Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a sewing machine? i need help.

Options
  • 27-12-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

so i got a christmas bonus this year (and before anybody asks i dont work in a bank!) so i have some money that i wouldnt usually have and i thought i might as well get something i have always wanted, a sewing machine.
    i would be looking to sew heavy materials like tarp, vinyl and nylon. would i need a specific machine to work with these materials? i was reading around the web and apparently old singer sewing machine can be had for around €200 and they are better suited to these heavy materials compared to modern day machines.

any general info on heavy duty sewing machines, where to get them, brands to get and prices would be appreciated! thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,208 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you want to just do straight sewing on heavy materials, then yes, an old Singer would be a good choice. Either a treadle (a hand machine is difficult to manage fabric, especially heavy fabric as you only have one hand to control the fabric) or one of the early, heavy body electrics. I sewed all kinds of fabric on one of these, up to and including carpet. You would need to make sure it was in good condition though, and check that none of the parts were worn or loose.

Even one of these would not sew more than two or three layers of tarp though, so as soon as you hit a fold (at a seam join) you could have problems.

Alternatively you could buy an industrial machine designed for the type of sewing you want to do - even then you would probably get a second hand machine at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TheSewAndSew

Hi Sparkie

The most important thing for the heavier fabrics is a good motor and good quality needles. Pfaff and Husquvarna have some of the best motors, and Toyota make some good models too. The motor is the important bit - the motor in a Husquvarna sewing machine is the same one they put in their chainsaws. :-)

Make sure you get heavy, good quality needles. If you ask for 'denim & leather' needles that should do the trick.

And like looksee said, when you come to a seamline just take it easy. You can usually manually wind forward for these bits, it's a bit easier on the needle than hammering along on the footswitch.

John at the Singer shop in Waterford is the best guy in the country to deal with for machines as far as I'm concerned. He gives a good long guarantee, repairs machines himself, and usually ships them out to you for nothing. The shop is 051-874571.

Best of luck.
    Rhona

Advertisement