Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose of Tralee SkyFest Airshow 2011

Options
  • 10-12-2010 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All,

The SkyFest airshow kicked off for the first time in August 2010 in conjunction with Ireland's largest festival - the Rose of Tralee.

The airshow was run on a trial basis with pilots such as: Howard Cox in his Bede BD5 aircraft, Gerry Humphreys in his Vans RV7 (well known in the Irish Aviation Industry), the Pilot Training College & Eddie Goggins (Bronze medal at the Advanced World Aerobatic Championships in 2008).

The feedback from the 5,000 or so people that attended the show was fantastic and it has been decided to expand the airshow vastly next year.

We have a website but it is currently offline for an upgrade and it will be live again in January.

Applications have been submitted for the following to display on Saturday 20th August 2011:
    • Eddie Goggins in his Extra 300L aircraft
    • Irish Air Corps
    • Shannon Coast Guard Helicopter
    • RAF Spitfire
    • RAF SeaKing Helicopter
    • RAF Red Arrows
    We will be submitting for more display teams in early January so you can expect this show to become huge.

A common misconception about the Rose of Tralee is that all that happens is what you see on TV, the Roses, this is highly incorrect, a huge street festival with entertainment and events running all over Tralee from Morning 'til Midnight, all suited for different ages. The airshow is just a part of these "Fringe Events"

For more info in the meantime or to ask any questions, please join our FaceBook page on:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Rose-of-Tralee-SkyFest-Airshow/147146945300128

or e-mail the Chief Air Display Organiser - seanhorgan.kerry@gmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Sounds like an awesome line up.

I will head down for this definitely, didnt hear about it last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nice, The Red Arrows will be the deal breaker for me.

When i lived in Llandudno on August Bank Holiday weekend the RAF used to hold a big sort of thing in the town, displays etc.

The Red Arrows used to do all 3 days and it was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

The OP said they have submitted applications. I'm sure the application to the Red Arrows was submitted last September, the deadline for 2011. Lets wait and see how they get on.

Best of luck! Hopefully they will fuel in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SkyFest Airshow

Foggy43 wrote: »
    The OP said they have submitted applications. I'm sure the application to the Red Arrows was submitted last September, the deadline for 2011. Lets wait and see how they get on.

Best of luck! Hopefully they will fuel in Shannon.

Hi Foggy 43,

Like you say, they're all just applications, most of them are confirmed with the exception of the RAF as they only meet with the teams on Christmas week to discuss next years shows and the pilots have a big say as to where they go. Application to RAF was submitted in late August but the deadline was stretched to November this year.

As for re-fuelling, we're a fair bit off that already but we know the Irish lads would prefer Kerry even though the lads in Kerry said they could take the Red Arrows, we would prefer them to go to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

As sweet as the Red Arrows are, I'd be more impressed by an F-16 or a Typhoon.

Really liking how this airshow is progressing. Keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I have a suspicion I might be there too and I don't mean watching from the ground!:cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

nag wrote: »
    As sweet as the Red Arrows are, I'd be more impressed by an F-16 or a Typhoon.

Really liking how this airshow is progressing. Keep it up!

After watching the USAF Thunderbirds team with their F-16s at Galway, the Red Arrows are far more entertaining to watch. I don't know if it was the low cloud deck holding them back but the weather conditions improved greatly from the time of the excellent Typhoon solo to the Thunderbirds showing up, but they would have needed more visibility for their 6 jets and when they split into the 4 and 2 ship formations. Maybe that RNLAF team would be good too looking at their youtube vids.

The best display that year was the solo Typhoon followed by the Blades who are former Red Arrow pilots with their Extra 300s.

The two teams I'd love to see here would be the Russian Knights or Swifts, heck they even fly displays together sometimes. The Blue Angels are very entertaining to, far more ballsy than the Thunderbirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Tenger wrote: »
    Any application made to Aer Lingus? They will have their 1936 DH Dragon airworthy for next year,its their 75th birthday. Could be a neat little addition to the show.........

Anyone know the crew working on her? I presume Cpt Angelo cunningham is part of the crew i maybe wrong though.

Hope he has the scottish aviation bulldog at the show he does a nice display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Stovepipe of these very forums is one the Engineers working on the Dragon. I think Cpt. Paul Van Lonkhuzyen might well be one of the pilots. He flew it before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

and the pilots have a big say as to where they go.

That is and isnt true, in the RAF they first need approval from their own station Commander where they are based and then they can progress on in their routine working it more and more, The majority are simply told where they are going by their Superiors, it starts with you submitting an application etc then its down to whoever is in charge of what goes where to either send a letter back saying they will or will not be supporting your show.

The RAF in 2010 were only allowed visit certain shows when they had originally been placed at alot of shows they were simply told which ones they were going to be doing which left alot of UK and European AS Organisers with elither having slot time to fill or a shorter show.

Maybe that RNLAF team would be good too looking at their youtube vids.

Belgian Solo F-16 Display is far superior to the RNLAF F-16 Display, they have been intense rivals over the past few years as to who can throw an F-16 aound more than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I would say the chances of getting the Red Arrows next year are slim as they always do the Bournemouth Air Show which next year runs from the 18th to 21st of August, they set up base at Bournemouth Airport and also display at Shoreham which is on from the 20th to 21st August 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

I would have thought with the Queen probably visiting here in 2011 that getting the Red Arrows would be almost certain.

Good relations and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SkyFest Airshow

New website launched everyone:

http://www.skyfestairshow.com/

Also, on the Red Arrows, they won't be able to come this year as their hours have been cut by 500, still waiting to hear on the other RAF applications, should know within 3 weeks.

The date is also changed to Tuesday 23rd August - last day of festival due to another airshow in the UK during the weekend.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

In can't say I am surprised as up to 100 trainee RAF pilots face the sack tomorrow and a 25% reduction in trainees from now on. A total shock as it is out the door and no alternative employment within the defence forces.
    I hope your Fine Gael party don't copy our Torys on cutbacks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12445321

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Also, on the Red Arrows, they won't be able to come this year as their hours have been cut by 500,
    Regards,

Their display dates were released today and it looks like a full schedule to me....

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/displayinfo/displaydates.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

westdub wrote: »
    Their display dates were released today and it looks like a full schedule to me....

http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/displayinfo/displaydates.cfm

Jez 100 air shows thats the most I think I have seen on their website to date, a lot of overses trips this year. Tucano and Hawk display dates out as well

Tucano Dates
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/tucanodisplayteam/displayinfo/displaycalendar.cfm

Hawk Dates
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/hawkdisplayteam/displayprogramme/index.cfm

No luck with them displays
    I dont think we will ever again see what the Salthill Air Show had over the years, every display aircraft in the RAF appeared at Salthill . Reds,Tucano,Typhoon,Tornado,Harrier,Navy and Army Sea Kings,Merlin,Tutor.

Good luck with the show this year

Chicken1 wrote: »
    No luck with them displays
    I dont think we will ever again see what the Salthill Air Show had over the years

;) We did pull off some great stuff for ye..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

closed at op's request

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement