Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow Raider, ran aground.

Options
  • 17-11-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Heres a few photos i took of the ship the Arklow Raider which ran aground last night in the gales leaving the river Boyne from Drogheda port.
    Was some site seeing it beached up with the tide out, loads of waves crashing up over it.:D

Picture121.jpg

Picture124.jpg

Picture119.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Great pictures skipz, is she aground on sand or rocks if its on rocks she could have some damage to her hull.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Great pictures skipz, is she aground on sand or rocks if its on rocks she could have some damage to her hull.

Thanks,
    She's up on sand in shallow water, so id say the hull is ok. All crew are still on board, could see two of them walking around when i was down at it earlier.
    She's fully loaded with cement and was bond for Swansea, i think their next window to get her out is at high tide tonight at 8.45 but i dont think it will happen with it being still rough and in shallow water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Follow her progress (or lack of :pac:) here
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Great Pics !!

Dyflin wrote: »
    Follow her progress (or lack of :pac:) here
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Yeah great web site, check my other pictures out at that website under photographer Jph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Was listening to him chatting away to the coast guard on the Dundalk Amateur Radio link someone posted on the main weather board earlier this morning.
    http://ei7dar.com/ais.html

He was saying at that time that the hull wasn't damaged at all, no pollution out nor water coming in. He seemed quite resigned to that fact that they could be stuck there for some while.

Thanks for the pics!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

She's on her way now, heading south passed Skerries.

Su Campu wrote: »
    She's on her way now, heading south passed Skerries.

No she's still aground, think that ship your talking about is the Scot pioneer that has left Drogheda port with the hide tide.
    Must have taken it easy this time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Oops, you're right! I was looking at Arklow Flair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In 1975 a small coal carrier called "The Michael" was crashed into Tramore strand during a storm, they never got it lifted and over the years quietly rotted away. I have a picture somewhere of me standing under the bow with its name above me. :)

Here's another one from 1991 just by Bunmahon

2679726599_cb2eeaccec.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Tug "Husky" bust his tow rope this morning. Still no movement, try again tonight at 20:00
    Full comms here http://ei7dar.com/ais.html

If you look at their AIS track history they do seem to have moved here a little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Currently the weather is calm, conditions good for the tugs to get closer to the Arklow Raider. At the moment there is a dredger beside her with the tug, perhaps dredging the sand on either side in an effort to re-float her.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

mike65 wrote: »
    In 1975 a small coal carrier called "The Michael" was crashed into Tramore strand during a storm, they never got it lifted and over the years quietly rotted away. I have a picture somewhere of me standing under the bow with its name above me. :)

Here's another one from 1991 just by Bunmahon

2679726599_cb2eeaccec.jpg

I remember the Gladonia went aground on Tramore beach back in the nineties, it was mad being able to walk around it....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Great pictures. I hope that with the higher tidal range as we approach full moon (on Sunday 21st) they will meet with success and get the ship moving, at least the weather looks relatively co-operative tonight and Friday.

Currently the weather is calm, conditions good for the tugs to get closer to the Arklow Raider. At the moment there is a dredger beside her with the tug, perhaps dredging the sand on either side in an effort to re-float her.

Yeah see the dredger on the AIS. Was down again today and it looked like the Arkow raider was stuck more than yesterday!
    Tugs must be small as it has no AIS on screen.
    They also sent the Arklow fame on to Greenore which was due to dock in Drogheda tonight.

Is it just me, or does she appear to have disappeared?

Not showing up on the map, nor in the vessel list?

Hopefully just a glitch :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭madzers

arklow fame up by carlingford lough on the ais?? and it looks like the lough foyle is heading down the boyne ,anyone know is she free

His AIS transponder seems to have been switched off or he has lost power, it is illegal for him to switch his AIS off so I presume he has technical difficulties:eek:

Dublin CG will try and contact him by mobile to find out I would say

After checking through logs he Seems to have dropped off AIS and comms went dead mid sentence, must have lost power,

• Advertisement

Arklow Raider back up on AIS still at the mouth of the boyne take it they had no luck tonight,

Big tug over from Liverpool today http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=232003843

Having breakfast now and going to head out with the camera for a few snaps of the action;)

madzers wrote: »
    Arklow Raider back up on AIS still at the mouth of the boyne take it they had no luck tonight,

Not showing for me, she must have gone offline again :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

mac80 wrote: »
    His AIS transponder seems to have been switched off or he has lost power, it is illegal for him to switch his AIS off so I presume he has technical difficulties:eek:

It's actually not illegal to switch off your AIS, you just have to have a damn good reason to do so and contact the local CG to let them know why.

Eg. very common to switch off AIS when transiting pirate infested waters etc.

Just some info on AIS from the Nautical Institute

Only vessels under International SOLAS regulation are required to broadcast Class A AIS signals. If you are under SOLAS regulation you may not turn off your signal. AIS is not required in Inland waters except under national regulations.

For Class B AIS you may want to review the following:

This talks about the ineffectiveness of using Class B Transponders for avoiding collisions. It essentially places these units in doubt based on a collision this past June with a Bulk Carrier and a yacht. Both vessels were not providing a proper lookout and the bulk carrier failed to render assistance. The yacht skipper was dismasted and he was able to recover the mast and cut away the head sail and motor back to port.

Since your yacht is not required to broadcast AIS signals the use of them in not mandatory. There is regulations stating that if you install and AIS transponder you are required to use it. Should you have a collision and are not broadcasting it could be considered a violation.

Having an AIS receiver is of substantial value but the use of transponders to warn other vessels of your location is not so clear cut. Your obligation to maintain watch and augmented radar visibility is not reduced by broadcasting AIS. While it might aid in your visibility is is not a means to place the obligation totally on the other vessel.

If you have security concerns about divulging your position the range of AIS is no greater than VHF signal propagation. If you are in areas where you might require a higher attention to security you would normally be farther off shore than VHF transmission range any way.

Also note Military ships are NOT required to broadcast AIS and I would think in areas where you might want yours off they would certainly have theirs off.

AIS has it's positive uses but it really does not change the game very much for a small boat. You still have to do all the things you would as if you had no AIS. The times when you might be concerned for your own security would also correlate to the areas where having a signal to identify yourself would also avoid a collision.

Well, unsucessful this morning with the attemp to free the Arklow raider.
    When i arrived down the tide was heading out and the tug Oakgrath had headed out to sea to wait for the next hight tide.
    Heres a few photo's of what i saw.

Picture130.jpg
    You can see to the right some of the crew in the ships lifeboat checking out the ship.

Picture127.jpg
    Still stuck and the dredger Lough Foyle at work near by.

Picture126.jpg
    The tug boat Oakgrath waiting for next high tide and a navy ship, dont know which one??, training with Gormanstown Army camp. Shooting off live rounds into the sea.

Picture132.jpg
    The dredger Lough Foyle heading up the Boyne to Drogheda port before the tide goes out.

Brilliant pictures skipz, thanks very much for keeping us updated its very interesting, hopefully you can you post some more of the on going action.

Regards
    Storm 10

Only vessels under International SOLAS regulation are required to broadcast Class A AIS signals. If you are under SOLAS regulation you may not turn off your signal. AIS is not required in Inland waters except under national regulations.

We're getting way off track here and apologies OP, but to back up what I was saying with actual statute, Resolution A.917(22) from the International Maritime Organisation (to which Ireland is a signatory), paragraph 21 clearly states that the AIS may be switched off under certain conditions.

link

Having had the (very) dubious pleasure of being in pirated seas myself, it is most certainly one of many prudent thing to do to limit your exposure.

Back OT, great pics OP, please keep them coming. :cool:

• Advertisement

Was out looking at her at 3pm there was a fella over the side of her checking for damage ,also heard on the vhf the skipper talking to the tug boat from liverpool about them takeing it out tonight and if they do towing her to dublin

Advertisement