Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony PSP 1000 Replacement Shell

Options
  • 22-02-2011 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't quite sure whether to put this in the A&R repair thread or here, but seeing as it's not a repair I though in here would be more suited.

I found the kits listed on Rewind Bits, & thought they were worth looking at. My sons PSP has been through the wars, with a badly marked screen cover, impact damage, dodgey analogue stick etc. So I thought for £12.99 these are a fantatsic way of bringing the PSP back to life.

They come with all the bits you need, buttons, new analogue stick & cap etc. I won't say they're easy to fit, but certainly not difficult either if you have patience. You just take it one step at a time & keep track of everything your doing. The kits themselves are very good quality, there was a very minimal amount of shaving needed in one or two parts, & all in all I'm chuffed with the results, so I think I'll do the same for my second PSP.

I gave the little fella the choice of colours, he picked silver (thank god!)

2s7ytra.jpg

Just one example of the marked screen cover, the rest won't show up properly in a photo but it's a tired looking thing to say the least.

34ht5a8.jpg

Faceplate removed from the existing shell.

21eatd1.jpg

New analogue stick fitted to the new faceplate. The buttons has been placed in here also.

vfz707.jpg

The homebar & screen removed from the existing shell.

izrt5j.jpg

Just have to get all this out now lol

b47ndx.jpg

Motherboard removed. Look how small it is compared to a PSP battery, the wonders of double sided pcb's I guess.

6dyaz5.jpg

Me keeping track of what I'm doing...

35211kl.jpg

Ok from here on out, it's reassembly in the new shell. Here's the UMD drive mounted into the back panel.

4ptrfa.jpg

Card reader installed, & wireless antenna being routed

i6e9ag.jpg

All the ancillaries installed, & finally the screen clipped into place.

282jr7q.jpg

Moment of truth....lovely stuff!

sxc749.jpg

2yl8jtj.jpg

You also get all new stickers, as some of screws are under them & require tearing of the old stickers. I'll leave it a few days before fitting these, incase I've to make any adjustments inside.

33lfhu8.jpg

Finito

2qc90.jpg

So there you go, a brand new suit for your PSP for £12.99, the installation instructions are also in the link above to Rewind Bits. Oh & if your ordering, don't forget our boards 10% discount code (pm me for it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Nice, I remember playing around with replacement cases in the past and they never fit 100%. How did this replacement case fair? Everything as snug as the original OEM case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Nice, I remember playing around with replacement cases in the past and they never fit 100%. How did this replacement case fair? Everything as snug as the original OEM case?

There were about 2 sprues left over from the moulding of it, which snipped off no prob. I also had to finely file the headphone out are of the backplate, & snipped out a tiny section that covers the gears in the UMD drive (this step is detailed in the tutorial on the linked purchase page above). All in all nothing by any means difficult. It fits perfectly, exactly the same as the original.

But I can't stress how important it is to take note of how everything is routed & layed down. If you run a wire the wrong way & something won't fit right, you'll end up getting a poor fit & having to take it apart to fix the error (as I had to do two or three times nearly). But with patience, it fits 100% :)

Advertisement