Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Mortgage Negative equity query.

Options
  • 26-01-2011 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

Ok, before I start, I really don't need the crystal ballers with their 'its your fault bladdy blah' heartless nonsense type posting. I am seeking advice from non-judgemental folk either in the know or with experience with such things. Anyway....

Have a 100% mortgage. House bought for €300,000 (It was actually 'worth' €345,000, when we bought it, but a friend sold it to us at a discount) House now down in value by over €140,000.

Soooo. Thankfully, we don't want to move and we can still afford the mortgage for the moment. However, our 5 year fixed term with PTSB is up in May, and even though the ECB rate is lower than it was when we took out the mortgage, it seems that the customer rates are climbing and climbing. The banks now know, that people like us are trapped. They have no competition, and they can squeeze us hard! With the increase taxes, and our new baby arriving 6 months ago, an increase in our mortgage is gonna hurt!! How much, time will tell.

Have we any options other than letting PTSB lube us up? Since all this Banking malpractice and subsequent bailouts etc, is there any obligation on the banks in such circumstance to be moral etc and not profiteer?(Yes they are in business to make a profit, but I mean greedy profiteering like they seem to be doing) From my understanding, they can pretty much do wtf they like, and we just gotta take it. This is a very very very bitter pill, and any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Wait and see what rates they offer... then try and negotiate. Little else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

3DataModem wrote: »
    Wait and see what rates they offer... then try and negotiate. Little else you can do.

Is it something they negotiate with? Also, would you have any idea on how I should negotiate i.e. things that would get them to give me a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

When i signed my mortgage we were told what rate we would be put onto after the fixed term, a tracker, yay for me!

Since you took out the mortgage 5 years ago you may also get moved onto a tracker, it will depend what is in your documents, but it could be well worth finding them and reading back throught them to find out if they state what type of rate you will go onto after the fixed term is over.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

As previous post, you may well revert to a tracker mortgage at the end of the fixed term as this was the most common mortgage sold be TSB back in 05 so you would need to check your paperwork. If you dont have it ask your solicitor for a copy. You have no chance of negotiating the new rate as they will not entertain you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Op very sitation with negative equity. Check your mortgage agreement and you may be lucky to be on a tracker. Hopefully you are.

The banks are being kept alive as one going bust could be bad for the economy at this point.

You want to live there so thats good. You bought at better than market value as you say so nothing you could do. Unfortunately its the way things have gone.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately not on Tracker (Checked the documents). All they'll do is either 4.65 Variable or 5.25 fixed for 2 years:(:mad: The lady on the phone said that the fixed was the best bet:confused:

I really can't see how this carry on can be justified. Surely our government needs (or needed to when negotiating the bailout) to do something to stop these banks taking the piss out of those who not only are deep in the negative equity trap, but also trapped with the lender! The government are taxing us harder(and will continue to do so) and the banks are upping the rates substantially. Its really not on. All of this while the ECB base rate is actually lower now than when we got our mortgage. This is not about getting bailed out or a NAMA for the little guy, but FFS, do something to protect us from this profiteering! Its hard enough at the moment. Silly me, when I took out the mortgage I thought the worst that could happen is that you loose your home (Its plastered all over the forms and statements afterall). I never thought that you'd remain in debt to the bank for the negative equity shortfall. Not that I expect to lose work (you never know though), but it does add the anxiety about if the worst DOES happen.

Anyway, thanks again for your input guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

JimiTime wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately not on Tracker (Checked the documents). All they'll do is either 4.65 Variable or 5.25 fixed for 2 years:(:mad: The lady on the phone said that the fixed was the best bet:confused:

I really can't see how this carry on can be justified. Surely our government needs (or needed to when negotiating the bailout) to do something to stop these banks taking the piss out of those who not only are deep in the negative equity trap, but also trapped with the lender! The government are taxing us harder(and will continue to do so) and the banks are upping the rates substantially. Its really not on. All of this while the ECB base rate is actually lower now than when we got our mortgage. This is not about getting bailed out or a NAMA for the little guy, but FFS, do something to protect us from this profiteering! Its hard enough at the moment. Silly me, when I took out the mortgage I thought the worst that could happen is that you loose your home (Its plastered all over the forms and statements afterall). I never thought that you'd remain in debt to the bank for the negative equity shortfall. Not that I expect to lose work (you never know though), but it does add the anxiety about if the worst DOES happen.

Anyway, thanks again for your input guys.

Ah sick of this NAMA thing being made to be great. The banks lose out up to 70% of the loan value and the developers are getting their asses handed to them at the moment.

I would hate a NAMA style thing for everyone. It would basically be a debt collection agency buying all our personal debt for feck all and chasing the crap out of it as that is basically NAMA except with property and businesses involved.

Also when getting the mortgage it is clear that you can owe the money to the bank if bank takes back home and in neg equity, or at least your solicitor should have outlined this. Its fairly common knowledge unforturnately.

I agree the rates increases are not good but its happening everywhere. The ECB rate will see rises by end of year and for a number of years ahead its expected to rise.

Fix the rate but try get a longer deal. 2 years aint great. Try see what the 3-5 year fixed is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭barnaclebill

Try to negotiate with them about. These companies aren't renonwned for being compassionate but it's worth a try.

chris85 wrote: »
    Ah sick of this NAMA thing being made to be great. The banks lose out up to 70% of the loan value and the developers are getting their asses handed to them at the moment.

I would hate a NAMA style thing for everyone. It would basically be a debt collection agency buying all our personal debt for feck all and chasing the crap out of it as that is basically NAMA except with property and businesses involved.

As I said, I'm not interested in NAMA or indeed a bailout. Just a fair deal under these, using the oft used term used by our politicians in these times, unprecendented events.
    Also when getting the mortgage it is clear that you can owe the money to the bank if bank takes back home and in neg equity, or at least your solicitor should have outlined this. Its fairly common knowledge unforturnately.

Not to me or my wife, or indeed many people I've talked to unfortunately. Maybe to those into economics etc. I find alot who are interested in the subject matter know about these things, but think its more common knowledge than it actually is. Let the buyer beware I suppose.
    Its neither here nor there anyway, whats done is done. My concern is with the banks taking the piss now that they have no competition to worry about with its trapped customers.
    I agree the rates increases are not good but its happening everywhere. The ECB rate will see rises by end of year and for a number of years ahead its expected to rise.

they haven't risen yet though, and its a very worrying precedent being set by the banks. The ECB rate is now at 1%. I am being offered a rate more than 4 times above it.
    Fix the rate but try get a longer deal. 2 years aint great. Try see what the 3-5 year fixed is.

When the time comes I will be negotiating. I fret however for others like me who must put up with this greed. Just looking for a bit of ethical fairness. We've had enough measures rolled out under the guise of 'Unprecedented economic events'. Well how about adding something else under this banner. Except this time, something that helps relieve the fiscal stress on the average Joe. As I said, it needn't be a bail out, but rather a regulation which stops banks abusing its trapped customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

As I said, I'm not interested in NAMA or indeed a bailout. Just a fair deal under these, using the oft used term used by our politicians in these times, unprecendented events.
    Yes, it is unfortunate that you have suffered because of the recession, but so too have many people.

Not to me or my wife, or indeed many people I've talked to unfortunately. Maybe to those into economics etc. I find alot who are interested in the subject matter know about these things, but think its more common knowledge than it actually is. Let the buyer beware I suppose.
    Its neither here nor there anyway, whats done is done. My concern is with the banks taking the piss now that they have no competition to worry about with its trapped customers.
    It's got nothing to do with being "into economics". You entered into what I assume to be, by far, the largest financial investment in your life and you didn't try to understand, at least, the basics? The entire purpose of paying for a solicitor is to have them explain everything to you and answer any questions.

they haven't risen yet though, and its a very worrying precedent being set by the banks. The ECB rate is now at 1%. I am being offered a rate more than 4 times above it.
    But the ECB rate, unfortunately, has noting to do with how much the banks are paying for the money they lent to you. Even at 5%, it is likely they are still making a loss on your loan.

When the time comes I will be negotiating. I fret however for others like me who must put up with this greed. Just looking for a bit of ethical fairness. We've had enough measures rolled out under the guise of 'Unprecedented economic events'. Well how about adding something else under this banner. Except this time, something that helps relieve the fiscal stress on the average Joe. As I said, it needn't be a bail out, but rather a regulation which stops banks abusing its trapped customer.
    Again, you accuse "the banks" of "abusing" you. You admit you didn't know the basics at the time of getting a mortgage. I would implore you to at least make up for lost time and find out now. The bank "bailouts" are not charitable donations from the government or "bailouts for their buddies". The cost of funding for the banks has increased dramatically over the past few years and the money lent by the government/ICB has to be repaid, with a very high rate of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

dotsman wrote: »
    I would implore you to at least make up for lost time and find out now.

I fully agree with dotsman on this, there is nothing you can do about the past, but you can take steps to ensure that you manage your financial affairs better by educating yourself and I'd go one step further and suggest that you educate your kids too, as it is one thing the education system falls down on big time!

In this respect I've already started to talk to my 12 year old son about money: how to budget his pocket money, saving and so on. As incentive to save, I've promised to double the balancing on his savings account at the end of the year, but only for pocket money savings and not gifts ;)

Good luck,

Jim

Yes, it is unfortunate that you have suffered because of the recession, but so too have many people.

:rolleyes: I hate this type of post. It implies that I don't consider the above. Believe me, I realise there are many, many people affected, and affected alot more than me. However, I'm specifying an issue relating to my circumstance here, so I should not have to put caveats in that I realise others are suffering etc. Its also easy to say something like, 'You're sufering because of the recession', as if that makes one go 'oh right, its the recession. fair enough so.'
    It's got nothing to do with being "into economics". You entered into what I assume to be, by far, the largest financial investment in your life and you didn't try to understand, at least, the basics?

I certainly accept my mistakes, and will learn by it, but that does not remove anything from the point. It seems that there are alot of people foaming at the mouth to point out such things. 'Its your fault' etc. There is not a day that goes by that I don't hate the fact that I did not know what I should have. What can I say, I thought I knew.
    The entire purpose of paying for a solicitor is to have them explain everything to you and answer any questions.

No its not. The solicitor is paid because the system insists on it. Now, people should use them for more than this (Hindsight is great isn't it), but no-one I know had much contact with their solicitor from a consultancy perspective in these things. They used them because they were told, 'These guys do all the official stuff'. Again, you live and learn.
    But the ECB rate, unfortunately, has noting to do with how much the banks are paying for the money they lent to you. Even at 5%, it is likely they are still making a loss on your loan.

Again, you accuse "the banks" of "abusing" you.

Because they are. A new customer gets a lower rate. Bank of Ireland new customers get 3% rates etc. Yet, they know that we are trapped, so they take the piss. No competition.
    You admit you didn't know the basics at the time of getting a mortgage.
    I knew a certain amount, but unfortunately not a very important part. I knew about things like 'Jingle mail', which had me assume that this was how it worked. I did not realise it was not a general thing. It sounds reasonable, so because I thought I knew, I didn't think I needed to ask. Its a bit like finding your keys, then continuing to look for them. If you already found them, you don't keep looking.
    I would implore you to at least make up for lost time and find out now.

I have absolutely no interest in the finance sector, like most people I would think. Anything that relates to me and my family though, I'll certainly be leaving no stone unturned going forward.

Again though, I don't need advice such as yours, or indeed your opinions on how its my fault etc. I have made my mistakes, I accept them. However, there was a very shady system at play, and some serious malpractice. I am not looking back though, but rather looking forward and saying that there should be some ethics relating to Joe public. Not bailouts etc, but a bit of slack to be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭elchanco

I’m in the same boat jimi..

I decided to fix for 5years at 5.75% with PTSB.. high rate but I cant wake up every day worrying if the ecb or the bank raise there svr...

Hopefully Il have a job for the next 5years & able to pay the mortgage... we'l see than what situation we are in!

What you expect from a bank that is advertised by yer man from the sopranos... F^cking Gangsters...
    Don’t waste your time negotiating.... your just another number!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Because they are. A new customer gets a lower rate. Bank of Ireland new customers get 3% rates etc. Yet, they know that we are trapped, so they take the piss. No competition.

You benefitted from that new customer rate when you signed up.

elchanco wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat jimi..

I decided to fix for 5years at 5.75% with PTSB.. high rate but I cant wake up every day worrying if the ecb or the bank raise there svr...

Hopefully Il have a job for the next 5years & able to pay the mortgage... we'l see than what situation we are in!

What you expect from a bank that is advertised by yer man from the sopranos... F^cking Gangsters...
    Don’t waste your time negotiating.... your just another number!

Thats my concern. They know people like me hold absolutely none of the cards. They can pretty much do what they want. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

:rolleyes: I hate this type of post. It implies that I don't consider the above. Believe me, I realise there are many, many people affected, and affected alot more than me. However, I'm specifying an issue relating to my circumstance here, so I should not have to put caveats in that I realise others are suffering etc. Its also easy to say something like, 'You're sufering because of the recession', as if that makes one go 'oh right, its the recession. fair enough so.'
    I merely meant that many people, myself included, are in a similar boat as you. However, those of us who are aware of what happened in this country and within the banking sector are not going around accusing the banks of abusing us or believing there is some conspiracy against us.

No its not. The solicitor is paid because the system insists on it. Now, people should use them for more than this (Hindsight is great isn't it), but no-one I know had much contact with their solicitor from a consultancy perspective in these things. They used them because they were told, 'These guys do all the official stuff'. Again, you live and learn.
    But the reason the system (ie law) insists on it is so you have someone to explain what's happening to you. I don't know about the people you know, but from my personal experience, despite being very familiar with both contracts and lending laws & concepts, I went through my contracts with my solicitor line by line and questioned her on everything. After all, if I'm paying someone a large sum o money, I'm going to make use of them.

It's the same with most businesses, customers are enticed with special offers etc. As an "existing customer" of AIB, I have half my mortgage on a tracker @ 1.75% and the other half fixed @ 3.25%. In short, they are losing a lot of money on me. If you want to use the term "abuse", then it is I who is abusing them.

I knew a certain amount, but unfortunately not a very important part. I knew about things like 'Jingle mail', which had me assume that this was how it worked. I did not realise it was not a general thing. It sounds reasonable, so because I thought I knew, I didn't think I needed to ask. Its a bit like finding your keys, then continuing to look for them. If you already found them, you don't keep looking.
    How did you think that "jingle mail" was a concept here? How did were you even familiar with the concept of "jingle mail", but not familiar with the concept that if you borrow money, you have to repay it in full? "Jingle mail" never has been, nor never likely to be. How does it sound reasonable?

I have absolutely no interest in the finance sector, like most people I would think. Anything that relates to me and my family though, I'll certainly be leaving no stone unturned going forward.
    And therein lies the problem. You don't want to know what's going on, but happy to falsely believe you are being "abused"?

And yo uare right, there are a lot of people like you. That is why, 4 years after the first signs of trouble appeared, there is a large percentage of people who refuse to try to understand what happened in this country, but willing to blame it all on the banks/fianna fail/developers etc. And why, 4 years on, we have yet to actually fix the problems. 4 years ago, many other western countries were in far bigger trouble than us. But by taking the necessary actions, they are now in a much better position than us.
    Again though, I don't need advice such as yours, or indeed your opinions on how its my fault etc. I have made my mistakes, I accept them. However, there was a very shady system at play, and some serious malpractice. I am not looking back though, but rather looking forward and saying that there should be some ethics relating to Joe public. Not bailouts etc, but a bit of slack to be shown.
    Why post here if you don't want my advice? Were you hoping that loads of people would just post here agreeing with you that you are being "abused" and that we should "punish the banks" (because that's rally helped our economy so far). You admit you know nothing about the financial sector, nor do you want to, happy to believe that there is some bogeyman out there responsible for problems.

Dont work for PTSB although I am a customer of theirs for the very simple reason that they did not get a government bailout so cant understand why there seems to be a lot anger towards them, As dotsman pointed out banks are losing money on their mortgage books. Why... Well for thoes on a variable rate and fixed rates over 3.5% they are covering the losses that are on tracker mortgages and thosethat have fell behind on their mortgage repayments through no fault of their own. Perhaps we should direct our anger to our government who will not come up with a viable solution for debt forgiveness and bring in fair personal bankrupsy legislation like they have accross the water it crasy to think that a person has to wait for 12 years before they can start again.

I merely meant that many people, myself included, are in a similar boat as you. However, those of us who are aware of what happened in this country and within the banking sector are not going around accusing the banks of abusing us or believing there is some conspiracy against us.

Never mentioned conspiracy. I mentioned an abuse of a commercial position from an institution that could have gone to the wall but for the taxpayer, and my frustration at the fact that our government did not or has not put in place some ethical solution for those of us that have fallen victim to gross negligence, malpractice and yes, our personal bad decisions. No point in straw manning me.
    But the reason the system (ie law) insists on it is so you have someone to explain what's happening to you. I don't know about the people you know, but from my personal experience, despite being very familiar with both contracts and lending laws & concepts, I went through my contracts with my solicitor line by line and questioned her on everything. After all, if I'm paying someone a large sum o money, I'm going to make use of them.

Bully for you but thats why I asked a specific question at the start of this thread and tried to deter people like you Captain Hindsighting the thread:

It's the same with most businesses, customers are enticed with special offers etc. As an "existing customer" of AIB, I have half my mortgage on a tracker @ 1.75% and the other half fixed @ 3.25%. In short, they are losing a lot of money on me. If you want to use the term "abuse", then it is I who is abusing them.

The 'abuse' I refer to, is that in these 'unprecedented economical times' as our politicians etc like to say, being cold and legalistic is just not good enough. If you wish to be, then so be it. There are many like you, and I don't really want to hear it as I have the power of hindsight myself already.

I'm looking forward now, and would like to see something done to protect people like myself from being completely screwed. If you couldn't care less, and would rather stick to the cold legalistic approach, then thats your prerogative. I disagree with such a stance under our countries present circumstance and 'unprecedented' goings on.
    How did you think that "jingle mail" was a concept here?

Does it matter? The point was, that I unfortunately assumed that this is how such a thing worked.
    How does it sound reasonable?

Well, take my circumstance. If our income stops and doesn't start again, we can't pay the mortgage, then we get evicted and the bank sells our house. It sounds reasonable, that any shortfall shouldn't hang like a noose around the necks of a family who already have had to lose their jobs, home etc. It makes sense that such people should not be driven into the ground further. It makes sense that all the fiscal checks, home value checks etc that a bank do is to protect THEIR risk as well as yours.
    And therein lies the problem. You don't want to know what's going on, but happy to falsely believe you are being "abused"?

No. I drive a car everyday, but I don't have a desire to deconstruct the combustion engine. However, I know how to change tyres etc. Similarly, I find number crunching a tedious endeavour, though I budget, do tax returns etc. You'll find that most people operate in similar ways. We as people, have faith in others on a regular basis. We have faith that our car was made well, and drive it at high speeds. If someones engine blows on the motorway, we don't wag our heads and say that they should have known that the little rattle in the engine was a dangerous fault.

So again, I accept my part in this, and all of our personal responsibilities in this. However, that does not relieve the responsibilities of other parties in this financial mess. Namely, the banks and the government.
    And yo uare right, there are a lot of people like you. That is why, 4 years after the first signs of trouble appeared, there is a large percentage of people who refuse to try to understand what happened in this country, but willing to blame it all on the banks/fianna fail/developers etc. And why, 4 years on, we have yet to actually fix the problems. 4 years ago, many other western countries were in far bigger trouble than us. But by taking the necessary actions, they are now in a much better position than us.

Oh right so. You've made your point. Helpful. Never heard it before neither. The irony, is that your above point is just another twist on the blame game.
    Why post here if you don't want my advice?

Notice the posts before yours. I asked a specific question, which others seemed to be able to understand.
    Were you hoping that loads of people would just post here agreeing with you that you are being "abused"

Very grown up. I wasn't seeking agreement. I gave my story and asked a simple question, 'Is there anything I can do?'
    and that we should "punish the banks"

Could you point out where I said lets punish the banks? Actually, don't bother as I don't appreciate any of your unhelpful input thus far.
    You admit you know nothing about the financial sector,

No, didn't say that. I said i had no interest in it. I do my own taxes, household budgets, worked in a Bank for 3 years and have invested in shares etc. However, the financial sector is a tedious place and I have no interest in it and I generally know what I need to know. As I mentioned earlier though, I unfortunately didn't know a very important part of a mortgage agreement, not that its central to my OP anyway.

happy to believe that there is some bogeyman out there responsible for problems.
    :rolleyes: Preconceptions are such a pain in the hole.

You've made your view about 'people like me' (whoever they are) stopping economic recovery, clear. So now that you've cast judgement and got that off your chest, is there anything forward thinking or constructive you could add to my OP? Namely, we are trapped in negative equity and in our mortgage with our lender as a consequence. Have we any options? Again, I really don't require a visit from Captain Hindsight, as I said, I possess his powers myself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can we drag this back to the topic and address only the posters actual query? OP if you want to debate the greater problems in the country, there are more relevant forums.

No problem.

• Advertisement

Ah lads, dont stop, yer great craic. Never mind the up coming leaders debate, yer much better..Oh better still, perhaps ye should be the warm up act:D

Which part of my last post wasn't clear?

So again, I accept my part in this, and all of our personal responsibilities in this. However, that does not relieve the responsibilities of other parties in this financial mess. Namely, the banks and the government.

The only real way to avoid financial peril for you and your family is to become well versed in personal finance, which is something you seem to be averse to....

So what would you have the government do? perhaps they could appoint someone to supervise your financial decisions.... or perhaps there should be some kind of examination before you are allowed to take out a mortgage, enter a HP agreement or sign up for a pension, so they can be sure you understand what you are doing! Apart from ensuring that adequate information is available, I doubt that anyone of us would want the government involved in our financial decision to that extent!

As regards what to do in your current situation:

- Increase income: do any kind of casual work you can find, sell stuff: I flog all the stuff I don't need on eBay about once a year.

- Reduce out goings: buy second hand (eBay again!). I've lived in Switzerland for almost 20 years and I'm always amazed at how frugal they are - first of all they'll never replace anything unless it is well beyond repair, then the first stop is the Brocki (second hand shop) and only if that fails will they consider the possibility of buying a new item... you almost never see a Swiss with new ski gear, it is almost always second hand... TV & Radio equipment the same story, a broken TV is replaced by a 5 year old model from the second hand shop and so on... visit any professional's household and you'll find lots of second hand stuff!

- Declare yourself bankrupt: Having worked in Ireland in the 1980s in the Insolvency and liquidation business, this is an option I would not wish on anyone.

Jim.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The only real way to avoid financial peril for you and your family is to become well versed in personal finance, which is something you seem to be averse to....

So what would you have the government do? perhaps they could appoint someone to supervise your financial decisions.... or perhaps there should be some kind of examination before you are allowed to take out a mortgage, enter a HP agreement or sign up for a pension, so they can be sure you understand what you are doing! Apart from ensuring that adequate information is available, I doubt that anyone of us would want the government involved in our financial decision to that extent!

As regards what to do in your current situation:

- Increase income: do any kind of casual work you can find, sell stuff: I flog all the stuff I don't need on eBay about once a year.

- Reduce out goings: buy second hand (eBay again!). I've lived in Switzerland for almost 20 years and I'm always amazed at how frugal they are - first of all they'll never replace anything unless it is well beyond repair, then the first stop is the Brocki (second hand shop) and only if that fails will they consider the possibility of buying a new item... you almost never see a Swiss with new ski gear, it is almost always second hand... TV & Radio equipment the same story, a broken TV is replaced by a 5 year old model from the second hand shop and so on... visit any professional's household and you'll find lots of second hand stuff!

- Declare yourself bankrupt: Having worked in Ireland in the 1980s in the Insolvency and liquidation business, this is an option I would not wish on anyone.

Jim.

As buffybot mentioned, I'd like to stick with the op thanks. Have you anything to sugest regards the OP? Opinions of what you think I'm averse to etc mean nothing to me tbh. I just want specific advice, as per the OP, its that simple.

As buffybot mentioned, I'd like to stick with the op thanks. Have you anything to sugest regards the OP? Opinions of what you think I'm averse to etc mean nothing to me tbh. I just want specific advice, as per the OP, its that simple.

Frankly, since you feel free to pepper all your posts with uninformed opinions on financial matters, you must expect that others have a right to express their opinions as well.

In fact opinion is all we can offer! We can't wave a magic wand to fix your financial problems, all we can do is offer some sympathy, so ideas about how you might manage the situation through budgeting and educating to ensure that it does not happen again...

If that is not what you are after then I would suggest you go pay a professional and see what they have to offer....

Good luck with that,

Jim

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Frankly, since you feel free to pepper all your posts with uninformed opinions on financial matters, you must expect that others have a right to express their opinions as well.

In fact opinion is all we can offer! We can't wave a magic wand to fix your financial problems, all we can do is offer some sympathy, so ideas about how you might manage the situation through budgeting and educating to ensure that it does not happen again...

If that is not what you are after then I would suggest you go pay a professional and see what they have to offer....

Good luck with that,

Jim

So do you have anything constructive to add to my specific question? I appreciate that you are saying 'take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again', but I'm not seeking advice on budgeting. Thats a WHOLE different question, for a WHOLE different circumstance. It feels like sh1t knowing my own mistakes have been a big part in where I'm at, and I don't need to be told it. Yes I'm p1ssed off at the banks, Yes I'm p1ssed off with the government, and yes I'm p1ssed off with ME. Now have you got something constructive to ad TO THE OP? You can think of me as a complete financial retard for all that it matters, but I'd love to know if you have any advice on the actual OP. It does seem that, as my OP suggests, we have nowhere to turn. Certainly will try negotiating, but I wont hold my breath for any good to come of that.

Seem as folks can't play ball nicely, I'm closing this thread.

Report posts, don't not respond directly on thread in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement