Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Grandfather member of the RIC

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was told over the weekend the my great grandfather was a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary. I have searched the net and there does not seam to be any obvious way of finding his records bar going to Dublin? Or is there?

I find it abit confusing actually because my uncle said that one of the last things he did in the RIC was attend the visit of George V in 1911, which is very interesting. This visit I think took place in June of that year but the 1911 census taken in April shows him living in Tipperary as a 'Farmer'. So you see why I'm confused. My uncle said that Patrick told him himself he was in the RIC, so it must be true?!

Would anyone be able to shine some light on this?

His name was Patrick Cleary.

1911 Census
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tipperary/Inishlounaght/Chancellorstown_Upper/908625/

1901 Census
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Clonmel_Rural/Ardgeeha_Lower/1709975/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't know much about the RIC records. There is an index published in book form which would be in most big libraries which might be a starting point for you. Ancestry has this index too - http://www.ancestry.co.uk/about/default.aspx?section=pr-2008-8-16 - you'd have to sign up for the free trial with your credit card.
    Are you sure you have the right Patrick Cleary on the censuses? If he were in barracks, his initials only would be listed so you'd need to know what barracks and other searchable stats (age, etc) to find him in them. The king's visit was in July, according to the internet!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Yep its the right Patrick in both census. I must give that 14 day trial a go. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Where was he from? Tipperary?

There are 14 people in the ancestry records with that name.

BTW, the Ancestry records only give you the index information for the paper/microfilm records, e.g.

Name: Cleary, Patrick M
    Birth Date/Age: 20
    Birthplace: Tipperary
    Enlisted: 1880
    Film #: 856068
    Page #: 42B

Ponster wrote: »
    Where was he from? Tipperary?

There are 14 people in the ancestry records with that name.

BTW, the Ancestry records only give you the index information for the paper/microfilm records, e.g.

Name: Cleary, Patrick M
    Birth Date/Age: 20
    Birthplace: Tipperary
    Enlisted: 1880
    Film #: 856068
    Page #: 42B

Thanks. The above Patrick could not be him though. He was born in 1881, I think, I'd have to check my notes to be sure.

Yes he was born in Tipperary, most probably in Ballyclerihan / Clerihan church. The general Clonmel area anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I don't see any Patrick Clearys from Tipperary signing up after 1888 though it may be the records that are incomplete.

I have no problem giving you some of the Ancestry info but you'll still have to take a trip to the National Archives in Dublin.

• Advertisement

I don't see any Patrick Clearys from Tipperary signing up after 1888 though it may be the records that are incomplete.

Interesting. I wonder is my uncle correct. I must ask him again. I swore he said he even has some sort of wallet that Patrick used in the RIC.

Thanks
    I have no problem giving you some of the Ancestry info but you'll still have to take a trip to the National Archives in Dublin.

Thank you very much, I would be much appreciative of that info. Yes I understand I'll have to make that trip eventually!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

You could try the PSNI Police Museum (see here). A cousin of mine got plenty of info there about my G-grandfather and his Father-in-law, both of whom served in the RIC.

Perhaps the Garda Museum at Dublin Castle would have records also? Try museum@garda.ie or Ph: (01)666 9999

I have an update regarding my g. grandfather. I believe I was given misleading info regarding his connection with the RIC. I believe he was not a member of the IRC but in-fact a member of the Old IRA during the War of Independence. He trained hundreds? of local people around the Clonmel area, etc. He was also on O' Connell Street during the visit of King George V in 1911, in what capacity I'm not sure but I've been told that he himself (my g. grandfather) said he was a guard (or something like that) on that day, when the King traveled down O' Connell Street.

Would anyone be able to lead me in the right direction regards finding more info about my g. grandfathers involvement with the Old IRA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Try the Military Archives for old IRA members. They have a project ongoing to catalogue pension files for old IRA members and others. Also, UCD Archives collects archives relating to this period in Irish history. On their 'Deposited Collections' page, they have descriptions of collections. One of the collections there is Con Moloney who was involved with the old IRA in Tipperary. Your local library would probably be able to advise about any books written locally about this period.

CeannRua wrote: »
    Try the Military Archives for old IRA members.

Thanks, next time I'm up in Dublin during the week I'll call into them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement