Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size frame????

Options
  • 07-01-2011 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

AM i ok to buy a 58 cm bike. My leg lenght is 33 and a half inches from groin to the ground(with out shoes). I used an online frame calculator and it works out to be 57cm roughly. Would i be ok to buy a 58cm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Hi hunter, if you go to most decent bike shops, they will fit you for the bike. Knowing you're close to a 58cm frame size is handy, but different manufacturers have different geometries, and making sure you get the right size is crucial, so find a shop with staff you get a good feeling from and between you finding something that feels right and them giving you their advice, you should get the right fit. On the other hand, if you're buying online, it helps to have a bike already, or at least know how you feel on a particular, measurable frame. Then compare the geometry of the online bike with the lengths and angles of the frame you have/have ridden, and you should know roughly where you stand.

For what it's worth, I normally take a 56cm frame, legs are 32.3 inches, but the length of the top tube is a crucial one to get right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

I am 6'2 with a 34 leg and am selling a carbon framed bike .Its a 58 and fitted me perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Using the rule of thumb: Inside leg x .667, you would need a 56.75cm frame.
    The advice I was given was that if my frame size was in between 2 sizes then choose the smaller size, so that would make you a 56cm. If after that you feel cramped on the bike you could fit a longer stem for the bars.
    That advice was based on the fact that the smaller bike would be lighter so it might be the other way round if you prefer comfort over speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hunter9

thanks for the reply. The problem i have is that i want to buy the cube aerial off chain reaction and they only have a 58cm in stock. I can only afford this model on sale and know that the 2011 models have 56cm is tock. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as you can see and just need to know if i buy the 58cm will it cut the bollix out of me or not (this is my first bike and will i really know the difference ??????)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Here is a useful resource I have used in the past. It may be more accurate as it corelates your inseam, height and shoe size to calculate your frame size. Read the section on the different ways that similar frames are measured and also note the difference between compact and standard frames.
    http://www.prodigalchild.net/Bicycle6.htm#Compact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

You will regret the wrong frame size, as you will never get the full potential of your self out of the wrong frame size.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

hunter9 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. The problem i have is that i want to buy the cube aerial off chain reaction and they only have a 58cm in stock. I can only afford this model on sale and know that the 2011 models have 56cm is tock. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as you can see and just need to know if i buy the 58cm will it cut the bollix out of me or not (this is my first bike and will i really know the difference ??????)

Well, if you drive, I would suggest going up to Chain Reaction, sitting on the bike and get some advice from the staff - bearing in mind that their natural inclination will be to sell you what they have in stock!! But as Michael says if you buy the wrong size (it's easier to get away with slightly too small than too big?) you will regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markdrayton

hunter9 wrote: »

If at all possible try to test ride this bike or one with similar geometry. Being stuck on a bike that doesn't fit is no fun regardless of how much you saved.

As others have mentioned the top tube length (distance from handlebar stem to seatpost) is the crucial dimension as it dictates how stretched you'll be. Get this wrong and you'll be sore in surprising places. I still don't understand why manufacturers quote sizes based on the seat tube -- you can just move the saddle up and down to change that. It also doesn't help that manufacturers measure seat tube length in different ways: I have 52cm and 56cm frames by different manufacturers with similar top tube lengths.

Basing a frame size on leg measurement isn't that useful as legs can be out of proportion to the upper body (I'm a good example -- my legs are relatively long but my upper body is relatively short).

Having said all that, looking at Cube's geometry chart it seems that Cube frames are relatively short for the sizing. The 58cm frame has an effective top tube length (ie, a horizontal measurement between stem and seatpost rather than along the sloping frame tube) of 56cm, which is more typical of a 56cm frame. For comparison, the 58cm Focus Cayo has a 57cm top tube.

In summary, a 58cm Cube is slightly smaller than you might expect from a 58cm frame. You could probably take a punt on it.

Also see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69418594

Advertisement