Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit #9 - Knifey Spoony

Options
  • 02-01-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is Knifey Spoony.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed.
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?
    Was it something to do with this:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out this year?

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Ah lads,leave some questions for the rest of us!:pac:

Master of Puppets,Peace Sells or Reign in Blood?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Has your interest in Rock and Metal ever led to collecting anything in the way of Merchandise, Tour Programmes, T Shirts, Picks, Passes...that kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Malice_ wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?

Bit of a strange path really, started off listening to the usual nu-metal bands, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc. Then it was some of my friends got me into Nirvana and then I was given Appetite for Destruction by one of them as he had a spare copy and my interest in rock just took off from there. Picked up the guitar, went seaching for bands like Guns N' Roses that had great instrumentation and I just kept finding better and better rock and metal bands.

I supose it is discovering new bands and genres of metal that keep me coming back to it. Lately I've been really into uncovering local bands from where I'm from (Cork) and I've been surprised by what I have been missing out on all along.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

I think I was looking for information on the Metallica gig in Marlay Park in 09 and a google search brought me here. Kept coming back here, went into different forums, decided I liked the cut of this site's gib and so signed up.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

Probably just gonna echo what others have said before me, but just the fact that everyone's option here is respected. There is no snide remarks made if you say that you like this band or that band, unlike other rock/metal forums. Also, the hope of discovering some band that I have yet to hear brings me back.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

I'm currently in the middle of my third year of Electrical and Electronic Engineering in UCC, so that takes up a good bit of my time. I also play the guitar and mess around with the drums.
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?

I would have to say Appetite for Destruction. I just remembering being below away by the instrumentation in it. The interplay between Slash and Izzy, Duff's wondering bass lines, Axl's vocals, I had never heard anything like it before. The way they could change up a song in the middle and create this whole new atmosphere, like in Rocket Queen and Welcome to the Jungle, just blew me away.
    Where did your username come from?
    Was it something to do with this:

I have been looking for a good qualtity version of that clip for a while now, but yeah, that is where I got it from.

• Advertisement

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out this year?

I actually think that I havn't bought an album that has come out last year, I got Mastodon's EP alright, but the closest album that I got to being released last year would have been Shrinebuilder's self titled. Just spent the year catching up on albums that I had missed out on before or getting albums from old bands that I had gotten into during the year.
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

Well, the first gig that I would have had to travel for would have been Metallica in Marlay Park in '09. I would said that I would have been more excited to see Mastodon that day than Metallica.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

Can't really think of any band right now. If I don't like a band I just tend to ignore them instead of dwelling on why I hate them.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

I would mostly be found in the UCC forum, Ranting and Raving, Bands and Musicans and do a bit of lurking in After Hours and Cool Vids.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

I could go for either of them really. Depends on what day you catch me on. I could go from listening to The Doors or Led Zepplin to rocking out to Mastodon or chilling to Om, so I really have a wide range of taste in both genres.

At the moment I really into Doom and Sludge, so I love looking up bands in those genres.
    If you could go drinking with 5 people in metal, who would they be?

Any 5 people eh? Would have to be Brent Hinds from Mastodon and Matt Pike from High on fire just beacuse they seem like mad bastards when on the drink. Also, Jim Morrision just for the shear madness of what he used to get up to. Then just round it off with Slash, since he's a bit of a hero of mine, and Dave Grohl since he seems like a sound guy.
    What would be the lineup of your dream gig?

If they can be from any era, then I would have to say early 70's Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin co-headling, with support from Appetite for Destrucion era Guns N Roses. If it's just bands around today then, High on Fire and Sleep with Mastodon Headlining
    Assuming you like any of them, which of the big 4 of thrash is your favourite?

Just got into Megadeth last year and really don't listen to Slayer or Antrax, so I'm gonna have to go with Metallica, since I have more of their albums than Megadeth and they would have been the first true metal band that I would have gotten into.
    What was the last rock/metal album that really let you down, cause you expected huge things from it?

That would have to be Them Cooked Vultures' self titled. Just sounds boring to me, more of a jam then a proper album really. And after listening to the album I'm starting to think that I just can't get into anything Josh Homme does.

Phew!

lord lucan wrote: »
    Ah lads,leave some questions for the rest of us!:pac:

Master of Puppets,Peace Sells or Reign in Blood?

I haven't really listened to Peace Sells or Regine in Blood, just bits and pieces of them really. So, its gotta be Master of Puppets, which would have been the first proper metal album I got into and still one of my all time favouite albums.

Has your interest in Rock and Metal ever led to collecting anything in the way of Merchandise, Tour Programmes, T Shirts, Picks, Passes...that kind of thing?

I'm not really into buying t-shirts or other kinds of merchandise when I'm at gigs. But I have gotten into the habit of trying to get my hands on posters for local gigs that I have been to. Just have a couple so far but I'm kicking myself that I missed out on getting one at the Shrinebuilder gig lately, just wasn't fast enough! I also love hanging onto gig tickets as well, so I prefer to buy tickets for smaller gigs before hand instead of paying at the door, just so i'll have the ticket to hold onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you like any musical genres outside rock and metal?

Was going to ask do you play an instrument, but seen as you've all ready said that: Is there any instrument you haven't learned but would love to/wish you had?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do you like any musical genres outside rock and metal?

Not really. Just that there is so much in those two genres, bands and sub-genres that I am always discovering, I have never really gotten into anything outside of them. But, I do love to watch musicans of any kind when they play in a live setting, whatever it is, but I just so happens that my music collect is full of rock/metal tracks.
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Was going to ask do you play an instrument, but seen as you've all ready said that: Is there any instrument you haven't learned but would love to/wish you had?

I would love to get my hands on a bass and learn how to paly that. I just think that it is such an under-rated instrument and I sometimes regret not taking it up in favour of the guitar. It's just a lack of time and money now that is stopping me from getting one.

• Advertisement

I'm stealing other people's questions from previous threads:

Who's the most famous musician you've met?
    Who do you think is the biggest idiot in metal and why?
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?
    Do you dress like a metalhead?
    What was the last album that you bought?
    Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Didn't read the other questions, so sorry if some of mine are similar, but I'm only copy & pasting them from recent threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

What's the most excited you've ever been about something Rock/Metal? (Like announcements, or purchases or whatever)

To counter this, who do you think is the smartest in the genre and why? (In terms of musical ingenuity or smart business decisions.)

Who's the most famous musician you've met?

I don't think I've ever met anyone that famous. Maybe the singer/bass player of Glyder after one of their gigs in freds last year, but he more or less stopped me on the street to ask for directions to some bar. Other than that no body really.

I have to say that Axl Rose has to get this award. I just don't understand why he thinks he can treat his fans like shit, even after they spent almost 15 years waiting for one pretty average album. That, and breaking up the original line-ups of one of my favouite bands.
    Who would be your favourite metal babe?

I'm not really sure about this maybe Cristina Scabbia but not really too awear of any metal babes, which is a crying shame and a problem that must be rectified immediately!
    Do you dress like a metalhead?

Kinda. I got long hair and a bit of a smig, but won't really go for the sterotypical look, leather/patch jacket type stuff. I can be seen wearing band t-shirts most of the time though.
    What was the last album that you bought?

The last album that I got would have been Strange Meat by Brains. They're a local Cork band that I just discovered, kinda like early Black Sabbath type stuff, maybe with a more deep south bluesy type twist. The album can be downloaded for free from here:http://brainscork.bandcamp.com/. Plus I get to see these guys tomorrow night, so can't wait for that.

Since that album was free, the last album that I actually bought is the Blue Record by Baroness. Still waiting to give it a proper listen, but there is something very alluring about the guitar lines in it.

Which artists have inspired/influenced you as a musician?

I would have to say that Slash's stuff on Appetite for Destruction really got my into playing guitar. That stuff was propbably too advanced for me at the time but I'm glad I kept with it. Now-a-days just watching musicans play live or hearing a great guitar line in a song gives me that itch to pick up my guitar, so I've being playing stuff from what I've been listening to, which is mostly Mastodon.

Numina wrote: »
    What's the most excited you've ever been about something Rock/Metal? (Like announcements, or purchases or whatever)

To counter this, who do you think is the smartest in the genre and why? (In terms of musical ingenuity or smart business decisions.)

Probably getting to see Mastodon and Metallica on the same day in Marlay Park was the most excited I've been about a gig. Just that I had been into Metallica for so long by then and was really getting into Mastodon at the time, so I had a friend buy me a ticket the minute they went on sale to make sure that I'd there. Outside of that, probably getting home and playing my new guitar a couple of months ago. Finally owning a proper axe (a 2007 Gibson SG Standard) after years of playing a beginners guitar was an amazing feeling.

As for the smartest person in the genre, I'm not really sure about that, I'll have to have a think about it.
    Nailz wrote: »
    Didn't read the other questions, so sorry if some of mine are similar, but I'm only copy & pasting them from recent threads.

Was there meant to be a question in there Nailz?

Ahhh balls, that's what happens when you leave it too late to go to bed. Just a second, I'll find them again.

Got 'em...

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

How do you approach discovering new Rock & Metal bands around Cork?
    (e.g. internet/other media/word of mouth/local gigs)

I see you mention Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Mastodon as interests among others, what intention do you go to their gigs with?
    (e.g. kick back and enjoy the music/head to the mosh pit/scrutinize technique & performance/get wasted)

Another question I haven't seen posted in this thread:
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

everyone has at least one embarrassing album in their collection. What is an album in your collection that is your hidden pleasure ;)

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    Got 'em...

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

Vocals - Jim Morrison
    Drums - John Bonham
    Bass - Phil Lynnot
    Guitar - Rory Gallagher

I would have no idea what I'd call them, I am absolutely no I idea what they would be called, I am terrible at coming up with names for stuff, so should never ever be called upon to name a band.

I would love to be able to play the bass properly and one of the songs that I would like to be able to play is Orion by Metallica. I always just assumed that most of what are actually bass lines where just played by the guitar, until I listened to the bass track one day and what I heard blew my mind. I am always surprised by what the bass can do, and that song conatains some brillant bass lines.

Never listened to either Damageplan or Super Joint Ritual before, so just going by listening to the first songs that came up when I typed their names into youtube, I'm gonna go with Super Joint Ritual

How do you approach discovering new Rock & Metal bands around Cork?
    (e.g. internet/other media/word of mouth/local gigs)

I see you mention Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Mastodon as interests among others, what intention do you go to their gigs with?
    (e.g. kick back and enjoy the music/head to the mosh pit/scrutinize technique & performance/get wasted)

I usually check up the gig sections on different websites and see whats going on around Cork. If there's a band playing that I like the look of I check out their Myspace page and if I like what I'm hearing I head to the gig. That's the way I discovered Brains, People of the Monolith and Five Will Die. It's really in the last year that I've gotten into the local scene, and I am very surprised about how great some of these bands are, it's just a pity that they get so little exposure.

Usually at gigs kick back and enjoy the music and have a good time. If a pit breaks out near me, then I probably going to be the first to join in, but I might lay off this in future gigs, since I'm not really listening to the music when I'm in them. I never go to a gig with the intension of judging the music and listening out for mistakes, I think that kinda ruins the experience.

Another question I haven't seen posted in this thread:
    What's your favourite Rock/Metal album artwork?

Probably the artwork on the special edition of Lievathan by Mastodon:

mastodon-leviathan.jpg

It's a pretty cool image and reflects the content of the music so well.

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    everyone has at least one embarrassing album in their collection. What is an album in your collection that is your hidden pleasure ;)

I would have to say my Tenacious D albums. They just seem to be the complete opposite of what I normally listen too, but I always have time for some dicking about and some fun. Have to say that thier film is a guilty pleasue of mine as well.

:P

Probably the artwork on the special edition of Lievathan by Mastodon
    It's a pretty cool image and reflects the content of the music so well.

Awesome choice!

Okay, thanks to everyone for posting questions and of course to Knifey Spoony for taking the time to answer them.

The next In The Pit is here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement