Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map of Metal

Options
  • 05-12-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing that it's getting quite hard (well, for me) to keep up with the genres nowadays I give you this. The Map of Metal!

Takes a while to load but I think it's well worth it.

Also I do try to steer clear of labelling bands, but it's the only way to explain what they sound like/where they're coming from.

Personally I like doing the "they sound like x mixed with y with a little z thrown in."

http://mapofmetal.com/#/home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Bloody hell you're right about it taking ages to load. I clicked on it, waited for a bit, then typed out this post and I'm still waiting!

Edit: Okay it's loaded. The first big black mark is the fact that it autoplays music. I hate that with a passion as most of the time I'm already listening to music through the computer and depending on what I've been doing the volume could be way up or way down and it's really annoying to have to unexpectedly reach for the volume control and sort it out.

With that said it looks like a handy resource for anyone looking to keep up to date with genres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Patience my dear Malice_! :p

chin_grin wrote: »
    Patience my dear Malice_! :p
    Sorry :)

Goes back grumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

am waiting too :)

...know what you mean malice, i've been in bed after a we listen on the pc controlling the volumw in vlc or whatever gone to bed and been awoken by
    AVAST HAS BEEN UPDATED!!:(

am waiting too :)

...know what you mean malice, i've been in bed after a we listen on the pc controlling the volumw in vlc or whatever gone to bed and been awoken by AVAST HAS BEEN UPDATED!!:(

<nerd cough>Microsoft Security Essentials</nerd cough> :cool:

Yeah I think it takes an AGE to load because it streams a few songs for each genre. You'll have to manually click on a song to get it playing as it'll continue the one from the last category you were in.

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    <nerd cough>Microsoft Security Essentials</nerd cough> :cool:
    At least you didn't say AVG, then I'd have had to have words with you :). I find a combination of Avast, Malware Bytes Anti Malware and a solid dose of common sense works for me when it comes to virus and malware protection. I've never used MS Security Essentials.

Now, where was I? Ah yes, to turn off the sounds in Avast, right-click on the menu in the System Tray and select "Open Avast! User Interface" from the menu. On the top-right of the window click Settings. On the next screen click Sounds (it's the fourth option from the bottom on the left menu). I find it simplest to just uncheck the option labelled "Enable Avast! Sounds" but you might like to keep some of the sounds. I am assuming you're running the latest version of Avast (it changed from a blue tray icon to an orange one).

Apologies for going wildly off-topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

yeah enjoyed that link chin grin,

thanks for the tip malice, there's only so many more almighty frights my heart can take...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

i want to live in that area of the map where sludge/stoner/doom and death all meet up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Interesting concept and a fun one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Awesome website that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Fantastic website. Well worth enduring the loading times for. I enjoyed listening to Diary Of a Madman while exploring the Metal world, and found it strangely fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

deathrider wrote: »
    Fantastic website. Well worth enduring the loading times for. I enjoyed listening to Diary Of a Madman while exploring the Metal world, and found it strangely fitting.

Horrible website. 20mins and only 4%. Makes me very mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Really? It only took a minute or two for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Jaysus this is taking a while... Been at 4% for a couple of minutes now. I don't mind though, I can browse in the meantime.

Edit: Done after 3/4 minutes. Not bad, now lets take a look at this bad boy!!!

Jem_ wrote: »
    Horrible website. 20mins and only 4%. Makes me very mad.

Wait until you cilck on Grindcore. HUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLK RAAAAAAAAAAGE! ;)

I love a bit of grindcore, me.

Advertisement