Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Forests for Sale(?)

Options
  • 02-03-2011 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

There are rumours abound that our forests will go the way of the English and be sold off privately. I'm not sure how valid the claims are but the mere concept makes my blood boil.

I can't stand this disregard for native fauna and flora, even the fact this would be considered just proves to me the blatant stupidity of some people. For what would be such a small marginal gain.

I'd love to set up a charity where people could donate money to buy this land and set it up as a trust to safeguard it from ridiculous things like this. But that's a sidenote.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

IRcolm wrote: »
    There are rumours abound that our forests will go the way of the English and be sold off privately. I'm not sure how valid the claims are but the mere concept makes my blood boil.

I can't stand this disregard for native fauna and flora, even the fact this would be considered just proves to me the blatant stupidity of some people. For what would be such a small marginal gain.

I'd love to set up a charity where people could donate money to buy this land and set it up as a trust to safeguard it from ridiculous things like this. But that's a sidenote.

This has been a topic recently in other forums more information at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056122734
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146104

It would be a disgrace if they go ahead and sell the lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

IRcolm wrote: »
    There are rumours abound that our forests will go the way of the English and be sold off privately..

The plan in the UK has been halted thanx to public pressure - as for here, hopefully the Labour element in government will halt the more Thatcherite tendencies in FG!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Latest update from the Woodland League http://www.woodlandleague.org/documents/Save%20Ireland's%20Forests%20Campaign%20Update%20Feb21.pdf

Have to say their 'campaign' is not very focused or organised. I am finding it hard to believe the lack of media attention to this.
    It appears that there is a vote next week and the new government may try to say they have no choice.
    There has to be something more that can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

Start emailing your newly elected td's. Its a disgrace and who else would be involved in this sell off of our natural heritage only Bertie Ahern. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The internet is awash with rumours tonight that the sale has already gone through and that Bertie Aherne was answering question about it on Swiss TV - I hope for my own sanity this is not true:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Are there plans to sell the trees or the land as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The thread is now locked.
    From what I can gather this is just a rumour stemmed from a report. Until I see something more concrete I'm not jumping into the hysteria and thread will remain closed.

PM me with further evidence (ie. outside of Woodland League) and I'll consider reopening the discussion.
    In meantime I'll consult with Littlebug

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement