Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine in Hungary

Options
  • 18-01-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Dear All, Could you tell me what are the drawbacks to consider if studied medicine in Hungary. Aim would be to become a GP. Any advice? If anybody is already there studying I would love to find out about their experience or experience of another Eastern European University for medicine

Thanks
    E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Emiedoo wrote: »
    Dear All, Could you tell me what are the drawbacks to consider if studied medicine in Hungary. Aim would be to become a GP. Any advice? If anybody is already there studying I would love to find out about their experience or experience of another Eastern European University for medicine

Thanks
    E

Drawback is where do you wnat to be after you qualify-- difficult to get employment back here until you have a track record

1st year out of college in ireland is Intern a supervised job based on qualification here

1st year out of Hungary I believe you are fully registered so no eligible to apply for these jobs in ireland, you must then apply for SHO job ie a 2nd year position without having any work experience or working references-- that is difficult but not impossible I have worked with a number of such Irish grads in last 2 years who qualified in hungary and Czech republic

there is a vet near Cork who organises interviews etc, i think he got into it to help his kids get in and decided to help more people after he found a successful application pathway

At teh end of the day getting the qualification is the most important part, after that if you work hard you will make it just may take a little longer so if the pathway to Hungary is open for you i would not hesitate

Couldnt afford it myself at the time, flights/accommodation etc but may well be a lot cheaper now that doing a degree and hoping for grad entry to medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Emiedoo

Thanks very much for your reply. I appreciate it. I guess you think that if the option is available I should grap it with both hands...Do you know any graduates I could talk to.

Thanks,

Thanks very much for your reply. I appreciate it. I guess you think that if the option is available I should grap it with both hands...Do you know any graduates I could talk to.

Thanks,

sorry for delay getting back to you But yes if you have the option you should explore it

Ifa definite place offered in advance take it, its a lot better than doing a degree you dont want to then HOPING to get grad entry with no guarantees

If you go there you need to expect to spend every holiday here working in some capacity in hospital life to get some contacts in system to get yourself back here

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

Hi

From Medical Council and HSE:

As drz said graduates from the following countries are not allowed apply for internships as they are considered to have fulfilled the requirements for full registration during their degree:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Spain, France, Cyprus, Iceland, Latvia, Hungary, Netherlands, Romania, Slovenia, Switzerland and the Slovak Republic.

Graduates from the following are eligible:

Ireland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, United Kingdom, Norway.

If you do decide to go to Hungary, you will need to make sure you have enough clinical experience before you graduate to begin as an SHO. Have you spoken to any current students or recent grads?

Best of luck wherever you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Thanks
    E

Hi there,
    I looked into this option extensively last year.If u have any questions just ask.
    Also,u will definitely get a job in the UK after graduating from these unis though not ireland.Also,u will prob never be able to get into a surgical specialty but gp ,anaesthetics is doable but will take longer.I know a few f these grads working in the UK and they all tell me that getting foundation training in the UK is not hard but it will be a battle from there,but doable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ave21

Hey guys,

Im currently a final year medical student in hungary, i am an irish citizen and am trying to get back to ireland/uk for internship/FY1

Im having a little bit of difficulty in this respect. As you have probably seen Hungary is listed as not being eligible to complete internship/FY1 due to the fact we complete a 1 year elective placement in our final year!!

However with my understand we must complete a 3 month surgical rotation in order to be eligible for this, however in hungary this is not the case, only a 2 month surgical practice is completed... if i receive comfirmation from the Dean of medicine regarding same, can it be possible to apply to internship/FY1 then??

Briankirby mentioned you know people who have been able to apply for FY1... do you have anymore information on this? Do you know anyone whom i could speak with? It is currently becoming very stressful at the prospect of having to become SHO/FY2 as it is without doubt too demanding.

Would love to hear from anyone with any advice.!

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ave21

To anyone who has read my previous msg...

with regards to training in uk.... if you are studying in an EEA country stated by the GMC (hungary, czech etc) you are not eligible to apply for FY1 under EC legislation, even if you do not meet the criteria stated on their website, as in my situation...!!

My new question for anyone out there... how do i apply for an FY1 post on a full registration? is there anyone who has been through this process? I understand it is possible however difficult to obtain!

Also in the case that i must apply for FY2 what are the differences between both FY1 & FY2 jobs in terms of responsibilities?

And still wondering from briankirby how his friends managed? and what they have to say about it :)

thanks

ave21 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im currently a final year medical student in hungary, i am an irish citizen and am trying to get back to ireland/uk for internship/FY1

Im having a little bit of difficulty in this respect. As you have probably seen Hungary is listed as not being eligible to complete internship/FY1 due to the fact we complete a 1 year elective placement in our final year!!

However with my understand we must complete a 3 month surgical rotation in order to be eligible for this, however in hungary this is not the case, only a 2 month surgical practice is completed... if i receive comfirmation from the Dean of medicine regarding same, can it be possible to apply to internship/FY1 then??

Briankirby mentioned you know people who have been able to apply for FY1... do you have anymore information on this? Do you know anyone whom i could speak with? It is currently becoming very stressful at the prospect of having to become SHO/FY2 as it is without doubt too demanding.

Have spoken here before about this

not eligible to apply for internship, have to apply for SHO job in ireland

we currently have such a doctor, not doing on call rota yet, just shadowing until seniors are confident they can manage on call

In this market doubt you will have difficulty getting job in Ireland but would advise doing some practical skills courses first ACLS/ATLS?surgical Skills etc

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Hi ave21,im not sure,maybe the rules have changed recently but up until themn i know for a fact that a lot of czech grads went straight into fy1 in the uk.
    I will ask again and see if i was wrong or if it has changed
    ave21 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Advertisement