Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent watch?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Lads, I'm off to the army in the new year and the parents are looking to get me a decent watch that'll take some punishment in the field. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A vostok takes a fair bit of abuse, not sure how reliable they are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭paddycam

http://www.nitewatchshop.co.uk/sc/588/Nite-MX10-Watches.htm

Nite watches are fairly good.Bit pricy but top notch bit of kit.
    Have the sas one myself:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

You can't go wrong with a black G-Shock. Prices start at around €50 and go up to +€300. Nothing wrong with a basic one though.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2549129/Trail/searchtext%3EG-SHOCK.htm

If you want analogue, the current BA issue watch is the CWC G10
    http://www.cwcwatch.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

concussion wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with a black G-Shock. Prices start at around €50 and go up to +€300. Nothing wrong with a basic one though.

Have to agree with Concussion here, G-shock all the way. Does the job well, can hack the abuse, and should the worst happen, not too expensive to replace. Though, with all the lads I've served with using G-shocks, I've only seen one destroyed beyond repair, usually it's batteries and bands, nothing more.

Another advantage is you will not stand out from the crowd. Nobody wants to catch the eye of the training staff by having a €300-400 Sunto on their wrist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I use a Suunto Core, treated myself too one after I finished Recruit Training.

Hasn't let me down yet and I've put it through a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

A Damasko. It'll last the rest of your natural life. Pricey though - you should be able to get a DA-36 for under a grand new.

Edit-I agree with the above thet the G-Shock is a great practical watch for tough use. My suggestion is based on it being something a bit special, a momento that will survive army use, is totally practical, and something you could hand on to your kids.

Some pics:
    http://www.watchlounge.com/wbb3/wl/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1154750&7d5b5f53#post1154750

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Cant go wrong with a G-Shock Mudman http://www.redfingerprint.com/watches_detail.php/Casio_G-Shock/G-Shock_Mudman/G-9000-3VDR

I've had this thing years and has never let me down! The mudman is handy as does not get clogged with mud when your face down in the riverbed in kilbride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You can't go wrong with a black G-Shock.

+1.

I bought a G-Shock when I was out in Lebanon with the 63rd-64th (1988-1989) and not only is it still working, its still on its original battery!.

You really can't go wrong with a G-Shock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm going to be contrary, as usual, and suggest that you re-evaluate your criteria for a field watch.

Criterion #1 should not be "which is the toughest watch". It should be "Which watch will best tell me the time in the field?"

I realise that this is an unusual category for picking a watch, but really, what else is it for?

I will not consider a watch which does not have an analogue dial, with tritium (or similar glow-dimly-in-the-dark) indicators on the hands. No digital display has the same ability to allow you to see the time in low light conditions: You will almost always need to either use a flashlight, or hit the 'illuminate' button. You will be very surprised how far away you can see the 'indiglo' glow with the naked eye, let alone with an image intensifier. Even without the concerns of enemy observation, it's a lot easier just to twist your wrist for a quick glance instead of having to take your other hand off the rifle to push the 'illuminate' button. And, in most circumstance, a 'quick glance' to the level of 'to within a couple of minutes' is more than adequate than trying to actually read the digital numbers to determine if you're looking at an '5' or an '8'

However, digital displays certainly have their uses, particularly for timer functions. As a result, I will also not consider a watch which does not have a digital display. Fortunately, there are a number of watches which come with both, and that number increases regularly.

My previous watches have been Casios which have a main analogue face, with a small little digital display mounted underneath it. Currently, I'm using a Timex Ironman Triathalon, pretty much as follows:

T5E351.jpg

Nice thing about it is that the digital numbers are nice and big as they use the full watch face, but they can also be completely switched off by a single button press, leaving the watch with just the hands and a plain black background. Which looks a little more elegant for daily wear, and also doesn't distract you when you have no need for the digital information. Simplicity! Display only what you need to know, the less clutter the better. No disrespect to Duffman, but that Mudman is pretty much one of the last things I want as a field watch.

Then again, it could be worse. Binary, anyone?
    the-one-samui-moon-sm102g2-led-watch.jpg

When you've finally decided on a group of watches which will meet your own 'tell me the time' requirements, then move on to your other criteria, such as cost or durability to further narrow it down.

In my experience, the biggest 'killer' of watches isn't damage to the primary unit itself, it's the straps. That's my one big gripe with my current Ironman is that the strap is not replaceable. (On the other hand, it also means that there's no need to worry about the strap/unit interface, which is what killed my previous watch). Once you've sorted out the strap issue, then look at the durability of the unit itself.

Certainly, for example, there are G-Shocks which have dual displays and are otherwise very nice. Then it comes down to cost/benefit. I have never paid the money for a G-Shock, and I don't believe I've ever needed to. My first, a $40 Casio dual-screen, pretty much one of the cheapest out there, survived five months of tank school a full year combat deployment in Iraq, on tanks, and -then- 9 months in Afghanistan, though admittedly mainly doing desk work, without hassle. Gear gets quite a beating on a tank, trust me, between the vibrations and the impacts. Yes, I went through three straps over the 7 years, so total cost, $60, but the watch never stopped telling me the time. Seriously, just how badly are you planning on abusing your watch, and more importantly, the arm it's attached to?

Then you also have to worry about the fact that there are some incidents that will kill any watch, not matter how shock-proof it is, and a replacement will need to be purchased. I've not personally encountered one yet, but I can certainly envision them.

Do not be swayed by cool features which are of little to no use to you. My tank has a maximum operating depth of about 1.5 meters. My watch's ability to work at 100m is, well, pretty irrelevant. Similarly an altimeter function is pretty useless for military purposes. Most (All?) will give you Pressure Altitude, which can vary from true altitude rather dramatically. And what are you going to do with the information anyway? If calling for fire, you want to be accurate, not 'to within a couple of hundred feet.' Your military issue map will give you a better indicator. And so on. My watch is for time-related functions only!

Finally, consider the possibility of 'buying disposable'. Paying $40 for a watch which tells you the time well, whilst knowing that you will likely have to replace it in 5 years, may still prove to be cheaper in the long run than a $200 watch which will last you ten years.

Hope I've given you some food for thought.

NTM

There is a watch forum somewhere on Boards, so perhaps you might ask the question there? As I said, the Timex and the G-Shocks are fantastically durable, practical watches. My suggestion of the Damasko was for something that's a bit special, could become a family heirloom, but super-tough at the same time.

You might get other ideas if you ask the idea of the watch experts :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Found it after a lengthy search. It's under 'Science' for some bizarre reason.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1175

I may question their ability to correctly evaluate tactical suitability, however.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Poccington wrote: »
    I use a Suunto Core, treated myself too one after I finished Recruit Training.

Hasn't let me down yet and I've put it through a fair bit.

And I thought I was the only Suunto head around here! Hows the battery life?

X Lander myself... It even tells the time! :)
    Best watch I ever owned was Citizen I bought from Argos!!! Its still going strong.

Found it after a lengthy search. It's under 'Science' for some bizarre reason.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1175

I may question their ability to correctly evaluate tactical suitability, however.

NTM
    You'd be surprised. You don't have to be a formula one driver to recommend a decent fast car if you're a petrolhead :) - some watch collectors are extremely knowledgeable about militaria. On the other hand, if sheer 100% practicality is what the OP is after, rather than something special/interesting/nice, then he can't do better than a G-Shock/Ironman type watch anyway and he's got his answer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Another watch brand I would suggest looking at is http://www.traserh3watches.com/en/home/index.php

I have the "Code Blue" for the past 6/7 years and it hasnt let me down yet. I like the fact you dont have to push a button to see the time as night as the hands glow all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dahamster

discus wrote: »
    Lads, I'm off to the army in the new year and the parents are looking to get me a decent watch that'll take some punishment in the field. Any suggestions?

In recruit training your time is not your own:D. Why not buy a cheap 5 euro one from argos for the period, then you won't care if it gets broken/stolen etc.

You can buy yourself a nice one as a reward for 2-3 star training ( or senior cadet class) when you might get better use from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Another watch brand I would suggest looking at is http://www.traserh3watches.com/en/home/index.php

I have the "Code Blue" for the past 6/7 years and it hasnt let me down yet. I like the fact you dont have to push a button to see the time as night as the hands glow all the time.

I have to say the opposite about Traser. I've had this one for a couple of years now, and it's failed twice. The first time it stopped was within a week of receiving it. The second time was earlier this year. The first time was covered by warranty, but the second time involved an expensive trip to the dealer in the UK.

The hands are very bright, though.

dahamster wrote: »
    In recruit training your time is not your own:D. Why not buy a cheap 5 euro one from argos for the period, then you won't care if it gets broken/stolen etc.

You can buy yourself a nice one as a reward for 2-3 star training ( or senior cadet class) when you might get better use from it.

Those eighties style Casio watches that sell for under €10 are pretty much bombproof, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I have a traser also, funnily enough mine stopped within a week of getting it, I dropped it on a tiled floor and it stopped.

It was repaired under warranty of course.

It loses a few minutes every month aswell, not the end of the world, but after forking out the extra few quid for the one with the lithium battery its a bit dissapointing.

Another slightly annoying thing is that it never sits right on my wrist.

Moral of the story, should of bought a G-Shock!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I had the Ironman and was really disappointed with it, I thought the quality quite poor. But I agree with Manic Moran on his criteria. However, being on the bridge of a ship in complete darkness with the need to keep an eye on time, I've yet to see a tritium feature that will last for 6 hours +. To me the G Shock looks like a brick out house but also looks so complicated and fussy. Accuracy of time keeping is incredibly important (and a simple request or so you would think).

I have had great success and use out of my Animal watch and am impressed with both the time keeping qualities as well as the tritium ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Dyflin wrote: »
    I've yet to see a tritium feature that will last for 6 hours +.

Tritium is radioluminescent, so it'll glow for 6+ years. You must have had some kind of glow in the dark painted hands, which is what you generally find on cheaper watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

UZI watches are supposed to be tough, are tritrium , and simply tell the time without all the bells and whistles. They're made by Smith and Wesson so S&M are another watch to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

was looking at the Luminox Navy Seals type watch, not necessarily for an army use but also just for day to day stuff as well. Looks good but it does have that whole "navy seals" title...not looking to be a fanboy...but then again, if the watch is good...

luminox-blackout-seal-diving-watch.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

Dyflin wrote: »
    I had the Ironman and was really disappointed with it, I thought the quality quite poor. But I agree with Manic Moran on his criteria. However, being on the bridge of a ship in complete darkness with the need to keep an eye on time, I've yet to see a tritium feature that will last for 6 hours +. To me the G Shock looks like a brick out house but also looks so complicated and fussy. Accuracy of time keeping is incredibly important (and a simple request or so you would think).

I have had great success and use out of my Animal watch and am impressed with both the time keeping qualities as well as the tritium ability.

The G-shock is a "Military Watch" designed for all types of outdoor activity ...I had various types of analogue watches, and they have let me down out in the field..

I now have a G-shock Riseman.. Which is a solar powered, atomic clock alti and barometer.. FYI who doesn't know what the atomic clock means, is it is updated automatically every night from various atomic clock locations around the world.. Once its set it automatically changes time when you change time zones and winter/summer time.. It can also be set to have the illumination come on automatically when you move your wrist 90 degrees so you dont have to keep pressing the button at night to see the time.

What happens when you have to snyc watches and the i/c doesn't have an atomic watch? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭BuckJamesRogers

What happens when you have to snyc watches and the i/c doesn't have an atomic watch? :p

"The awkwardness when the i/c doesn't have an atomic watch" :D

They sync to yours ;)

Which is fine, unless they've synched off their i/c - someone give the Bn. CO an atomic watch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I now have a G-shock Riseman.. Which is a solar powered, atomic clock alti and barometer..

Good review, and nice looking watch.. How much is that retailing for here?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

The only atomic clock people should worry about is the CS. He will tell you if you are on time:eek::eek:

Good review, and nice looking watch.. How much is that retailing for here?.

€250..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Sync phones obviously,its about time the Army got with the times tbh! :p

Advertisement