Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Waterford

Options
  • 24-01-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm thinking of moving to Waterford in the next few weeks and I'm looking for a bit of advice when it comes to the areas. I'm on rent allowance so places can't be much more than 450pm. The best I've turned up from Daft and Property.ie are in Ballybricken, High Street and Scotch Quay. Is there anywhere in this list that's best avoided or can anyone steer me towards a cheap, quiet place to rent? Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Quiet enough areas, especially Scotch Quay. Where abouts there are you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Distance

Hi Sully. Cheers for your reply. Looking at Harbour View and Congreve House on Scotch Quay, Andrews Street in Ballybricken and Keizer House on High Street. I'd like to be as central as possible and don't mind a bit of passing street noise as long as the place is secure and the area's safe enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah sorry, I was thinking of somewhere else in regards to Scotch Quay.

Right well Ballybricken (Garda station located here) and High Street (just of the main quays) are pretty much in the center of town, High St just a tad farther away. Scotch Quay isn't in the City Center, but just outside of it. Its a quick walk into the city center, 5mins or so id say roughly. But easily within walking distance. Its the farthest away from them all, but there all very close to the city center. Neither of these areas are trouble spots, would be relatively quiet at night but busy enough during the day (Scotch Quay being the quietest).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scotch Quay (AKA Georges Quay on google) has the advantage of being by the river and a minutes walk from the park and being the most pleasant location generally, but you would be a bit further from any decent grocery shops than either of the other two which might be an issue if you don't have a car.

Sound, cheers. Time to get on the phone and see what's left now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Hi Distance, If I was looking for an appartment in the city centre and don't mind street noise this is what I'd be looking at for €400 a month..

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1003174

Sorry Mike - I posted before I saw you there. Cheers for the input. To be honest they're all convenient enough for me - I don't drive but the extra walk would be a fair trade for a nice location.

Funfair, I was looking at that one earlier but I got put off by something I read in another post about parties in the buildings from Friday til Sunday - I think this place was mentioned, lumped in with a few others. It looks a nice building (and 2 bed!) but I'd gladly walk with me shoppin' for the extra few minutes to get some peace on the weekends . . . ahhh, I've gotten old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Distance wrote: »
    Sound, cheers. Time to get on the phone and see what's left now :)

Its nice down here!! i moved down for 6 months.. that was 11 years ago and im still here :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote: »
    Scotch Quay (AKA Georges Quay on google) has the advantage of being by the river and a minutes walk from the park and being the most pleasant location generally,

Agreed in general its lovely, from what I've seen though during the winter some apartments down that way have damp issue....of course the closeness to the river doesn't help that especially on winter nights with fog etc . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

i live in ballybricken in wellington st appartments ---very nice area -- mix of old ppl in the houses -- and general mix of ppl in appartments ---very well managed -pve me if u want a contact number for management company

• Advertisement
Advertisement