Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-12-2010, 23:30   #46
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses

Hi Folks...

Changed the title of the thread.... You are free to discuss boiler operating....etc...

Enjoy.....
Advertisement
18-12-2010, 16:08   #47
knighted_1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary71 View Post
Correct burner pressure or correct co2 setting = correct gas rate, I use gas rating as proof of what I already know from testing it's a tool, not a necessitie,
nothing less than 19mbar at the appliance working pressure 1 mbar drop allowed, there is no problem getting the correct co2 at the correct working pressure and your on your own ajusting boilers in away not reconised by the manufactures ie. me, you reduce the gas to a low working pressure then any igniton issues you be fixing because I'll be looking for more gas before I get involved, Viessmann work at 11mbar working pressure allday everyday and that's the main boiler Martin has worked on the other is mine and I would be telling him the same thing, lastly no need to apolagise, gas fitting comes done to opinions and we all have one
you see this is the thing ,a gas rate is required by law now .if as suggested earlier that someone hangs a boiler and fires it up i gaurantee it will be overfiring if someone wants to post a boiler make and kw and the manufacturers stated m3ph i will do the calculation and show you how its overfiring -
18-12-2010, 17:30   #48
gary71

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighted_1 View Post
you see this is the thing ,a gas rate is required by law now -
your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighted_1 View Post
if as suggested earlier that someone hangs a boiler and fires it up i gaurantee it will be overfiring -
based on what studies, what are your gas qualification(apart from GID) and what have you studied to come to this opinion(apart from Mr Hogan).

Last edited by gary71; 18-12-2010 at 17:40.
18-12-2010, 18:14   #49
slavetothegrind

http://www.ferroli.co.uk/Product_Doc...8_S_Manual.pdf

in the case of the above boiler, you install it and check you have the required 20mb at the inlet. no further adjustment of gas pressure is allowed as the valve is sealed.
how do you propose to correct the overfire situation you believe to exist here?

me up for learning
Thanks from:
18-12-2010, 18:25   #50
Micky Dolenz
Cat Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetothegrind View Post
http://www.ferroli.co.uk/Product_Doc...8_S_Manual.pdf

in the case of the above boiler, you install it and check you have the required 20mb at the inlet. no further adjustment of gas pressure is allowed as the valve is sealed.
how do you propose to correct the overfire situation you believe to exist here?

me up for learning

The baxi solo HE is the same, and there are a few others where there is no adjustment. If you find a problem with appliance firing etc when commissioning it, you would have to make a service call.
Advertisement
18-12-2010, 18:34   #51
gary71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Dolenz View Post
The baxi solo HE is the same, and there are a few others where there is no adjustment. If you find a problem with appliance firing etc when commissioning it, you would have to make a service call.
Don't go mixing up a real ignition or combustion issue with a made up over firing issue.
18-12-2010, 18:35   #52
Micky Dolenz
Cat Mod

Quote:
Don't go mixing up a real ignition or combustion issue with a made up over firing issue.

I mean, if co2 readings are out or gas rate too high or low.
Thanks from:
18-12-2010, 20:28   #53
gary71

Here are some facts:

1) The higher the C.V the more a supplier can charge(so ours is high because?)

2) A gas boiler shall be gas rated on commissioning.

3) you can only commission asper the manufactures instructions and none allow for the adjustment of the gas isolation valve

5) you can't adjust the gas rate on a condensing boiler other than the adjustment allowed by the manufactures on some gas valves to set correct co2. adjusting the gas inlet valve may put the working pressure at the appliance below the required amount specified in IS813 5.4.5.

6) The manufactures write different instructions for different countries so the values can change in the manuals although the boilers stay pretty much the same.

7) To date in this country no gas boiler made by my firm has had a issue with the high CV given by Bord Gais.

8) When designing and making appliances, manufactures use the European average calorific value which is 10.8 kWh/m3 as a starting point and not the UK CV value.

Last edited by gary71; 18-12-2010 at 23:16.
18-12-2010, 21:52   #54
Joey the lips

Quote:
Here are some facts:

1) The higher the C.V the more a supplier can charge(so ours is high because?)

2) A gas boiler shall be gas rated on commissioning.

3) you can only commission asper the manufactures instructions and none allow for the adjustment of the gas isolation valve

5) you can't adjust the gas rate on a condensing boiler other than the adjustment allowed by the manufactures on some gas valves to set correct co2. adjusting the gas inlet valve may put the working pressure at the appliance below the required amount specified in IS813 5.4.5.

6) The manufactures write different instructions for different countries so the values can change in the manuals although the boilers stay pretty much the same.

7) To date in this country no gas boiler made by my firm has had a issue with the high CV given by Bord Gais.

8) When designing and making appliances, manufactures use the European average calorific value which is 10.8 kWh/m3 and not the UK CV value.

This is why i orig closed the thread. No 3 was my understanding...

ps... you forgot 4.
Advertisement
18-12-2010, 22:23   #55
gary71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey the lips View Post
This is why i orig closed the thread. No 3 was my understanding...

ps... you forgot 4.
Fact number 4) I'm sh1t with numbers
Thanks from:
19-12-2010, 23:29   #56
JohnnieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey the lips View Post
Hi Folks...

Wondered if you can help. Was asked a question today i have not been asked in a while... Brother has a gas boiler thats 15 years old and sounds like its just about to set down...A couple of leaks...heatexchanger pump... etc...

Anyway traditionally what i would have done there is supply a boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger somethine like a suprima or a glowworm. You know why..the dirt etc...

Just wondering since condensing boilers have come in the standard seems to be aluminium heat exchangers which off course is prone to blocking...or are they...

The simple question i am asking is...what is now supplied for the retrofitting of a boiler...is it a condensing one with a fabricated heat exhanger and a serious system flush or is it something else...

Many thanks for parting with the knowledge....
A stainless steel heat exchanger is the only way to go Joey. The best corrosion resistance, and minimizes deposit build up due to having a smooth surface.
Thanks from:
20-12-2010, 11:14   #57
Joey the lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieK View Post
A stainless steel heat exchanger is the only way to go Joey. The best corrosion resistance, and minimizes deposit build up due to having a smooth surface.
I like that but are they interchangable.. For example if i buy a make of boiler can i go off and buy a stainless steel heat exchanger.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion