Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worried sick about cold sore

• 21-02-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm not looking for medical advice, just need to vent. I just feel so sick and scared right now. I'm a 24 year old female and just started getting cold sores in the last year. I was disappointed to get them as I know they are the herpes virus and this would cause me a lot of worry about spreading them to other people and to my own genitals. Well, earlier today I had a lot of irritation 'down there' and decided to check it out in the toilets at work. Looks like I have thrush, so I didn't think anything of it and decided to get some cream to put on tonight. Well I was just brushing my teeth and I realised I've a cold sore starting on my top lip.

So earlier today I touched my genitals after picking at my lip all day (nervous habit) and I'm petrified that I've spread it and given myself genital herpes. It really would be just my luck. We only have cold water at work and that useless perfumed soap so even I had washed my hands first (can't remember if I did), it probably wouldn't have helped. Funnily enough I was worried about touching down there as I know I get coldsores and I told myself not to be so paranoid and the day I do it is the day a cold sore pops up. Has anyone else been in this position before? I'm so nervous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Not exactly the same story as you (missing some of the equipment) but just to share a quick one with you.

My aunt had cold sores and when I was growing up, she was living with us and around age 3 I got them, on the left side of my face middle of my cheek. And pretty much once a year it would break out. I had a particularly bad case when I was 16 when I didn't treat it like I normally would and it spread into my eye, scarring my cornea and effectively blinding me in my left eye. I'm 24 now and my eyesight is better but still not 100%. And I know if I leave it untreated in future it could happen again.

What I think you should take from this is
    1) get it treated, see a doc
    2) It took until I was 16 for it to spread, thats 13 years of a kid having it and undoubtedly scratching at it and it didn't spread then
    3) Even if it has spread, its very treatable. alot more so than an eye :)

Best thing you should do now is go and book a doc's appointment and that way you'll get piece of mind and any medical advice you need.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

OP you are worrying way too much, almost to the point of OCD.

You more than absolutely likely have HSV-1 - the most common cause of oral cold sores. While it can be spread to the genitals, it is not easy to do from simply touching your fingers from one to the other. A HSV-1 infection in the genitals is also not as severe as the HSV-2 infection (the one more commonly association with genital infection). If you were to have HSV-1 in the genitalia, you would suffer far less often and far far less severe outbreaks down there.

It's practically a non-issue and certainly not worth the kind of worry you are associating with it. Outbreaks of any HSV infection decreases over time and recurrence and severity of outbreaks is often directly linked to your overall health and well being. Keep a good diet with exercise and you will even notice your oral inflammations decrease over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

RedXIV wrote: »
    Not exactly the same story as you (missing some of the equipment) but just to share a quick one with you.

My aunt had cold sores and when I was growing up, she was living with us and around age 3 I got them, on the left side of my face middle of my cheek. And pretty much once a year it would break out. I had a particularly bad case when I was 16 when I didn't treat it like I normally would and it spread into my eye, scarring my cornea and effectively blinding me in my left eye. I'm 24 now and my eyesight is better but still not 100%. And I know if I leave it untreated in future it could happen again.

What I think you should take from this is
    1) get it treated, see a doc
    2) It took until I was 16 for it to spread, thats 13 years of a kid having it and undoubtedly scratching at it and it didn't spread then
    3) Even if it has spread, its very treatable. alot more so than an eye :)

Best thing you should do now is go and book a doc's appointment and that way you'll get piece of mind and any medical advice you need.

Hope this helps

I don't understand what you mean by 'get it treated'? I've been getting these for 2 years and I'm using Zovirax, as I always do. The doctor wouldn't be able to do anything. Unless I've misunderstood, it's too late now if I've spread it to my eye or my genitals. Obviously once the sore is there, I'm very careful to wash my hands loads and not touch it and then touch somewhere else, but the issue is that this time, I didn't notice it all day, during which time I poked around at my vag, rubbed my eyes and plucked my eyebrows. These things are such a nuisance, I feel as if I have to constantly check in the mirror that I don't have a cold sore before I do anything, which of course is crazy.

Uriel. wrote: »
    OP you are worrying way too much, almost to the point of OCD.

You more than absolutely likely have HSV-1 - the most common cause of oral cold sores. While it can be spread to the genitals, it is not easy to do from simply touching your fingers from one to the other. A HSV-1 infection in the genitals is also not as severe as the HSV-2 infection (the one more commonly association with genital infection). If you were to have HSV-1 in the genitalia, you would suffer far less often and far far less severe outbreaks down there.

That's not the point though. I don't want to have any kind of HSV infection on my genitals, whether I get symptoms or not! It would mean having to tell every potential partner, most of whom would probably run straight out of the door.
    It's practically a non-issue and certainly not worth the kind of worry you are associating with it. Outbreaks of any HSV infection decreases over time and recurrence and severity of outbreaks is often directly linked to your overall health and well being. Keep a good diet with exercise and you will even notice your oral inflammations decrease over time.

I have several preexisting conditions, so it's impossible to stay that healthy really. I'm always sick and run down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I don't understand what you mean by 'get it treated'? I've been getting these for 2 years and I'm using Zovirax, as I always do. The doctor wouldn't be able to do anything. Unless I've misunderstood, it's too late now if I've spread it to my eye or my genitals. Obviously once the sore is there, I'm very careful to wash my hands loads and not touch it and then touch somewhere else, but the issue is that this time, I didn't notice it all day, during which time I poked around at my vag, rubbed my eyes and plucked my eyebrows. These things are such a nuisance, I feel as if I have to constantly check in the mirror that I don't have a cold sore before I do anything, which of course is crazy.

By get it treated I mean see a doc. I don't use Zovirax on mine any more, I just get a set of tablets to take for a week. They are stronger and more effective. Doctors are the way to go :D

Also, when you say you're always sick and run down, can this be targeted? obviously the healthier your body, the harder for coldsores to appear so is there anything you can do to counter this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

OP, tbh, if you got your first Oral Cold Sore a year ago, now is not the time to worry about spreading them to other body parts. After an initial (infection) outbreak - auto-inoculation does not really happen. Your immune system is able to prevent the spread of the virus elsewhere in your body. You are most at risk (particularly the eyes and fingers) of auto inoculation really only in the first circa 28 days. If it was gonna happen it really would have happened by now, it is completely not worth getting so worked up about.

For the most part, a HSV-1 infection in the genitals is a once off flare up.

For particularly nasty and often recurring infections (oral or genital) you can go on long-term medication to decrease the severity and recurrence rates of the flare ups.

I think this is dangerously edging towards medical advice though and if you continue to be concerned you should contact your GP. But If it was me, I really wouldn't be so concerned. Something like 80%+ of the population have HSV-1.

Well, I found your post reassuring but just now I've realised I have a tiny group of blisters just under my eyebrow. Yes, I plucked my eyebrows last night about 10 minutes before I realised I had the cold sore. Why oh why could I not have just seen it first, and obviously I would have left the eyebrows, or at least sanitised my hands first? I didn't think I could be this unlucky but it seems like I am. I can't believe it. I was rubbing my eyebrow and I felt a lump that felt exactly like a cold sore and it looks like one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2551299/how_to_prevent_cold_sores.html?cat=68
    How to Prevent Cold Sores

Jan 7, 2010 "Contribute content like this."

I break out with cold sores on my lips at least a few times a year. Everyone knows that once you get this type of a virus, it stays with you for life, so I have been looking for ways to help prevent this dreadful thing from happening. Cold sores are also known as oral herpes and are painful blisters filled with fluid that occur on the lip. I have tried a few things like lysine and that may have helped somewhat, but I have found something much better that works.

I have been taking flaxseed and fish oil pills for about eight months to raise my good cholesterol. My good cholesterol went up five points in three months. Then, suddenly the thought came to my mind that I have not had a cold sore breakout in months. Then I remembered that it may be due to these two supplements that I am taking. I really have not made any significant changes in my diet within the last few months or have done anything different in general.

I looked up some information to see if fish and flaxseed oil really help prevent cold sores. I found that flaxseed has something called lignans which can help prevent certain viruses such as cold sores, fungi and shingles. Flaxseed, along with the fish oil also contain omega 3 which is excellent in fighting certain types of viruses like cold sores. According to the website www.herbwisdom.com, "In addition, flaxseeds are a rich source of lignans, substances that appear to positively affect hormone-related problems. Lignans may also be useful in preventing certain cancers and combating specific bacteria, fungi, and viruses, including those that cause cold sores and shingles."

Fish oil mainly contains omega 3 properties which also helps support the skin, which would explain why it would help prevent cold sores.
    Take Eskimo 3 fish oils the oil not the capsule type and Linwoods Organic Flaxseed (Dunnes Stores has this). Eskimo 3 is expensive (€30 in Unicare but it'l last you 6 months, look at the use by dates) but it's as close to a pure source as you'll get in todays polluted world. Good if your run down aswell.

Ray D'arcy had a bit on the show not long ago about cold sores (you worry wayyyyyyy to much by the way) and a few people rang in about taking Fish oils, it's also an old wives tale.

Anyway it works, I've a close relation who use to get cold sores the whole time so I looked around and found the above for her, she hasn't got one in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I get a cold sore once maybe twice a year when I smoke..
    I find when I give them up I might get them for the first year but remain clear after that.
    I think it's the fact I've more energy and don't feel as tired as I normally would have done while smoking. The fact that I work one awkward Sunday every 3-4 months used to nearly always guarantee me a cold sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Well, I found your post reassuring but just now I've realised I have a tiny group of blisters just under my eyebrow. Yes, I plucked my eyebrows last night about 10 minutes before I realised I had the cold sore. Why oh why could I not have just seen it first, and obviously I would have left the eyebrows, or at least sanitised my hands first? I didn't think I could be this unlucky but it seems like I am. I can't believe it. I was rubbing my eyebrow and I felt a lump that felt exactly like a cold sore and it looks like one too.

Just be careful here, There's all kinds of blemishes/spots etc you can get on your face it might not be cold sore on your eyebrow.

Also I believe there is some evidence that many people who get facial cold sores have immunity for genital herpes.

Makes sense when you think about it - 90% of people get the virus which causes cold sores on your lips. Virtually everyone will touch their genitals at some stage without washing their hands.

Nowhere near 90% of people get genital cold sores.

Also it is worth seeing your doctor. Oral anti-virals are available if you get really persistant cold sores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 MissOphelia

http://www.advance-health.com/lysineherpes.html

There's good info here. I started taking Lysine for cold sores about 2 years ago having been plagued with them for years, and I have never had a one since:)

I had tried all the otc creams etc, been on prescribed medication and nothing worked except Lysine

I even remember putting perfume on them as a teenager..ouch!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I've realised I have a tiny group of blisters just under my eyebrow. I felt a lump that felt exactly like a cold sore and it looks like one too.

probably just from plucking your eyebrows - you really need to chill out.

i have been getting coldsores for 31 years, and it has never spread to my eyes or lady parts.

do you not think that once in those 31 year i must have touched my lip and my eye or other parts of my body?

i have managed to live with my boy for 3 years and managed not to pass it to him

you really need to relax and educate yourself about the coldsore virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

To put it simply, Upstairs Herpes and Downstairs Herpes are caused by two different strains if the virus - Its extremely unlikely that you have genital herpes! Also, you do not have herpes on your eyebrows - Once you have herpes, you have it for life - it hides in the trigeminal nerve in your face and periodically travels back down through the nerves to your lip causing a coldsore.....them your immune system regains control and it hides out again, waiting for another opportunity.......almost every single person on the planet has herpes virus, but not everyone shows symptoms. So try nt to stress about it too much ;)

Advertisement