Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easyjet to Dublin - ever?

Options
  • 17-11-2010 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

With the opening of Terminal 2, is it possible that other carriers will be able to fly to Dublin?

Where I am living, over the last 1.5 years, it has become more and more difficult to get to Dublin. Ryanair stopped flying to the 2 airports near me, and Aer Lingus have culled flights from Zurich.

Easyjet have flights out of my local airport, so they would be the most likely to have a direct flight to Dublin.

I'm surprised Easyjet don't fly to Dublin already, but I am sure there is a good reason why.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

bw wrote: »

I'm surprised Easyjet don't fly to Dublin already, but I am sure there is a good reason why.....

The reason is called Ryanair.
    Easy flying to Dublin would result in Ryanair piling on to that route and offering every seat virtually for free until Easy dropped it .

Easy and Ryanair dont compete on many routes relative to the size of their route networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

bladeruner wrote: »
    The reason is called Ryanair.
    Easy flying to Dublin would result in Ryanair piling on to that route and offering every seat virtually for free until Easy dropped it .
    Ryanair did this to EX when they started ops out Cork. They swamped the market with flights and 0.00 fares. EZ couldn't compete so pulled out. FR when back to their pervious frequency and fares.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Go, as it was before it was bought by easyJet, tried Dublin. Ryanair slaughtered them.

easyJet tried on Cork, Knock and Shannon and got slaughtered. I doubt they would even think about Dublin to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Think of a territorial animal like a Lion or a mutated Sea Bass and multiply that by 10
    --> Micheal O'Leary...

I knew it was Ryanair doing the blocking, however with the second Terminal, I thought there might be room for improvement, plus EasyJet are fairly strong these days, so I thought they could hold their own in moving into Ireland.

Wishful thinking really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bladeruner

I honestly dont think strength comes into in to it .

Ryanair would cut their own throats and take irrational losses to keep Easyjet out .
    Its a psychological thing I suppose.
    Fortress Ireland.....soon to be Atlantis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I remember when the likes of GO started operations here as one of the other lads posted FR wiped them out of it the only way you will get an a EZY flight is to goto BFS.:D
    Sure EI use to fly into STN only to be lashed out of it by FR eventually.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ryanair would cut their own throats and take irrational losses to keep Easyjet out .
    Its a psychological thing I suppose.
    Look at what they did to Aer Arann. FR underbof them on the DUB-KIR route from them purely to prevent the PSO subsidy (which I don't think should be there) going to RE. If RE needed a subsidy to operate this route with a 70 seat turboprop, how much of a loss are FR making with a 189 seater B738?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

The OP mentioned AER LINGUS too by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

chucken1 wrote: »
    The OP mentioned AER LINGUS too by the way!
    Ok lets ignore the FR presence in DUB completely.

With just EI as competition I could not see EZ trying to break into the DUB market. they are the entranched carrier, offering dozens of destination from DUB many with multiple frequencies per day. For EZ to commence ops out of DUB would be as big a gamble as say, EI starting ops out of LGW (Oh look! that did happen, hows that going!!) The EI base in LGW has been rapidly scaled back as it was too hard to start up against the 'resident' airline. To do so you would need to go in massively so you can offer a viable alternative to the DUB carriers. To me this means more than 4-5 routes per day.

While EI would 'probably' not do the dirty tricks previously shown by FR they would be very aggressive in protecting 'their' market. (Remember how aggressive BA have been towards Virgin at LHR in the past?)

So the reasons EZ will most probably never operate out of DUB are the presence of FR AND EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Dacian wrote: »
    Ok lets ignore the FR presence in DUB completely.

With just EI as competition I could not see EZ trying to break into the DUB market. they are the entranched carrier, offering dozens of destination from DUB many with multiple frequencies per day. For EZ to commence ops out of DUB would be as big a gamble as say, EI starting ops out of LGW (Oh look! that did happen, hows that going!!) The EI base in LGW has been rapidly scaled back as it was too hard to start up against the 'resident' airline. To do so you would need to go in massively so you can offer a viable alternative to the DUB carriers. To me this means more than 4-5 routes per day.

While EI would 'probably' not do the dirty tricks previously shown by FR they would be very aggressive in protecting 'their' market. (Remember how aggressive BA have been towards Virgin at LHR in the past?)

So the reasons EZ will most probably never operate out of DUB are the presence of FR AND EI.

Agree but I'd say they are not looking past FR, they know what FR can do and that is enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement