Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead

Options
  • 29-05-2008 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm not really a comic fan, used to be in the younger years but more so the War Stories comics and stuff. I borrowed this off a friend - book one - and absolutely loved it. Are there other notable zombie comics I should keep an eye out for? Thanks in advance.

PS - I used to read Ninjak and Eternal Warrior by Valiant. Are those still around? I read Acclaim bought them out or something, but no idea what happened them.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I had a thread on this in the horror forum aaaaaaaaaages ago, but there's probably been a few things since. Crawl Space : XXXombies is one that comes to mind, along with Warren Ellis's two BlackGas series (and his Strange Kisses: Necromancer miniseries as well, for that matter).

There's a whole bunch of Marvel Zombies comics but personally I thought they were dreck, a cute idea dragged on far too long. I think they even crossed over with the Army of Darkness comics at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Marvel Zombies Suck donkeys!!! Oh man that series was so painful to read and I had such high hopes for it!

Walking dead I adore! Its on book 7 now? Actually I think book 8...must get to comic store this weekend!

I havent come across many other zombie comics worth a mention though so let me know if you find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Dead @ 17 written and drawn by Josh Howard, published by Viper comics is very good. Its about a 17 year old girl that gets killed by zombies but comes back not as a zombie but a zombie-killer. Theres been several 4 issue mini series over the last 3 or 4 years. I'm sure they're available in trade paperback form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.avatarpress.net/v/blackgas/
    Warren Ellis Blackgas

A tiny little island off the East Coast of America, that sits on its own tiny little fault in the underlying tectonic plate. An odd little history ignored by almost everyone. Until the night of the big storm, and the creak in the fault line, and the release of something foul from the earth's guts, blown across the little town on Smoky Island. And the only two people on the island who were outside its reach are now trapped on a black spit of rock with a population who aren't people anymore.

They started eating each other an hour ago.

It pulls no punches with full page panels of the neo natal care nurses eating the babies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I read most of the first BlackGas series and it was pretty good, I liked his idea of having people retain their intelligence and ability to communicate as they went through the transformation from human to zombie. I didn't read the second series, but I think there's a trade collecting both series out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 chebbo

Accent UK have published an excellent anthology book simply entitled "Zombies". Some of the UK's best artists have submitted work, and the stories are refreshingly original for the most part.

Shane
    www.smallzone.co.uk (you can buy it here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just had to say I read Black Gas and was extremely disappointed - incredibly poor and boring, though the artwork was brutally fantastic, it's one redeeming quality.

Out of curiosity, was it the first or the second series (or both) that you read?

It occurs to me that Simon Dark might count as a zombie comic - it's a DC series about a Frankenstein-type "patchwork man". Can't tell you more as I haven't read it myself, but I think there's a collection of the first six issues due in a month or two, so it might be worth having a look at.

Beyond that, I'm not sure if there are any other new zombie comics out there. I get the feeling that the zombie boom is over, or has at least peaked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Bob Fingerman's Recess Pieces comes to mind, sort of Mad Magazine with zombies.Don't be fooled by the cartoon style, plenty gory. Review here. Preview here.

Jason's The living and the Dead is a whimsical zombie comedy. If your familiar with his stuff you know what to expect otherwise might be a good starting off point. Review here.

Almost forgot, Daybreak by Brian Ralph, an amazing zombie survival story. Read it online here, the archive is pretty clunky and hard to search so you might want to buy the first issue. It is an ongoing title so don't expect the story to end anytime soon. Great review by Spurgeon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

thanks for those. I read both of Black Gas. The 2nd was particularly terrible, not just poor, but downright, complete utter rubbish. Again though the art was good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Thom E. Gemcity

I know it is not as hard core as tony moore and his The walking dead but Eric Powells The Goon has got zombies shed loads of them. It has great funnies, it also has some very genuinly creepy moments and that flashback in volume one always creeps me out the kind of creeping dread feeling that you get when you read salems lot for the first time.

Do yourself a favour pick it up you'll laugh till you croak. Of course there is the danger that you will then come back to life bite and infect someone else with a love of the goon, and the cycle will continue

GGrrr Aarrrggh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Has anyone seen the TV series?

http://walkingdead.fxuk.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jokero

Ridley wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the TV series?

http://walkingdead.fxuk.com/

Just saw the first episode, looks promising. Andrew Lincoln looks like an inspired choice to play Rick. Hope they manage to get a few series out of it, it'd hopefully open up the networks to finally getting the likes of Preacher and some of the other adaptations they've been talking about over the last few years into production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

I know I'm gonna be in the minority on this, but does anyone else pick up a sexist undertone in the Walking Dead?

I mean, the women (with the exception of Michonne and possibly later Andrea) pretty much exist to bargain sex for protection, or to do the camp washing. I remember the scene in the first collected edition where Donna (I think, it's been a while) remarks on this and is promptly told to stop being an uptight so and so.
    Then she promptly died.

When they form a "ruling council" at the end of the second volume, it's all men. Dale offers some excuse that the women just want to be looked after. And the kicker is that Herschel is on the council -
    because a borderline psychotic old man who was pointing a gun at the group a few weeks ago on his farm and is very clearly teetering at the edge is a better choice than any woman

That's saying nothing of the way Lori acts and is treated over the course of the book. She's always wrong, even when she's right -
    for example, over the prisoners.

I know Michonne represents an exception to this (in that she gets her own series of character flaws as opposed to the generic ones the book associates with women) - but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Advertisement