Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive problems - restart during format

Options
  • 17-01-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I bought a new Iomega 1TB USB external HDD. I was using it for a week or 2 but it kept taking 5-10 minutes to copy files etc. so I decided to format it. I removed the 50mb of stuff I had on it and went to format it as NTFS. I left this running and went to bed and windows Vista decided it would be a good time to do a reboot after some update.

Now, ever since the PC restarted it isn't detecting the Hard Drive. The light on the drive is coming on but it isn't appearing ion 'add/remove hardware' or under My Computer.

Anyone got any idea what could be up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Keywal

Download Gparted live cd...
    Burn it to cd

run it at start up and it will list the drive there... format and your done! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Another thing you could do is right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

If the hard drive is connected then it should show up here on the bottom (normally as Disk 1) - from there you should be able to right click on the disk and assign a letter to the drive.

Had a similar issue with an external hard drive recently and that allowed it to show up - from there I was able to format it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Thanks, I'll try that out.

I tried the Disk Management thing already but it isn't appearing there either.

Thanks, I'll try that out.

I tried the Disk Management thing already but it isn't appearing there either.

It wouldn't appear at the top with drives that have letters assigned to them - however it should show up at the bottom of the screen as an Unassigned Disk / Disk 1

removing_partition_hard_drive_using_windows_xp.gif

i.e. it would be underneath Where Disk 0 is on this pic and it would be unallocated

I had a look again but it isn't appearing anywhere that I can see:

144219.jpg

The status light is on but it isn't appearing in the add/remove hardware either and it isn't making any noise. Ever since the PC crashed/rebooted during format it hasn't been recognised on the PC.

• Advertisement

Gparted?

Trying that now if I can find a blank CD

Its downloading now. So do I just insert the disc at start up and then what do I select?

The status light is on but it isn't appearing in the add/remove hardware either and it isn't making any noise. Ever since the PC crashed/rebooted during format it hasn't been recognised on the PC.

Alright...that's odd my apologies! Try the software Keywal suggested, if that shouldn't work for any reason Easaus is a really good partition manager/wizard available from downloads.cnet.com

I'll keep an eye on the thread anyway so hopefully keywals solution works, best of luck with it

have a look an their website for guides!

but please be careful that you dont format your own drive. it is NOT the same as partitioning in Windows. i.e. Windows will protect itself ffrom formatting itself but Gparted is operational before windows even starts.

anyway when it opens up fully you should see this..

gparted_1_big.png

in this you will see one bar has what looks like its got something in it. your other drive will not. its safe to say that you format the empty one! :o

do a quick format if you can.. it will atleast make it visible to windows where you can go for the full format and use your computer while its doing it! i have the fingers crossed for you! Good luck! :P

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks.

How long would a quick format take roughly for a 1TB drive?

I am doing work at the moment so will leave it until later tonight if it's too long.

Thanks for your help.

Does the word AGES mean anything to you! :rolleyes:

it will take a while so i'd leave it running and go about something else! ;)

Oh nd before you panic at the options remember 2 things... NTFS and make the alocation size as big as you can... think the figure is 4096..

this makes big blocks on the drive so storing big movie files wont kill it or give errors when trying to copy at a later date!

Ok, cheers for the heads up. I'm going to try it in the morning and leave it running while Im at work.

Had no joy with this so just took it back and got a 1TB WD Elements instead. Thanks for pointing me to GParted though, good resource.

No worries Jeff,

at least your sorted now! :p

Advertisement