Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Pit 6 - ride-the-spiral

Options
  • 20-11-2010 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest In The Pit. The next victim volunteer on the list is ride-the-spiral.

A quick recap of the rules:
    1. Questions should be Rock & Metal related although some leeway is allowed (nedtheshed).
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to and as moderator I suppose I'll have the final say if something is appropriate or not.
    3. Don't discuss any of the answers on the thread and only the poster should be answering the questions.

Hopefully that's clear enough so let the questions commence...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place and what keeps you interested in it?
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?
    What album do you feel had the greatest impact on you?
    Where did your username come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

What's your favourite era in rock/metal?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What has been your favourite album out this year?

What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

What other sections of boards do you frequent?

Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Malice_ wrote: »
    What got you into Rock & Metal in the first place

Well I can remember liking Green Day when I was 12, and then I remember my brother was always listening to Radiohead, so via him I got quite big into them, and then through him also I got into Tool. For a while I was basically just listening to Radiohead, Muse and Tool, but then when I was 14 I started listening to In Flames and other "entry level" metal, Metallica, Trivium etc... Until I was 16 that was most of what I listened to, also to alot of post rock like Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky. So what got me into rock was Radiohead, and In Flames were the main band that got me into metal, both because of my brother.
    How did you come across the Rock & Metal forum on Boards?

I just remember being told to go to boards after a problem with my 3v card and I started browsing Rock & Metal & After Hours and the like.
    What keeps you coming back to the forum?

I guess I find it to be alot friendlier, people are alot more respective for other peoples opinions and tastes, and also the fact that it's a small forum for anything that can be called Rock or Metal it leaves out the absurd genre debates.
    What do you do when you're not rocking out?

Apart from studying for the Leaving ( :( ) I spend time with my friends and girlfriend, I've also been watching alot of House lately, and watch whatever films might be on. I'm a bit of a gamer too but haven't really been playing anything over the last few months. Sometimes I'll read a bit, mainly science books though, currently re-reading Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman.
    What album do you feel had the most impact on you?

Definitely Colors by Between the Buried and Me. It's essentially a progressive metalcore album, with a hell of a lot of other genres and sounds in their with it. I first heard it about three years ago (Didn't like it until about 2 years ago) but it's still my favourite album ever. When I heard it I was mainly listening to Melodeath and Metalcore and was getting quite bored of them, and then when it finally clicked with me, I found myself looking up new bands all the time after it, as if there was this whole side of metal which I had ignored. I constantly sing its praise, but I think everybody should at least try Colors.

Where did your username come from?

Lateralus by Tool, "Ride the spiral to the end we may just go where noones been"

Denny M wrote: »
    What has been your favourite album out this year?

This year didn't really excite me as much as the last three years to be honest, there's been alot of very good albums but nothing which really struck me as amazing. But probably Ecailles de Lune by Alcest. That being said I still have to give some albums a proper listen.
    What was your first big name rock/metal gig you attended?

Radiohead in Marlay Park in 2006. Was my first gig anyway.
    What band/artist in rock/metal can you not stand the most? (not over-rated, actually hate)

Hard question... Hate is such a strong word and it's sort of hard to hate a band unless you're hearing their music all the time, which sort of leads into the over-rated thing I guess so I suppose I'll just go with hate. Sunn O))) and Portal are pretty damn annoying. I know that they're trying to set an atmospher and all that jazz but it just bores the crap out of me.
    What other sections of boards do you frequent?

I tend to go to After Hours, but to be honest I don't like the board that much. I'm also on the LC forum a good bit, and the Maths and Phys/Chem, I'm mainly a lurker though.
    Do you prefer rock or metal, and which sub-genre of them is your favorite?

Definitely prefer metal. Hard for me to pick my favourite sub-genre though, but my favourite bands come from Metalcore, Prog Death Metal and Post-metal.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    What's your favourite era in rock/metal?

Definitely the 2000s. There hasn't been any decline in this decade for any genre which I like, and alot of the new movements such as Metalcore and Post-metal have some of my favourite bands. I think this decade get's a bad rep, and if you look past what's on Kerrang and whatever t-shirts you might see in temple bar then there really is a hoard of great music on offer. Also the fact that people can record their own music alot easier has given great acts like Cloudkicker and Periphery to become well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

Nailz wrote: »
    If you could form a Super-group of 4/5/6 DEAD Rock & Metal musicians, who'd be in it and what would it be called?

Tough one... Mainly because almost all of my favourite bands are alive. :o

Chuck Shuldiner - Guitar and Vocals (Death)
    Rhandy Roads - Guitar (I ran out of people...)
    Roger Patterson - Bass (Atheist)
    Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka - Drums (Decapitated)
    If you could play a (new) instrument instantly what would that be and what song would you love to be able to play instantly on that instrument? Keep it in the boundaries of heavy music.

I'd love to be able to play the drums. In terms of any song i'd love to be able to play, either Bleed by Meshuggah, or maybe Slit Your Guts by Cryptopsy
    Damageplan or Superjoint Ritual?

Neither tbh. I've always found Pantera to be one of the most overrated bands in the history of metal so I've never had any compulsion to listen to any side projects or whatever of their members, but based entirely on their genre description I'd probably prefer Superjoint Ritual because apparently they have a hardcore and black metal influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Most Under-rated band?
    one of the most under-rated albums you think?
    Is there any musician in the rock/metal world that you think can do no wrong and you love everything they do?

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Most Under-rated band?

Another hard question... It depends whether I take under-rated as band that's not well known enough, or a band that's actually described as bad but I think shuoldn't be, but then with that for whatever person says they're good there'll be people saying they're bad. I'm gonna go with the former for simplicity's sake and pick Andorran death metal band Persefone.
    one of the most under-rated albums you think?

A bit unsure about what I would pick here too... Maybe The Way of All Flesh by Gojira?
    Is there any musician in the rock/metal world that you think can do no wrong and you love everything they do?

I can't say I would love everything (Re-Traced is mainly the reason for that) but between both Cynic albums, the Portal demo, Aeon Spoke and his work with Death, I would say Paul Masvidal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

Hello ride-the-spiral. I hope you're well and I'll say thanks for the Colors recommendation which I noticed in the "Album of the Week" thread a few months ago (pity that thread ended, t'was a good source for quality material).

Out of curiosity, and in homage to your username, could you pick one of these choices?

a) Lateralus
    b) Mer de Noms
    c) 10,000 Days
    d) Thirteenth Step
    e) Some other Maynard creation
    f) None of the above
    g) How can I choose an answer with no direct question?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is there any genre/sub-genre you particularly hate?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Fave album artwork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

IYO,what is the heaviest album you have ever heard?

Hello ride-the-spiral. I hope you're well and I'll say thanks for the Colors recommendation which I noticed in the "Album of the Week" thread a few months ago (pity that thread ended, t'was a good source for quality material).

Out of curiosity, and in homage to your username, could you pick one of these choices?

a) Lateralus
    b) Mer de Noms
    c) 10,000 Days
    d) Thirteenth Step
    e) Some other Maynard creation
    f) None of the above
    g) How can I choose an answer with no direct question?

'Twas :( Perhaps it will return someday...

And first I'd go with choice g... But I'll pick Lateralus, man I loved that album so much when I was 14 or 15, I can still listen to it and although it's lost that ."Oh my god best album ever" feel that it used to have, it's still great.

Is there any genre/sub-genre you particularly hate?

Not really sure tbh... Nu metal's never really done anything for me, wouldn't say I hate it though. Maybe Punk actually, bit weird because I like the heavier side of Hardcore but between the music and the "culture" It's always just annoyed me.

Fave album artwork?

Ha tough one :D I do love that intricate sort of artwork.

cynic_-_traced_in_air.jpg

planetary-duality.jpg

But I also like stuff like this.

lantlos_neon.jpg

That's Neon by Lantlos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Fave album artwork?

Ha tough one :D I do love that intricate sort of artwork.

cynic_-_traced_in_air.jpg

planetary-duality.jpg

But I also like stuff like this.

lantlos_neon.jpg

That's Neon by Lantlos

Good choices, esp. Cynic and the last one.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Do you like any other musical genres outside of rock/metal?

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do you like any other musical genres outside of rock/metal?

Not really to be honest. I mainly listen to Metal, Post-rock and alt rock, and anything else I do like I don't actively listen to really. I don't mind some of the electronic stuff that I hear my brother play around the house sometimes, and on the rare occasion I listen to a bit of classical but it's been a while since i've done that. I've tried blues and jazz and it didn't interest me at all.

I don't really have a wide taste in music outside of rock and metal to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

You ignorin my question R-T-S? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

I see your brother is very influential person so now what he's listening to?

• Advertisement

nedtheshed wrote: »
    IYO,what is the heaviest album you have ever heard?

Many apologies Mr.shed! Had to do with the end of page 1...

'Tis a hard question, as heaviness can mean different things, or there can be different types of heaviness so it's hard to choose one.

I'm gonna go with Converge's Forever Come Crashing because it's heavy in terms of speed and overall expression of aggression.

But of course there are other aspects that are heavy that i'm deliberately leaving out, partly because I find it alot harder to explain what feels heavy about them. Hence why I didn't really go for Meshuggah, Obscura, Cryptopsy, or deathcore bands.

Jem_ wrote: »
    I see your brother is very influential person so now what he's listening to?

Aw man he goes all over the place with what he listens to. He doesn't play any instrument whereas I play guitar so that steers alot of my musical direction. He listens to alot of Black Metal, Dubstep, IDM, a load of other electronic genres I can't remember the name of, bit of Classical, bit of Post-rock. It's strange that I heard the bands that rooted my taste in Rock and Metal, but he hasn't really listened to them in a good few years. Predominately he goes between phases of Black Metal and Electronic, and not much in between.

I think at the moment he's mainly playing movie soundtracks, Inception especially.

Any more questions folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

You are captured by aliens and have to pick one album that defines "metal". What album do you pick?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    You are captured by aliens and have to pick one album that defines "metal". What album do you pick?

Damn, very tough one. I don't really listen to any of the classics much, and they would be the ones that would really define metal. I'd be fooling myself to pick some metalcore or post-metal band just because I like them. I guess I'd pick Scream Bloody Gore by Death. Mainly representative of death metal obviously, but that's the most important "true" genre of metal to my ears. I think due to the influence that it had and the bands that came after it, it would hold up pretty well as a definition of metal.

Alternatively I'd pick Thriller by Michael Jackson, just so the aliens would look silly when talking about metal to any other humans, I'd like to see them try world domination after such a traumatic experience. I'm an evil bastard really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Are there any bands that you simply cannot stand? For any reason; their sound, look, attitude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jem_

Any more questions folks?

My Very Last Question: Who's the next??

We have twenty more victims and one week is only seven days Malice what's wrong with your calendar? :D

Jem_ wrote: »
    My Very Last Question: Who's the next??

We have twenty more victims and one week is only seven days Malice what's wrong with your calendar? :D
    There's nothing wrong with my calendar. Today is the eleventy-first of Octember right?

Seriously though, I don't operate these threads on a strict time allocation. Once there's no activity on them for a few days I move on to the next person. The whole list can be found here. There are probably a few people that need to be added to it but we have enough posters to keep us going for a while.

Just in case ride-the-spiral misses it we still have this question to answer:
    Jako8 wrote: »
    Are there any bands that you simply cannot stand? For any reason; their sound, look, attitude...

deathrider if you want to take part put your name down here and you'll get a thread of your very own.

• Advertisement

Jako8 wrote: »

Well the good thing is that most bands I can successfully avoid if I hate their music, but the way some bands act really annoys me. I hate bands like Avenged Sevenfold with their stupid tuff guy attitude, also hate that whole "METAL **** YEAH" thing that bands like Slayer have perpetuated. One thing I absolutely abhor bands doing is preaching, whether it be about some cause or most annoying of all, their own stupid "philosophy" about life. They're meant to be musicians, if they want to express something it suits everyone to have it expressed in song rather than a speech at a gig or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement