Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Southern Railway Preservation Society (GSRPS)

Options
  • 16-07-2010 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

In response to various queries regarding the GSRPS I herewith give a very brief synopsis of the events concerning the society from inception through to the eventual wind-up. There will be no further comment from me.
    1980 – The East Cork Railway Supporters’ Association formed to preserve the Cobh Jn/Youghal line.
    1983 – The above was merged with ‘The Southern Steam Preservation Society’ to form the Great Southern Railway Preservation Society (GSRPS).
    When the RPSI got wind of this they made an eleventh hour offer to set up a Mullingar style depot at Mallow where we could work on carriages for their mainline operations. This nearly caused the planned establishment of the GSRPS to be cancelled until it was realized that it was purely a cynical attempt by the powers that be at Whitehead to continue their stranglehold on preservation in the Republic.
    The Southern Steam Preservation Society had for some time been considering the possible restoration of ex.GS&WT 0-6-0 No.90. (then plinthed at Mallow) but had had a survey carried out on it which dismissed the project on cost grounds. This turned out to be the first of many errors to beset the GSRPS.
    The next big mistake was made on the 17th November 1983 at a meeting with CIE in Heuston station when the committee accepted that they were not going to be allowed to proceed with the Youghal project, and accepted the remote Fenit branch instead without putting up a fight. In my heart I knew that the GSRPS fate was sealed then but soldiered on for another six years before giving up. Is there a preservation scheme in history that has had its main depot 60 miles from its working line?
    The third fatal mistake was the enforced choice of restoring ex.GNR 4-4-0 locomotive No.131 (then plinthed at Dundalk) but there wasn’t anything else once No.90 had been dismissed! The restoration of No.131 was hopelessly beyond the resources of the society and even in the unlikely event that it had succeeded it had too big an engine for the lightly laid Tralee/Fenit line. Anyway we soldiered on – recovered No.131 from Dundalk to Mallow, set about collecting a large quantity of diesel locos, carriages, wagons etc and gathered them together at Mallow and a sub-depot at Tralee.
    The rebuilding of the Tralee/Fenit line was undertaken using FAS labour – not a day’s work was put in on the actual line by volunteers such was its remotness – and that hardly boded well for the future. A large sum of money, probably in the region of €100,000+, was spent on the line mainly by way of labour but also in resleepering. Financial considerations led to the termination of work on the line in 1988 and it has been returning to nature ever since. FAS switched their attentions to the Tralee/Blennerville narrow gauge project which had been established through the GSRPS but gradually slipped away from our control.
    gsrps001.jpg
    CIE 1950's carriage after restoration at the GSRPS (Tralee depot)
    The 6th July 1985 represented the zenith of GSRPS achievements with the inclusion of two of our fully restored carriages operated on the Irish Railway Record Society (IRRS) “Seabreezes Express”from Cork to Youghal as part of the Cork 800 celebrations. Even this event was marred by senior Dublin officials in the IRRS trying to have our carriages excluded from the tour. After the tour it was all downhill, relations with the new management in CIE/IE reached an all time low in May 1989, when the bulk of best carriages were moved with no prior consultation for Mallow to Rathpeacon. Again we tipped off by an RPSI contact rather than anyone in CIE but it was too late to take any action. Despite our protests, and assurance from the then Chairman of CIE that they would be quite safe in their new home they were, within two weeks, beyond salvation.
    gsrps003.jpg
    Rathpeacon - a few miles north of Cork where much of the GSRPS rolling stock was scrapped.
    This removal of stock to Rathpeacon led to major recriminations within the working membership of the society and the project began to unravel. During late 1989/90 the assets of the GSRPS were divided between the Limited Company and the Society with the bulk of the stock at Rathpeacon going to the society. By September 1990 we had decided to scrap everything in Rathpeacon due its condition and use the proceeds to save what was left of the historic stock. This we commenced to do but it was soul destroying dangerous work and eventually we abandoned our interest in the stock. We had also asked CIE if they could move it to Cork where a scrapper could more easily gain access to it but they refused on safety grounds – a senior Irish Rail manager in Cork later confided to me that it cost them in excess of €20,000 to pay a scrapper to deal with it. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.
    gsrps004.jpg
    Top: Scrapping at Rathpeacon in 1990.
    Bottom: The demolition of Mallow Shed - home to the GSRPS 1983/89.

The Limited Company continued on for a year or two before being struck off by the Companies Office. Some of their portion of the rolling stock is now at the Half Way House Pub on the Cork/Bandon road. While much of the society’s stock has gone to good homes (Deutz 616 and 617) to the Irish Traction Group; the SLNCR railcar to Downpatrick (?); a Ruston to the Clonakilty Model Railway Village; several six wheelers and other vehicles ended up at Belturbet/Downpatrick and the Stationhouse Hotel in Clifden, and all that could be found of poor old ex.GNR loco No.131 .is now at Whitehead.
    Not much of a synopsis and not much of a legacy but at least we tried which is more than can be said about the hundreds of armchair enthusiasts across the country who wouldn’t even pay an annual sub.
    I will not engage with anyone on this thread as I am heartily sick of the whole affair but I would very much appreciate if those of you who think you know more than you do would mind your own business, leave my other threads alone and get on with your lives as I am still trying to achieve some good on Boards and elsewhere. Further more detailed information will eventually be available in my almost completed book but I have no publication date in mind as it is hardly going to be a money spinner.

I almost forgot and as some of you are bound to ask, I was a founder member of both the East Cork Society and the GSRPS, and Memberhsip Secretary,Secretary and, post 1989, Chairman of the latter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Fair play,i've heard of them before but never knew what the full story was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 orangetrain

What a sad tale, thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Who has those compartment coaches in the top photo now?

They look professionally finished, I use to go to school in them pre Dart. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Who has those compartment coaches in the top photo now?

They look professionally finished, I use to go to school in them pre Dart. :p
    they were moved to rathpeacon
    relations with the new management in CIE/IE reached an all time low in May 1989, when the bulk of best carriages were moved with no prior consultation for Mallow to Rathpeacon. Again we tipped off by an RPSI contact rather than anyone in CIE but it was too late to take any action. Despite our protests, and assurance from the then Chairman of CIE that they would be quite safe in their new home they were, within two weeks, beyond salvation.
    and eventually scrapped at great cost to the taxpayer!
    We had also asked CIE if they could move it to Cork where a scrapper could more easily gain access to it but they refused on safety grounds – a senior Irish Rail manager in Cork later confided to me that it cost them in excess of €20,000 to pay a scrapper to deal with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Every time I pass Mallow and the disappeared shed I wonder where did my boots end up ?

Needlegunning in 131 - therein lie the roots of my deafness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Is it true GSRPS still owed CIE money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

cmore123 wrote: »
    Is it true GSRPS still owed CIE money?

For what exactly?

I remember 16,000 pounds being sought in 1986 (?) for the crude slinging realigning of the track across the North Kerry Yard in Tralee. We laughed at that since it had never been agreed and was done by CIE so that they could flog the rest of the yard to Dunnes Stores. Why should we have paid for that given that the line was still CIE property. Anyway if you take the thousands of pounds spent on buying rolling stock from CIE , only to have them tow it away to Rathpeacon with no consultation and see it scrapped - I think I know who owes who money and a BLOODY BIG APOLOGY! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Interesting, Judgement Day, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

The railway preservation society was offered the limerick kerry line but declined the invite as their response was it was of no interest to them..
    its now the southerntrail
    see [url]www.southerntrail.net:pac:[/url].................

trail man wrote: »
    The railway preservation society was offered the limerick kerry line but declined the invite as their response was it was of no interest to them..
    its now the southerntrail
    see [url]www.southerntrail.net:pac:[/url].................

Well, this is true but what exactly would a small society (500+) of mainly Dublin/Cork based volunteers have done with a 50 mile line in the middle of nowhere? Incidentally, at the time of the offer the GSRPS were already involved in the Fenit branch. It was just an idea tossed into the mix by a senior CIE official to further muddy the water. Quite a few items from the North Kerry can be seen at the scrapyard railway in Dromod - including one of the large gantry signals from Newcastle West. In a moment of madness I bought the turntable from Newcastle West and moved it to Cahir but it has since gone to the great train set in the sky. I also bought the signal cabin in Abbeydorney but later found that the owner of the station thought it belonged to him - it's still there as far as I know.
    If that's you Liam you should know better than to set me off. Your link doesn't work. :p

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply..
    actually its liams side kick here, he trained me well....Denis mc auliffe

its
    www.southerntrail.net
    p.s for the record where in ireland have ye guys a railway preserved
    would love to know..

trail man wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply..
    actually its liams side kick here, he trained me well....Denis mc auliffe

its
    www.southerntrail.net
    p.s for the record where in ireland have ye guys a railway preserved
    would love to know..

The nearest thing to a 'preserved' on the island. http://www.downrail.co.uk/

Thanks its an interesting site..

regards
    Denis..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Thats a sad tale and a shame, as a mallow man its something id have been involved in for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Railway preservation - uk style, was never going to work here.

The public think it would be 'lovely' to have their old branch line back, but they aren't going to lift a hand to help. They simply aren't interested enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Railway preservation - uk style, was never going to work here.

The public think it would be 'lovely' to have their old branch line back, but they aren't going to lift a hand to help. They simply aren't interested enough.

Downpatrick is as good as it’s going to get for the foreseeable future. Not enough interest in industrial heritage in the Republic because it can’t be monetised on a short term, quick buck basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Downpatrick is as good as it’s going to get for the foreseeable future. Not enough interest in industrial heritage in the Republic because it can’t be monetised on a short term, quick buck basis.

I know the lads from Downpatrick eye this fora up the odd time. They know all too well the many claims of former JD makes in these old posts from way back when. In spite of the begrudged absent experts, Dpk is an excellent product that surpasses others elsewhere and is a must see for anybody with any interest in trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Apart from two successes (Downpatrick/Whitehead RPSI base) N.I. hasn't much to crow about either. Discounting Cultra as it's all static exhibits.

Shane's Castle (gone)
    Foyle Valley (closed due to some dispute, a running theme in Irish preservation)
    Giant's Causeway (biscuit tin on wheels)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I know the lads from Downpatrick eye this fora up the odd time. They know all too well the many claims of former JD makes in these old posts from way back when. In spite of the begrudged absent experts, Dpk is an excellent product that surpasses others elsewhere and is a must see for anybody with any interest in trains.

Poor old JD - what are these claims that he made about Downpatrick? As far as I know he was only there once in the early 1980s and has no plans to pay another visit despite regular holidaying nearby. They still owe him for a six-wheel underframe from Carlow Bfs but like so much else that's long forgotten about - or so he tells me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Poor old JD - what are these claims that he made about Downpatrick?

Anything to do with a certain FB page who seem rather hilarious in their begrudgery?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Downpatrick is amazing, to have succeeded where all else have failed,5'3" wise....(and RPSI/DTG excepted)

There isn't enough surviving in the Republic to emulate it now, even of you could find volunteers.

Oh well, I'm on the ferry again next week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

BeardySi wrote: »
    Anything to do with a certain FB page who seem rather hilarious in their begrudgery?...

Nope - JD says he doesn't partake in blood sports on Facebook. Any link for that page as it sounds interesting?

And just to prove it here's a video that would 'almost' cause me to pay a visit to Downpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Poor old JD - what are these claims that he made about Downpatrick? As far as I know he was only there once in the early 1980s and has no plans to pay another visit despite regular holidaying nearby. They still owe him for a six-wheel underframe from Carlow Bfs but like so much else that's long forgotten about - or so he tells me. ;)

Nothing inferred her at all about him. What he was spot on on was about the non paying rivet counting gricer type who know everything except about how to pay for a ticket or membership :)

Advertisement