Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 PVRs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Haven't used one but freeview-HD pvrs should work.

This twin tuner Humax HDR-FOX T2 (available with either 500 GB & 1 TB HDD) is another option.

It meets the video and audio (Dolby Pulse) spec and has MHEG-5.

One thing I'm not sure of with these freeview-HD pvrs is how the epg is handled. The epg will be a very important part of any pvr but the UK only use an MHEG-5 epg. Irish DTT currently displays DVB-SI epg data via the manufacturers built-in guide and is not currently transmitting an MHEG-5 epg.

Will these UK pvrs display the DVB-SI 7-day epg data correctly via a manufacturer's built-in guide?
    or will it only be now & next info?
    or will they only work with a future Irish MHEG-5 epg?
    or all of the above?

Has anyone here on the boards used one of these freeview-HD zappers or pvrs (not TV), if so how does it handle the DVB-SI epg data?

NB: Saorview certified pvrs should appear in due course (would like to see the above Humax on the list :D). It might be best to wait until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭eamonpk

Thanks for the reply - I looked at the Humax and it is impressive but i don't see MPEG4 as part of the spec - is it still OK for the Irish market.

My sagemcom RT 320 freeview hd does display 7 days of RTÉ on the epg.

The RTÉ channels do not have series link on anything though whereas the UK channels do.

But is RTÉ actually broadcasting a series link at the moment ? I doubt it as whatever about the currently tiny amount of people that are aware of saorview,the amount of people with RTE on a digital terrestrial pvr must be tiny altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ALL current HD receivers and all DVB-T2 receivers do MPEG4

The Humax is 99% OK. It's not Saorview certified.
    What "The Cush" says...
    But is RTÉ actually broadcasting a series link at the moment ?
    Oddly the people I know in RTÉ seem to know little about Saorview. Up till now it seems to be a mostly RTE NL show.

Perhaps in coming months series link will be added. Do RTE "transmit it" on the Sky EPG (actually generated by XML files that RTE give Sky).

eamonpk wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply - I looked at the Humax and it is impressive but i don't see MPEG4 as part of the spec - is it still OK for the Irish market.
    Yes the humax T2 will work,the same as my sagemcom.
    It's a much better machine.

Caveat though-Some people here will refer you to the specs for saorview which if implimented in full could cause problems for the reception of saorview on T2 UK freeviewhd equipment.

With a little over 2 weeks to saorview becoming a legally obliged to be on the air service,I'm doubting anything will change.
    As it stands all is good though.

• Advertisement

As it's freeview-HD MPEG-4 is there by default.

Haven't used one but freeview-HD TVs should have no problem with the Irish DTT tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

The Cush wrote: »
    Haven't used one but freeview-HD pvrs should work.

This twin tuner Humax HDR-FOX T2 (available with either 500 GB & 1 TB HDD) is another option.

It meets the video and audio (Dolby Pulse) spec and has MHEG-5.

One thing I'm not sure of with these freeview-HD pvrs is how the epg is handled. The epg will be a very important part of any pvr but the UK only use an MHEG-5 epg. Irish DTT currently displays DVB-SI epg data via the manufacturers built-in guide and is not currently transmitting an MHEG-5 epg.

Will these UK pvrs display the DVB-SI 7-day epg data correctly via a manufacturer's built-in guide?
    or will it only be now & next info?
    or will they only work with a future Irish MHEG-5 epg?
    or all of the above?

Has anyone here on the boards used one of these freeview-HD zappers or pvrs (not TV), if so how does it handle the DVB-SI epg data?

NB: Saorview certified pvrs should appear in due course (would like to see the above Humax on the list :D). It might be best to wait until then.
    The UK uses DVB-SI for an 7/8 day EPG across compatible receivers using EIT data.

MHEG-5 EPG's from other sources used to exist, there used to be one provided by NTL that ceased shortly after Freeview launched, and a special 14 day EPG that was provided to certain receivers via 4TV that lasted a few yeard but closed there during the Summer. Not 100% sure what Freeview+ receivers use for Series Links in the EPG (similar to Series Link on Sky+) but I have a DVB-T receiver that doesn't have MHEG-5 that displays the 7/8 day EPG fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Apogee

Caveat though-Some people here will refer you to the specs for saorview which if implimented in full could cause problems for the reception of saorview on T2 UK freeviewhd equipment.

I doubt there will be a problem with the 'Freeview HD' equipment, with the possible exception of Panasonic badged equipment. The problem with their TVs up until now was they were claiming the equipment complied with the DVB-T standard (which it didn't), rather than any specific/special Saorview issues. The smart buckos in Panasonic never expected their TVs to be used for DVB-T MPEG4 transmissions. And the subsequent behaviour of their customer support in the UK, including the idiot who signed up specially to Boards to have a go at the posters here, and their blatant refusal to acknowledge the fault in their own firmware, shows just how much they "care" about their Irish clients.

As the 'Freeview HD' equipment would have been designed with MPEG4 in mind, I can't foresee any issues. If they comply with the DVB standards like they all claim, there shouldn't be any problems.

As regards Series Link, with Freeview+ my understanding is that Series Link is implemented using DVB-SI as well (or bolted onto it), not MHEG5. Up until now, no information has been forthcoming from RTÉ as to how (or if) they will implemented Series Link.

If anyone has any more information how Series Link works exactly with Freeview+, perhaps they could post the relevant links?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Apogee wrote: »
    I doubt there will be a problem with the 'Freeview HD' equipment, with the possible exception of Panasonic badged equipment. The problem with their TVs up until now was they were claiming the equipment complied with the DVB-T standard (which it didn't), rather than any specific/special Saorview issues. The smart buckos in Panasonic never expected their TVs to be used for DVB-T MPEG4 transmissions. And the subsequent behaviour of their customer support in the UK, including the idiot who signed up specially to Boards to have a go at the posters here, and their blatant refusal to acknowledge the fault in their own firmware, shows just how much they "care" about their Irish clients.

As the 'Freeview HD' equipment would have been designed with MPEG4 in mind, I can't foresee any issues. If they comply with the DVB standards like they all claim, there shouldn't be any problems.

As regards Series Link, with Freeview+ my understanding is that Series Link is implemented using DVB-SI as well (or bolted onto it), not MHEG5. Up until now, no information has been forthcoming from RTÉ as to how (or if) they will implemented Series Link.

If anyone has any more information how Series Link works exactly with Freeview+, perhaps they could post the relevant links?

I have the humax freeviewHD+ its better than the sangam etc

also its like the freesat+ as the same remote control does both

I recorded late movies on rte, tg4 and watch them the next day

watty wrote: »
    Do RTE "transmit it" on the Sky EPG (actually generated by XML files that RTE give Sky).
    Yes sky+ has series link on RTE and TV3.

The sagemcom and the humax both do live pause and instant rewind etc with RTE but at present,you have to manually set a programme to record each time unlike with any other channel on the freeview end of it.
    Most series have a series link at this stage.

• Advertisement

Yes sky+ has series link on RTE and TV3.

The sagemcom and the humax both do live pause and instant rewind etc with RTE but at present,you have to manually set a programme to record each time unlike with any other channel on the freeview end of it.
    Most series have a series link at this stage.

Is there any evidence of 'Series Link' being transmitted in the current Saorview tests?

Just to confirm what lawhec said regarding Freeview using DVB-SI for the EPG. A grab from an Mvision combo box which does not have MHEG5, but displays full EPG for freeview. Freeview = DVB-SI whereas Freesat = MHEG5 (+ compression).

2723455038_a80b2f071e_o.jpg

lawhec wrote: »
    The UK uses DVB-SI for an 7/8 day EPG across compatible receivers using EIT data.

MHEG-5 EPG's from other sources used to exist, there used to be one provided by NTL that ceased shortly after Freeview launched, and a special 14 day EPG that was provided to certain receivers via 4TV that lasted a few yeard but closed there during the Summer. Not 100% sure what Freeview+ receivers use for Series Links in the EPG (similar to Series Link on Sky+) but I have a DVB-T receiver that doesn't have MHEG-5 that displays the 7/8 day EPG fine.

Thanks for that update lawhec. That would explain how Black Briar is receiving programme data for both DTT services in the same epg on his new TV. It would be good if they did similar with freesat for my Humax iCord.

That being the case the pvrs above will display the programme data thru the manufacturers in built guide so there should be no epg problem with overspill reception here or NI.

Is the series link function available within your non-MHEG5 DVB-T receiver?

Of the TV guides I've seen I think the Sony is the best presented/displayed and Philips the worst.

FWIW some of the documents submitted for the commerical DTT muxes seemed to suggest that RTÉ would implement Series Link using MHEG5, but who knows.

Tech specs on implementing Series Link in MythTV here:
    http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/12760
    http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2811

on the sagemcom-you can manually go through the epg or search it,find the programme and hit record and it goes into the record schedule.
    Doing the same on itv1hd,you get a dialogue box telling you it's series linked and do you want to record the entire series yes or no.
    If you say yes,it has an s beside it in the scheduler.

The section with the recorded programmes is similar to sky anytime in that it has a mini screen playing the recording that you have highlighted which changes to the next one if you go to the next in the list etc.
    Handy that.

Apogee wrote: »
    FWIW some of the documents submitted for the commerical DTT muxes seemed to suggest that RTÉ would implement Series Link using MHEG5, but who knows.

RTÉ were testing an MHEG-5 epg (green button I think) around May/Jun, don't think series link was there.

on the sagemcom-you can manually go through the epg or search it,find the programme and hit record and it goes into the record schedule.
    Doing the same on itv1hd,you get a dialogue box telling you it's series linked and do you want to record the entire series yes or no.
    If you say yes,it has an s beside it in the scheduler.

The section with the recorded programmes is similar to sky anytime in that it has a mini screen playing the recording that you have highlighted which changes to the next one if you go to the next in the list etc.
    Handy that.

OK the first bit sound just like a manual record, and the second a proper series link feature. So series link is only appearing on some of the UK channels? And nothing on the Irish channels?

Correct

Series Link is something I would really want. I have a Sony RDR-HX870 DVD/HD_Recorder now for a few years and the Series Link for UK broadcasts and it is really handy. I also have Sky which does the Series Link for all the Irish channels so I am presuming that there must be a series link available on some PVR now or very soon, If anyone out there can confirm any PVR that has the Series Link feature for the Irish channels I would appreciate it

1) RTE have to actually send the info
    2) Then you probably need MPEG5

Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge in this area but I am presuming that RTE(and TV3) are sending the required information to provide the Series Link for Sky which works perfectly on my Sky+ Box. If they are providing for Sky are they not doing for DTT or is satellite completely different.

I am actually looking to get my Mum the PVR as she has just got a new MPEG4 TV and wants to record programs easily and I have told her I will get her the right unit and I think Series Link will be a big help. After that I am going to get myself one and probably ditch the Sky

• Advertisement

If they are providing for Sky are they not doing for DTT or is satellite completely different.

There is no DTT service yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I use windoze Media center as a PVR. If a program is part of a series you get the series link option when setting to record. Today is the first time I have seen the series link option on Irish DTT but have yet to test it. I have also noted that UK recordings adjust automatically if a show starts / runs late. However RTÉ seldom even starts on time. Presumably they are not monitoring the EPG too closely during the testing phase.

Not Saorview approved, but should mostly work:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/10/08/review_dvr_humax_hdr_fox_t2/

Advertisement