Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claustrophobia

Options
  • 04-03-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    I'm kinda new to boards, but with so many threads here, I dont know where to ask this question, so I start a fresh...

I regularly feel very claustrophobic, have done for many years, but I've always been able to deal with.
    Home is fine, but work is a big problem.
    Up until XMAS I used to just go out for a fag whenever I felt an attack looming, and it really helped, not the smoke, but just getting out....

Problem 1: I gave up the smokes on Jan 2nd, now if I go outside people think I'm just on the doss, and I dont want to get in trouble, for a while no one realised I gave up because I went out pretending to smoke !!

Problem 2: Anyway, now I am working in a small room, and its killing me, I have asked to work in an open plan office but I'm told there is no space available.
    I even asked for a bench in the cornor of the warehouse and they said no.
    I really afriad if I make an issue out of it they will fire me.
    I'm on contract work, so I have no rights, and if they let me go they can just we have no work for you.

Basically, kicking up about it is not possible, so I'm asking does anyone have any methods of dealing with this.

Any tips or idea to calm myself when I feel it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You if you've read this far,
    and apologies for any typos or bad grammer.

A. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have you actually told them explicitly that you are suffering panic attacks associated with your claustrophobia? You would want to be an ogre to not deal with the issue knowing you have this problem.

Good job giving up the coffin nails, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 giz_a_job

Hi -cantdecide-, Thanks for your reply.

I expressed my discomort with the small room and was told thats all they have, I asked for any open space, warehouse I thought was a good idea, but they just say no.
    And as I work on contract I know I'll be out if I kick up, under another pretense.

Its grand on days I can move around the building doing things, but if i'm doing desk/pc work Im stuck.
    I cant chnge this environment, so I'm desperate to find a work-around, or a way to deal with it.

I'm not just labouring the point but I think you may be beating about the bush over the issue with them.

Have you told them in no uncertain terms that although you don't want to rock the boat, your long term issues with claustrophobia are causing you a very real distress. I think this would the first thing to do.

As long as there are no unreasonable demands or threats, it shouldn't jeopardize your employment? Tell them your problem and ask they they make the proposal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

No offense (@Can't Decide), but thats incredibly naive. Employers are not carers or guardians of peoples health. They just want you to do a job with a minimum of hassle. The reality here is that the OP is in uncertain employment with no rights. He/She is facing the full rigours of the prejudice people with mental illness face in the workplace. Raising it will, I can practically guarantee, lead to future problems down the road (Such as a non renewal of contract)

OP, I have to say this because everyone else is only going to offer platitudes and beat round the bush. Don't tell your boss that you are claustrophobic. If you were in the civil service or some secure employment you might be ok, but this country has 14% unemployment and frankly, most empolyers don't give a damn about you, they just want you to do a job. Its tragic, but life is shít. You are going to have to find a solution to this problem yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 giz_a_job

Thank you Denerick,
    You clearly see my point and where I'm coming from.
    Yes work is very uncertain, and any hassle will result in non-renewal its a fact.
    You are are 100% correct when you say raising it will result in no contract !! :-(

I am trying to figure out ways of dealing with it, and just getting through the day.
    Regular movement helps, any excuse to get away from the desk and I'm gone.
    Its very distracting but again you are correct when you say I must find a way to deal with it myself.

Thank you, problem shared is halved, etc :-)

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    No offense (@Can't Decide), but thats incredibly naive. Employers are not carers or guardians of peoples health...The reality here is that the OP is in uncertain employment with no rights. He/She is facing the full rigours of the prejudice people with mental illness face in the workplace....OP, I have to say this because everyone else is only going to offer platitudes and beat round the bush. Don't tell your boss that you are claustrophobic. If you were in the civil service or some secure employment you might be ok, but this country has 14% unemployment and frankly, most empolyers don't give a damn about you, they just want you to do a job. Its tragic, but life is shít. You are going to have to find a solution to this problem yourself.

This is a cynical and hysterical comment, IMO. My family are employers and this is not the attitude that exists in the modern world. Employers have a duty of care to employees. You're not going to get fired because you need to sit near an open window.
    giz_a_job wrote: »
    ...You are are 100% correct when you say raising it will result in no contract...

I see no basis for you to say this. You can't speak for your employer. If your employment is on a knife-edge to that extent, you probably have much more to worry about than this issue alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

cantdecide wrote: »
    This is a cynical and hysterical comment, IMO. My family are employers and this is not the attitude that exists in the modern world. Employers have a duty of care to employees. You're not going to get fired because you need to sit near an open window.

I see no basis for you to say this. You can't speak for your employer. If your employment is on a knife-edge to that extent, you probably have much more to worry about than this issue alone.

No offence, but what are you smoking? Employers for the most part don't care about an individuals issues. This is a common perception for the most part. Can't do the job? The p45 is waiting in the post. This is the sad reality for any job outside of the civil service. I have witnessed it myself. You are being paid to do the job. Employers are not obliged do not give a damn. There are limits. Cross these limits, you are ****ed.

Naikon wrote: »
    ...There are limits. Cross these limits, you are ****ed...

OP is not asking to work from home, here. This isn't a Dickensian tragedy. 'Excuse me, I suffer from claustrophobia, can I sit over there instead' is not within a country mile of "the limits". It's not an ideal situation but it is nothing more than a perfectly reasonable request that causes the employer no effort or expense.

In fact, doing nothing about this issue falls into the category of preferring to curse the dark than light a penny candle, IMO.

I have nothing further to say on the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

cantdecide wrote: »
    OP is not asking to work from home, here. This isn't a Dickensian tragedy. 'Excuse me, I suffer from claustrophobia, can I sit over there instead' is not within a country mile of "the limits". It's not an ideal situation but it is nothing more than a perfectly reasonable request that causes the employer no effort or expense.

In fact, doing nothing about this issue falls into the category of preferring to curse the dark than light a penny candle, IMO.

I have nothing further to say on the issue.

No offence, but are you in college or are you in a position where you've never had to do proper work before? Most employers are like as I describe. They might be nice people but business is business, no point in fooling people about this.

Denerick wrote: »
    No offence, but are you in college or are you in a position where you've never had to do proper work before? Most employers are like as I describe. They might be nice people but business is business, no point in fooling people about this.

12 years in the private sector workforce. 5 different employers in different industries in large and small organizations. Direct and contract work. Manual labour and office based. So yes- rounded experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

If you want to discuss the in's and out's of cantdecide's CV, take it to PM.

Please keep replies on topic and helpful to the OP.

Be aware that off-topic and unhelpful posting can earn you a ban from this forum.

Many thanks.
    Ickle

Advertisement