoy booting up it in the overtaking lane, for the efficent week I used to hit the cruise control at 30mph and crawl up it, awful awful awful. I love the noise off the (archaic :pac:)V6 in the ZT when the revs rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Make sure your three are fully inflated and clear the cr@p from the boot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ditching the 18's is a good start for better economy, I hear waxing your car regularly can decrease wind resistance, also not running a full tank of fuel, replacing you air filter regularly.

Don't use cruise control on long hilly parts or roads, do use cruise control on flat roads, change up in gear asap, inflate your tires, reduce your speed to 90kph.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Ditching the 18's is a good start for better economy, I hear waxing your car regularly can decrease wind resistance, also not running a full tank of fuel, replacing you air filter regularly.

Don't use cruise control on long hilly parts or roads, do use cruise control on flat roads, change up in gear asap, inflate your tires, reduce your speed to 90kph.

You left out boring yourself to tears for the sake of a fiver!

yep, its awful, and its the hardest thing to do, but in the spirit of the thread title and I used to live by the 180kph rule..

Ditching the 18's is a good start for better economy,

f that, I like my 18s:pac:

I hear waxing your car regularly can decrease wind resistance,

I really doubt that would do much, better off skipping breakfast and having a large poo before getting in the car :pac:
    also not running a full tank of fuel,

makes sense, carrying around the weight of a jockey without need would have an effect on small engined yokes
    replacing you air filter regularly.

one of the most important things not to overlook when servicing

these together with the clean air filter could make 10% savings for some folk.

Good suggestions sir :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

get your fat ass on a treadmill

get the gf to drive her car so she has to pay for the fuel :D

And in best troll science mode: drive faster, the quicker you get there, the short period of time your engine is on, the less fuel it burns :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

I used to live by the 180kph rule..
    Would be grateful for an explanation of that rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

f that, I like my 18s:pac:

I really doubt that would do much, better off skipping breakfast and having a large poo before getting in the car :pac:

I LOL'd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭blackbox

Definitely don't do this after getting in the car!

garancafan wrote: »
    Would be grateful for an explanation of that rule.

I made it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

you do this to your honda civic and get 95 mpg

http://ecomodder.com/

BoatRebuild15.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I always think about trying to increase my mpg by keeping the revs low and lowering speed on motorway but it's just too damn annoying and fun not to rev the mx5. So rather saving a few mpg, i'd rather just forget about and enjoy driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

kbannon wrote: »
    Tailgait very closely and reduce wind resistance*

There's a special lane for that on the M50

Oh, I thought that it was all lanes except lane 1 (which very few drivers use)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Buy my car ;)

But seriously I use the throttle/coast/throttle/coast when I'm really trying to save, and it does make a huge difference to me. And with the Auto, I kick it into N every now and again on flats and downhills where I have momentum - it drops the throttle to idle, otherwise on the instantaneous mpg readout, it tells me I'm still using fuel even with my foot off the throttle.

Don't use aircon, don't use the radio up loud, all those sorts of things help, close the windows, check your pressures, have a mahoosive poo and pee before you leave. Burp a lot before you go. Wear thin socks, wear no shoes. In fact, go nekkid.

Advertisement