Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW BBC DAB - Larne UHF

Options
  • 29-10-2010 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

29 October 2010: Larne, County Antrim, Northern Ireland

Larne 200W D395037

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Sam the Aerialman

Larne UHF - ON AIR 29/10/10
    Ballycastle VHF - Not Ballycastle Forest UHF
    Carnmoney Hill - Tower extension. Planning application submitted.
    Lisbellaw - New tower built ajacent to UHF transmitter.
    Divis - DAB array on new mast. Tx's rated 10kw online 2011?

With the S1/ S2 UHF aerials spread at Limavady & Brougher and no additional reserves that gives additional aperature for DAB, fairly logical thats the lot.

Arqiva in discussion over Newcastle - Highly directional aerial system plus 7m tower extension above 4 tier UHF panel aerial. 2 tier band 3 dipoles. Perhaps not part of this 2011 roll out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Im confused. I thought Larne alwaways had a TV/FM relay even in the 405 line days (otherwise theyd be getting BBC Scotland).

Is this a new relay. A new mast at the existing relay or the conversion of the existing relay for DTT and/or DAB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭david23

With the S1/ S2 UHF aerials spread at Limavady & Brougher and no additional reserves that gives additional aperature for DAB, fairly logical thats the lot.

Arqiva in discussion over Newcastle - Highly directional aerial system plus 7m tower extension above 4 tier UHF panel aerial. 2 tier band 3 dipoles. Perhaps not part of this 2011 roll out?

There will be seven new BBC DAB (Block 12B) transmitters for NI as part of the 2010/11 rollout.

http://www.radio-now.co.uk/news609.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I'm curious as to why there's a DAB TX going up at a 7 watt UHF TV relay site that serves a village of around 1000 people. :confused: The only thing I can think off is that it's to give better coverage into Enniskillen and/or fill in a reception blackspot on the A4 road to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

I can pick up the BBC DAB Mux (12B) in Dundalk but not the commercial one (on 12D I think it is). Is the commercial mux transmitting on a lower strength or is it more likely that the transmitter I'm getting the BBC one from doesn't transmit the commercial mux at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Peter Henderson

david23 wrote: »
    There will be seven new BBC DAB (Block 12B) transmitters for NI as part of the 2010/11 rollout.

http://www.radio-now.co.uk/news609.htm

I've been told on good authority that there will be a lot more, including some in the ROI:

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=IJ287750&PGSTART=150#pagebar
    Peter - BBC Present/ Future DAB stations…
    All these sites have had been placed on the BBC's list and have planning applications pending. Some of the sites are already on air... I have this on very good authority.

Armagh IH 8914465 114 52 12B 10C / 12D

Ballycastle ID077423 2 150 40 10C / 12D

Ballynahinch IJ362524 1 100 15 10C / 12D

Black Mountain IJ278727 10 301 210 12D / [12B*] 10C

Brougher Mountain IH350527 5 309 44 12B / 12D 11D

Camlough IJ 056246 5 340 50 10C / 12D

Carnmoney Hill IJ336 829 1 207 27 12D

Clermont Carn (Lough) IB174733 5 510 60 12D

Colinward IJ 317803 1 335 35 12D 10C

Craigballyharky (Pomeroy) IH734756 2 232 15 11C / 11D / 12D

Divis IJ 287750 115 12B / [12D*] 10C

Enniskillen IH233457 0.5 61 26 12D

Kilkeel IJ281180 2 254 58 10C /12D

Larne ID394037 0.2 111 22 12D

Leitrim IJ252425 2 312 35 10C /12D

Limavady IC711296 7 356 30 12B / 12D 11C / 12C

Lisbellaw IH309410 1 91 20 11D /12D

Londonderry IC404175 6.3 168 96 12B / 12D 11C

Maddybenny More IC846376 1.5 84 74 12D

Newcastle (NI) IJ362303 5 251 42 10C / 12D

Strabane IH 3939475 274 231 12B / 12D 11C / 11D

Tully Hill (Sligo) ID008028 5 195 25 10C / 11C /12D

Treated as co-sited*

The commercial multiplex is now badly in need of improvement. The coverage compared to the BBC is terrible. Ofcom also need to sort out the frequency problem with the ROI.

Is the commercial mux transmitting on a lower strength or is it more likely that the transmitter I'm getting the BBC one from doesn't transmit the commercial mux at all?

Yes.

The commercial multiplex is transmitted from Black Mountain and not Divis, and at a slightly lower power level (7 kw compared to 10 kw for the BBC)

Most likely you're picking up the BBC from the Armagh transmitter site.

There are only 6 sites that transmit the one and only commercila multlex in the province:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Score_Northern_Ireland#Transmitter_Sites

These are:

Black Mountain
    Limavady
    Brougher Mountain
    Strabane
    Derry
    Colinward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd doubt that coverage from Armagh would extend into Newry. The BBC can't ignore coverage of such a large town on a very important road route I would have thought... Even ignoring the NIMBY perspective of me liking a DAB mux from Camlough, the Newry North or South sites should be considered for a DAB multiplex.

I'd doubt that coverage from Armagh would extend into Newry. The BBC can't ignore coverage of such a large town on a very important road route I would have thought... Even ignoring the NIMBY perspective of me liking a DAB mux from Camlough, the Newry North or South sites should be considered for a DAB multiplex.

Holiday song is in Dundalk TBC so it's possible he/she is getting the BBC multiplex from Armagh. Either that or it's Divis.

Does Camlough coverage not extend into Newry along with Warrenpoint (or is this covered by Kilkeel ?) and Rostrevor ? Maybe that's why there's a planned transmitter for Clermont Cairn (i.e. to extend coverage into these areas)

Interestingly, DAB came up on the BBC's open day in Belfast last week (broadcast on talkback). Quite a few comments from listeners with poor or non existent DAB reception. Obviously a lot of people are buying the radios that are on sale in Currys and Argos, getting them home, and then finding therre is no DAB coverage at all in their area. I didn't hear any satisfactory resolution to this situation from the BBC spokes person on talkback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Armagh would cover Dundalk better than it would Newry as there's a fair bit of higher ground to the west of Newry.

I'd be very suprised if Clermont Carn would be used for DAB by UK authorities, I would suspect they'd only be interested in CC from the point of view of frequency planning and that it is *a* site which broadcasts into NI.

Camlough does broadcast into Newry I believe, but it would also result in significant overspill into the south. If they did want to avoid this at all costs, they should still install a DAB transmitter somewhere in Newry, as opposed to Lisbellaw of all places.

Apologies for going off topic, I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Im confused. I thought Larne alwaways had a TV/FM relay even in the 405 line days (otherwise they'd be getting BBC Scotland).

Is this a new relay. A new mast at the existing relay or the conversion of the existing relay for DTT and/or DAB ?

It's the co-sited UHF/VHF relay.

lawhec wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why there's a DAB TX going up at a 7 watt UHF TV relay site that serves a village of around 1000 people. :confused: The only thing I can think off is that it's to give better coverage into Enniskillen and/or fill in a reception blackspot on the A4 road to Belfast.

I turned up at Lisbellaw and bumped into the two riggers i had a yarn with at Brougher. (I wish Mike Brown would update his transmitter gallery i submitted each one of Brougher's relays back in May) They've built a new tower on farm land off the A4 were the co-sited UHF transmitter is. That's my thinking that it's to cover the A4, the tower was being fitted out with GSM gear on my visit.

Have the Beeb any plans to up the power at their main DAB TX's.

One of the reasons I dont use DAB is that the signal here in Antrim has always been pretty poor (even though Im fairly high up) FM works far better. AFaIK there are no relays (current or planned) around here which would resolve the situation

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Have the Beeb any plans to up the power at their main DAB TX's.

One of the reasons I dont use DAB is that the signal here in Antrim has always been pretty poor (even though Im fairly high up) FM works far better. AFaIK there are no relays (current or planned) around here which would resolve the situation

They will be all be up rated to 10kw during the DSO refit process. Arqiva tell me they have made no decisions on what will happen. So if they don't know then we'll have to wait. All i know is Divis will be upgraded with a new DAB array following commissioning of the aerial systems on the new broadcast mast.

I'd be very suprised if Clermont Carn would be used for DAB by UK authorities, I would suspect they'd only be interested in CC from the point of view of frequency planning and that it is *a* site which broadcasts into NI.

Interestingly TBC, at last weeks festival of radio, the event was co hosted by the BBC and RTE:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2010/10/making_connections_a_festival.html#comments
    BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 4, BBC 5 Live, BBC Radio Ulster, BBC Radio Foyle, RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ 2fm, RTÉ 2XM, RTÉ lyric fm, RTÉ Pulse will all be bringing programmes to Belfast as part of the celebrations.

but none of the local commercial stations such as Downtown, U 105, or Citybeat were involved. I wonder if there are plans afoot to broadcast RTE Digital services in the North ? I assume this is technically possible if they use the frequency allocation for the ROI in NI (no different from the BBC roll out across the province on the same frequency).

I thought it was strange that RTE digital only stations were involved in this venture and not the local commercial ones. I wonder of Jordy from UK Free TV is right in that there's co operation between Ofcom and Comreg behind the scenes that we don't know about ? If there is, then the BBC sites on Clermont cairn and Truly Hill in Sligo wouldn't surpise me, along with maybe an RTE DAB transmitter on Divis in exchange ?. This would also go a long way in solving the RTE Radio 1 reception problem since they closed 567 Khz a couple of years ago.

There could well be something afoot. There was a proposal about ten years ago for a relay site for the UK terrestrial TV channels (analouge) from Claremont directed back into NI in order to clear up a couple of reception blackspots somewhere in S Armagh/Down. At the time it came to nothing probably because the Beeb had given up on any further rollout of their analouge network. But with DSO such ideas could well be back on the cards.

Geographically it has its merits but I could still see some political (improved relations/cooperation notwithstanding) and legal (programme rights) issues with it. Is there much precedent elsewhere in Europe for a broadcaster in Country A using TX sites in Country B to serve viewers/listeners primarily back in country A ?
    This would also go a long way in solving the RTE Radio 1 reception problem since they closed 567 Khz a couple of years ago.

What reception problems ? RTE radio one is available on 252 KHz and its stronger than 567 ever was

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RTE1, 2FM, lyric, RnaG and R1 extra all on Sky & Freesat. No good for portable. :)

Interestingly TBC, at last weeks festival of radio, the event was co hosted by the BBC and RTE:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/2010/10/making_connections_a_festival.html#comments

but none of the local commercial stations such as Downtown, U 105, or Citybeat were involved. I wonder if there are plans afoot to broadcast RTE Digital services in the North ? I assume this is technically possible if they use the frequency allocation for the ROI in NI (no different from the BBC roll out across the province on the same frequency).

I thought it was strange that RTE digital only stations were involved in this venture and not the local commercial ones. I wonder of Jordy from UK Free TV is right in that there's co operation between Ofcom and Comreg behind the scenes that we don't know about ? If there is, then the BBC sites on Clermont cairn and Truly Hill in Sligo wouldn't surpise me, along with maybe an RTE DAB transmitter on Divis in exchange ?. This would also go a long way in solving the RTE Radio 1 reception problem since they closed 567 Khz a couple of years ago.
    From the list you have quoted earlier in this thread, neither site is allocated to broadcast on 12B so it doesn't look like it's in BBC plans. I suspect that political considerations concerning its (current) charter prevents this, and arguably less of a problem for commercial broadcasters all be it that it opens up a number of questions including the need for licencing (presumably through the BCI), directional restrictions, content etc.

Mike, while the idea of broadcasters (mostly PSB's) broadcast terrestrially outside of their country of origin isn't uncommon (used to be quite common in parts of the European mainland until analogue signals were switched off) they were normally done so to add additional choice for viewers in those countries - the only "boomerang" broadcaster I can think of would be XETV (A CW Affiliate station) who transmit from Tijuana in Mexico but whose intended market area is San Diego. There did used to be a microwave link used by ITV & Channel which picked up UHF transmissions near Le Harve on the north French coast before being relayed on to Jersey, but that isn't fully broadcast so doesn't really count.

What reception problems ? RTE radio one is available on 252 KHz and its stronger than 567 ever was

Yes, indeed Mike.

However, there was a furore several years ago when 567 Khz was shut down, that's why the RTE Radio 1 transmitter was swapped to 87.8 from 95.2. At the time RTE stated that a new frequency was to be allocated to Lyric but so far this hasn't happened. The problems in Belfast are of course all due to the Carnmoney Hill Radio transmitter.

Not everyone has longwave on their radios either, especially in car radios. At the time it was suggested that RTE radio could be extended into the north on FM etc. I'm wondering if DAB is being seen as a better way of doing this, hence the presence of RTE digital only stations in Belfast last week?

Of those who atteded this festival, how many would realise that the only way to get RTE XFM or RTE Pulse is via the internet in most parts of NI ? I'd wager that 99.9% probably have never heard of RTE XFM or RTE Pulse. William Crawley even got RTE XFM's name wrong.

watty wrote: »
    RTE1, 2FM, lyric, RnaG and R1 extra all on Sky & Freesat. No good for portable. :)

exept if you have a Sky gnome Watty :D

• Advertisement

Yes, indeed Mike.

However, there was a furore several years ago when 567 Khz was shut down, that's why the RTE Radio 1 transmitter was swapped to 87.8 from 95.2. At the time RTE stated that a new frequency was to be allocated to Lyric but so far this hasn't happened. The problems in Belfast are of course all due to the Carnmoney Hill Radio transmitter.

Not everyone has longwave on their radios either, especially in car radios. At the time it was suggested that RTE radio could be extended into the north on FM etc. I'm wondering if DAB is being seen as a better way of doing this, hence the presence of RTE digital only stations in Belfast last week?
    I don't see any scope for for transmission of FM radio from RTÉ in Northern Ireland taking place, not to say that it couldn't actually be done say with low power transmissions in some strategic places. RTÉ FM radio reception is fine if a little iffy in a few built up areas west of the Bann, it's east of it which has problems in many areas.

Also while long wave is not a popular waveband on radios compared to FM and MW, I'd be very confident that you'd find it on more car radios in Northern Ireland right now than DAB.
    Of those who atteded this festival, how many would realise that the only way to get RTE XFM or RTE Pulse is via the internet in most parts of NI ? I'd wager that 99.9% probably have never heard of RTE XFM or RTE Pulse. William Crawley even got RTE XFM's name wrong.
    Anyone who can currently receive Saorview while resident in the North can get RTÉ's digital radio services. And the last time I checked, it was RTÉ 2XM. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I thought it was strange that RTE digital only stations were involved in this venture and not the local commercial ones.

Nothing to get excited about, all part of the 'Making Connections: a Festival of Radio' which was a side show to the main event the EBU's Digital Radio Conference 2010 and was hosted in Belfast by BBC Northern Ireland and RTE. The Festival included exhibitions and live radio programming from BBC Northern Ireland and RTE (hence no commercial redio). The Today with Pat Kenny show was broadcast from there on Friday (short report at 23:56 mins. in).
    Joint RTÉ/BBC radio festival in Belfast
    Thursday 28 October 2010

RTÉ and BBC radio are joining up for a festival over the coming days which will give people an unprecedented look behind the scenes at the making of some of their most popular programmes.

The 'Making Connections' festival starts today and continues until Saturday and celebrates all things from AM to FM with a little DAB thrown in.

The event takes place at the BBC's Blackstaff studio in Belfast which has been transformed into an exhibition centre for the duration of the exhibition. RTÉ Lyric FM's George Hamilton, BBC Radio 1's Greg James alongside BBC Radio Ulster's Stephen Nolan, Gerry Anderson and Hugo Duncan will all attend the event and they will be broadcasting live from the festival.

Visitors to the festival can take part in a range of interactive activities including reading news bulletins and taking part in a radio drama. The latest radio technology will also be on display during the event.

The 'Making Connections: a Festival of Radio' is running alongside the European Broadcasting Union's Digital Radio Conference 2010 which is also taking place in Belfast.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2010/1028/rteradio.html

Belfast Telegragh - http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/features/still-gaga-for-radio-14981255.html#ixzz12uTnFwwT

Irish Times report from Friday
    Call for investment to expand DAB radio
    IAN CAMPBELL

Fri, Oct 29, 2010

MIXED MESSAGES emerged from yesterday’s Digital Radio Conference in Belfast, depending on the country of origin of the people to whom you talked.

From Australia there was evidence that DAB (digital audio broadcasting) was no longer the sole preserve of public service broadcasters. Closer to home, RTÉ highlighted how digital radio in Ireland would be stuck at 56 per cent population coverage and remain solely in the hands of the State broadcaster until a new regulatory structure and more investment came along.

Joan Warner, chief executive of Commercial Radio Australia, said her organisation had brokered a deal with the Australian government to incentivise the rollout of non-public service DAB stations.

“Every incumbent commercial broadcaster was given the spectrum to run more than one station with no restrictions on what they could do with them,” she said.

The government also gave a guarantee that there would be no new digital-only operators allowed into the five major cities where existing stations would invest in a digital rollout. It worked.

A year on and about 18 new stations have launched in each city. Warner said a few were already making money.

“At this stage we are seeing sponsorships rather than the traditional 15- and 30-second ad slots, but advertising agencies are very excited about it. They have been buying stations for a day and extending their presence on to the accompanying websites.”

An emerging phenomenon is “pop-up stations” which cover special events. A dedicated digital channel was set up by one of the country’s leading music stations for three months to exclusively promote pop artist Pink as she toured the country.

The perception is that niche content is the secret to digital success but there are other drivers, according to Ms Warner, such as better quality audio and ease of use.

In Italy, where analogue radio coverage is notoriously patchy in many parts of the country, the improved broadcast quality is a major selling point.

Despite its progress with DAB, Australia has no deadline for turning off analogue. “We are not interested in talking about a switch-off until government gives us the commitment that the whole industry will move,” Ms Warner said. “Otherwise you end up with a digital divide between metropolitan and country people.”

In Ireland, the debate about a digital switchover for radio is not on anyone’s agenda. To date, the public service broadcaster RTÉ has reached 56 per cent population coverage with its DAB service, offering a choice of seven stations.

About 230,000 people, or 7 per cent of the population, now own a DAB radio in Ireland.

Increasing this number dramatically will depend on Government intervention, according to JP Coakley, director of operations at RTÉ.

“A recurring theme of this conference is that there needs to be some sort of Government support and national agreement to steer a migration to digital.”

The countries that had made the most progress, like Britain and Australia, had a national plan in place that involved commercial and public players, he said. Until the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland agreed on a regulatory framework and the Government was committed to funding, DAB in Ireland would not grow beyond its existing public service footprint.

To bring in commercial stations, the State would need a separate transmission infrastructure – using the same masts but with different antennae. Mr Coakley estimated that about €15 million would be needed.

“In the current economic climate it’s not going to happen immediately,” he said, “but the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland has targeted 2012-13 as when we might see a phasing-in of a service beginning in the large population areas.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1029/1224282230089.html

exept if you have a Sky gnome Watty :D

I have an 8 Euro "iTrip" type CE legal FM transmitter on a cheap FTA sat box and a 2nd on on my attic server.

So all the 2,500 radio on my motorised dish on 88.1 and all 6Gbyte of my CDs as 256K MP3 on 88.5.

Listening in house is on 1973 Fidelity LW/MW/VHF portable (kitchen), Sony ICF2001D, Clock Radio, various 2euro autoscan radios, HiFi FM tuner, and FM radios in phones.

Also strong on portable VHF is RTE1, 2FM, Limerick Hospital!, Lyric, TnaG, Clare Limerick96, Spin, Today FM and others...
    R4 fine on LW on Sony and Clock Radio.

I had the new RTE DAB stations via DTT till my PCI DTT card died. Still have them via WiFi on my Archos 605 PMP, which I can use to change Server WinAmp play list on FM 88.5MHz via webpage

At the time RTE stated that a new frequency was to be allocated to Lyric but so far this hasn't happened. The problems in Belfast are of course all due to the Carnmoney Hill Radio transmitter.

On this occasion RTE were not to put too fine a point on it talking through their back passages. Claremont Carn isint going to get its 95.2 allocation changed this side of the next international FM frequency planning conference (None scheduled/last one 1984) the best one can hope for in this instance is that a frequency change might be negotiated for Carnmoney.
    lawhec wrote: »
    the only "boomerang" broadcaster I can think of would be XETV (A CW Affiliate station) who transmit from Tijuana in Mexico but whose intended market area is San Diego..
    Only example I can think of in Europe is a Czech Longwave station which has its transmitter located in Slovakia (built when it was all the one country) Or (streaching the definition a tad) BBC Radio Wales whose main MW TX is in England.

Given how anal rights holders seem to be about broadcasters transmitting FTA on satellite its hard to imagine them not kicking up a rumpus about the BBC locating their terrestrial transmitters in another country despite said country not being the intended target of said transmitters.

About 230,000 people, or 7 per cent of the population, now own a DAB radio in Ireland.
    Mostly by accident and used for FM
    (Homebase, Maplin, Currys/Dixons Tesco etc selling them here for ages)

I've been told on good authority that there will be a lot more, including some in the ROI:

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=IJ287750&PGSTART=150#pagebar

The commercial multiplex is now badly in need of improvement. The coverage compared to the BBC is terrible. Ofcom also need to sort out the frequency problem with the ROI.

I don't understand,how can the BBC put up TXs in the Republic Of Ireland?

watty wrote: »

Its a pity the BBC radio stations are not available on the ROI Sky epg,I would have thought that the World Service was a given!

just pull out card or do Sky news card trick to swap to UK EPG.

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I don't understand,how can the BBC put up TXs in the Republic Of Ireland?

If the Irish Government are willing to let them of course they can.

The BBC (world service) has/had transmitters in Ascension Island, Cyprus, The United States, Germany and various other places.

TG4 has a transmitter on Divis mountain (near Belfast)

• Advertisement
Advertisement